The situation as it stands in my band is that I am using my mesa/marshall set-up for band practise and gigs, awesome obviously. I have no issues! The issue is that the other guitarist has just bought a new amp, a line 6 spider 3 150w something or other. Now I have tried the spider-valve but never the infamous spider 3, im just worried as to how it will sound, honestly how is it going to sound in a very loud band situation, heavy drummer, plus how is it going to sound playing next my mesa? Im not here to say "omg his amp suxxxzors", I just want my band to have the best sound possible, all ive heard is bad things about the line 6 but as I havent heard it I cant comment, im....intrigued....to hear it, its going to be very awkward if we try and convince him to get a better amp, he just bought this and he seems proud!

Cheers for any help!
Diezel, Motherfucker
it's really not that bad. people here just are biased against it and haven't actually played it. i wouldn't worry about it.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
OMG Line 6 spider is awesome man.
My Gear:
Gibson ES-335 (Dot)
ESP LTD MH-100QMNT
Spider III 75W
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Crybaby Wah
Epi Valve Junior Half stack
DS-1
Line 6 Floor Pod (FOR SALE!!!)
Well, as I'm sure many will disagree with me for the sheer fact that they probably have the most top notch amps out there, I personally think Spiders are a great little amp. =)
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

mic it up and there'll be no issues....if you really want the best sound possible mic everything up. other than that it just comes down to dialing in the right tone.
Quote by spartan 118
I personally think Spiders are a great little amp. =)
Like a 150W amp is little.

The Spider Just plain sucks. Its an Amp which can give you Aids and Tone Herpes
well your mesa will sound tons better. if i were you i would try to talk him intogetting a better amp. but if you dotn feel confortable doing that then just let him hear the difference in your recto and his spider
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Well... don't expect any amp solid state amp to compare to your Mesa, regardless of brand name.

It won't sound too pretty but it should do it's job just fine.

Just remember this:

Tone comes mainly from the fingers and technique.

Gear is just a way to get closer to the sound you're looking for, it isn't the sound.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
people think line 6 are bad cause they are modeling amps (fake sounds)

I've played a few and they are pretty good, maybe not compared to mesa, but still good
!PRS Custom 24 ten top!
Ric 4001!!
Fender Cyclone 2
2x Harmony Acoustics
Goya 107 Range Master

Quote by x8blitzkid8x
people ruin metal like a7x.
dont use the pre sets, dial in your own settings
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
I've been in the same situation, a buddy of mine has a 150watt spider II.

Because tube amps have a much thicker tone, no matter what you do, he's going to be dominating the high frequencies. Don't mic it. Spiders sound better without miking them, they have an extremely brittle tone when miked. He's probably going to have a ton of feedback because his amp will be cranked to like 2/3 while yours is still on standby.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by lazlow325i
it's really not that bad. people here just are biased against it and haven't actually played it. i wouldn't worry about it.

ive played a spider 2, i just really dont liek SS amps, they never sound as open and in your face as tube amps. in a wall of distortion it wont be too too bad, esecially if its liek 100watts ro 150, cosue you may not run into SS clipping there yet
Firstly, I have played a Spider and didn't like it.

Secondly, I can't believe that you have a Mesa and an Orange. One out of the two guitarists in your band has got the right idea about amps. Hire him the Rocker 30.

However, I should just point out that a local pub band where we are has a lead guitarist who plays through a Spider. He is amazing and from where I stand sounds awesome too tonewise. I have no love for them, and maybe it is his incredible talent that makes it sound good but somehow it does sound pretty impressive. So what I'm getting at is if it is not you feeling the lifeless digital responses through your fingertips then see how it sounds before passing judgement.

Still tell him he should of bought something better, that goes without saying.

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Quote by super666fender
ive played a spider 2, i just really dont liek SS amps, they never sound as open and in your face as tube amps. in a wall of distortion it wont be too too bad, esecially if its liek 100watts ro 150, cosue you may not run into SS clipping there yet

There won't be any clipping on the Spider. What you will encounter is speakers being pushed wayyyyy to hard. Make sure you cut the bass and treble back a bit before it's cranked.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I will just see how it goes, cheers, theres every chance that the average gig-goer couldnt even tell the difference, I just wanted to check if spiders really were absolute gash or if people just bandwagon, well I will be able to try it out for myself! Worst comes to worst we can all just help him find something better, I dont actually want to be overshadowing him, thats not what im about, also yeah if he wants to borrow the rocker 30 hes more than welcome! Pain in the arse for me shifting everything though...and eventually he needs his own amp!
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by FRDesign

will you quit saying that in every spider thread.
i bet you've never even tried it, and whats more you've got an mg so you cant talk about tone herpes
owned a spider ii a several years ago, played a few spider iiis at gc.
the spider iii sounds, if anything worse than the ii. and playing it in a loud band situation is not going to be good. for the tone-deaf it'll be passable, but i would not want to be there.
Quote by Guitar-God-Elf
will you quit saying that in every spider thread.
i bet you've never even tried it, and whats more you've got an mg so you cant talk about tone herpes

I'm pretty sure I got an MG when I was a tone n00b.
^ nearing your VJ target, woo. ordering ym ENGL on monday, finally got enough

anyway. seeing as it is the 150w version it shouldnt crap out at reasonable volumes, however it isn't going to sound too great, i advise turning treble down and bass up, don't care what tone he wants but the treble on those things is very horrible and hurtful to the ears lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by FRDesign

The Spider Just plain sucks. Its an Amp which can give you Aids

Threadstarter, just wait and see how they sound together. Maybe the Mesa'll drown out the Spider, maybe the Spider'll actually be kept low. I've tried Spiders a couple of times and yes, they do sound pretty bad, but it's not the end of the world. But if it really does affect the sound of the band, then let him use your Rocker for a while until he decides to upgrade again.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
I have to admit that my friend has a Spider III, and his tone isn't that bad. On the other hand, I don't really know too much about tones, so don't count on me (I have a Microcube and a Zoom G2.1U myself). To be honest I haven't even heard a high gain tube amp, ever.

But for the tone deaf, it's cool
Odds are, in front of a bunch of drunk meatheads no one will be able to hear the difference between an MG and a Mesa Triple Recto.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i think more than anything, his tone is going to bother you.
you're going to have to learn to hold your tongue, or he's going end up resenting you.

if you see him envying ur tone, then see if you can talk him into looking at other amps, in his price range before his 30 day return is up.

it's best to follow his lead. ive seen bands fight over these types of things.

one time i was straight out asked by a guy if i thought his mg stack was good. i told him that "he outplayed his amp, and would probably do better with an amp that matched his playing ability."

it made him feel better than saying it sounded like ass. good luck with ur new amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by FRDesign

shut.the.fuck.up

You are possibly the most annoying fucking user i've seen on here. Theres no need to jokes like that about a goddamn amp, grow the fuck up.

Quote by FRDesign
I'm pretty sure I got an MG when I was a tone n00b.

I doubt anything has changed, you just probably read on UG how knowone likes MGs or Spiders and now your making yourself hate your MG. Have you ever played a Spider? no? then shut your fucking trap.

Now obviously the Spider isnt that great of an amp, but you just annoy the shit out of me seeing as you've never played a Spider.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ nearing your VJ target, woo. ordering my ENGL on monday, finally got enough

I found one for $120, so i may buy it tomorrow.
Quote by igotabcrich32
shut.the.fuck.up

You are possibly the most annoying fucking user i've seen on here. Theres no need to jokes like that about a goddamn amp, grow the fuck up.

I doubt anything has changed, you just probably read on UG how knowone likes MGs or Spiders and now your making yourself hate your MG. Have you ever played a Spider? no? then shut your fucking trap.

Now obviously the Spider isnt that great of an amp, but you just annoy the shit out of me seeing as you've never played a Spider.
Are you ****ing serious, Ive played a spider before and it sounds more digital than R2D2s beep noises.

It ****ing sucks and the MG does too, you obviously have no clue what your talking about so STFU.
ok guys, both had ur say. let's stop messing up this guys thread.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
+1
No need for cursing or personal attacks. Its just a doggone amp.
Quote by FRDesign

Just leave.....
I somewhat agree with Bc on the annoying side of things.

You can be suprised, Obviously you cant really compare it to a mesa but, work your tones together and it will be sounding good!
Last edited by False_God at Oct 19, 2007,
I owned a Spider II for about a year and it was awesome for learning how to play and practice, but in a band setting it was awful. I ended up selling it and buying a Peavey...
well it's not going to sound quite as good as your amp, and i actually prefer the spider to the roland cube(don't know why just do, but don't care for either to much) and if your playing lead it shouldn't be that bad, just make sure you're little louder then him.
Children, calm down. If you keep fighting your punishments will be 2 weeks with nothing but a Squire Hello Kitty guitar and a Marshall MG.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
hahahahaha i know a band that the lead guitarist uses a spyder and i laugh at him because he acts as if hes better than everyone else and it pisses me off and im wayy yonger than him and hes more experinced but still he shoves it in my face taht hes better then me, i ask him what he uses in his crap band and hes like "line 6 spyder 2 mono head" and i laugh my ass off and hes like "whats your ****ing problem" and im like "you amp poo's out dead babies and bunny's" he gets mad at me and the funny thing is that he works at a guitar shop so you would think out of all the people who shouldnt have a line 6 spyder is him but he does and it sucks
sorry i posted a link but its not working
Last edited by convictionless at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by convictionless
hahahahaha i know a band that the lead guitarist uses a spyder and i laugh at him because he acts as if hes better than everyone else and it pisses me off and im wayy yonger than him and hes more experinced but still he shoves it in my face taht hes better then me, i ask him what he uses in his crap band and hes like "line 6 spyder 2 mono head" and i laugh my ass off and hes like "whats your ****ing problem" and im like "you amp poo's out dead babies and bunny's" he gets mad at me and the funny thing is that he works at a guitar shop so you would think out of all the people who shouldnt have a line 6 spyder is him but he does and it sucks
sorry i posted a link but its not working

^ ....dickhead

Thanks to all for the HELPFUL advice, its not the end of the world obviously and if it doesnt sound unuseable then theres no problem, he can always upgrade down the road, if he is happy with his amp then im not going to insult him by calling his equipment crap, I think our bassist might though also to everyone who gets insulted by an amp....why? I dont get 'net mentality sometimes...

Anyway yeah to all who were constructive, if I knew you it would be jagermeister all round
Diezel, Motherfucker