I started with Black Market (by Weather Report) and was quickly sucked in.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Heavy Weather is amazing.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Heavy Weather (Weather Report), Jaco's self titled album are good places to start. If you can get by Joni Mitchell's voice (of which I am not a fan), Don Juan's Reckless Daughter is a great album. For live album, Trio of Doom is a bit uneven, but still a great listen.
Havona by Weather Report is great
Nobody's said Portrait of Tracy yet....And his first album in general.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
The Word of Mouth is an amazing album, but it showcases his compositional skills much more than his playing.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
The Word of Mouth is an amazing album, but it showcases his compositional skills much more than his playing.

Word of Mouth is the best Jaco album, period. Twins I&II (which is the extended live version of Invitation) shows some great Jaco live solo work as well. 8:30 is the primo recording of Jaco with Weather Report live. Amazing.

Avoid the Live from NYC volumes 1-8. This was Jaco at his darkest time, but they're not bad playing by any stretch. He was solid every night, but very strung out and these performances would be totally out of context if you started with them.

Also, the Shadows & Light version of the song Hejira is worth the CD's purchase alone. Not even Joni Mitchell's bull**** twinkle twinkle little star lyrics can ruin it.

Here's a mental image for you - Joni Mitchell and Toller Cranston did an interperative skating dance of that album. Imagine Joni dancing and skating to such zingers as "I'm pourous with travel fever" and "waltzing on a bridal girl"!!!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^That said, the Punk Jazz anthology is a great start. It has the entire Word of Mouth album on it, except for that bizarre first track. I personally have an unopened LP of Word of Mouth
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..