What kind of damage can a (new) guitar be subject to when being shipped?

Specifically, if it has a basswood body like a PGM301.
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
I dont know about that, but in airplanes, they have this plastic big box, where you store fragile objects, but no I dont think any damage would be done if the shipping company knows its fragile...
what are you talking about? like musicians friend shipping something? or some dude on ebay?
If its the latter, ask him to pack it with bubble wrap or something cool.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
is it brand new or eBay'd? either way, it's always recommended to take it in for a set-up after shipping. that'll run you between 80-150 bucks depending on what needs to be done. well worth it though. also, i know for a fact that stuff isn't always handled with the most care during shipment. i know people who work for ups...
Its supossed to (if its coming from a store/website)
If its from ^ they probably will trade it if theres any dmg
Quote by Dr. Faustus
What kind of damage can a (new) guitar be subject to when being shipped?

Specifically, if it has a basswood body like a PGM301.

A lot.

But proper packaging can mean the difference between your instrument in brand new condition without a scratch on it and your instrument in pieces.

The super careful way of shipping would be something like this:

-pack the guitar in a hardcase and use something like t-shirts or towels to make sure it can't move in any direction.

-close the hardcase properly

-load the hardcase into a cardboard box (guitar stores revieve their new inventory in these, so if your shipping a guitar yourself, ask your local guitar store for a box).

-fill the box with styrofoam pellets and stick on a bunch of fragile stickers

This might not be the easiest way of shipping, but it's better to spend some money on proper packaging than to have your guitar broken/damaged during transport.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Well here's the story.

I order a PGM301 from Sam-Ash since I went to the stores in my area and they all don't have it in stock - while all the other online stores don't have it in stock. Turns out that they mislabled it and they didn't have it so they said I would get one within 2 weeks. 3 weeks later I call and ask where my guitar is, and they said it would be a while until it is made then shipped, so I asked them to change the shipping address.

They don't change the shipping address, so now it's going to my home instead of my dorm room. I could have it wait at my house until Thanksgiving, but it is cutting it close to the return deadline - if it is a lemon and has issues already - and plus I am stuck playing a Costco guitar for another month and a half.

I could have my parents ship it here, but I'm afraid the box is just going to be manhandled. Plus, I do know it is shipping with a hard case but I don't know how secure everything is on the inside.
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
Quote by Dr. Faustus
Well here's the story.

I order a PGM301 from Sam-Ash since I went to the stores in my area and they all don't have it in stock - while all the other online stores don't have it in stock. Turns out that they mislabled it and they didn't have it so they said I would get one within 2 weeks. 3 weeks later I call and ask where my guitar is, and they said it would be a while until it is made then shipped, so I asked them to change the shipping address.

They don't change the shipping address, so now it's going to my home instead of my dorm room. I could have it wait at my house until Thanksgiving, but it is cutting it close to the return deadline - if it is a lemon and has issues already - and plus I am stuck playing a Costco guitar for another month and a half.

I could have my parents ship it here, but I'm afraid the box is just going to be manhandled. Plus, I do know it is shipping with a hard case but I don't know how secure everything is on the inside.

If Sam Ash think it's packaged good enough to ship to your parents, it's probably good enough to ship from your parents to you. Also, how far away are they that you can't pick it up in person?

By the way, why didn't you ask Sam Ash to ship it to a store near you?

When I asked them about the PGM they told me they could get it from one store to another in about three days (they happened to have one in NJ and I asked in NY).

Anyway, I hope you get it soon. Personally I find the PGM301 one of the most attractive guitars available right now, so I envy you.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!