Page 1 of 2
Does anyone practice this sport? If so, how long and how serious are you. What type of vaults, lands, jumps have you done/attempted. I've been practicing for about a year now. So far I can scale 10ft. walls and get over them in about 2 seconds. I have fairly perfect rolls from 8-10ft. Any higher then that and my technique starts to decrease...

So, here are some examples if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JEbYtOEftc0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TPIw3cv8Zls
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jquXcwooV6A
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cBapQdXxGKg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WEeqHj3Nj2c
It's always looked like fun, but I don't think I have the balance or the stamina for it.
tis awesome always wanted to try it but wouldnt know how to start
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
i always love doing that kind of stuff, but i live in the ****tiest area ever to do it so i cant
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Quote by ckellingc
I can Kong some smaller stuff, but I usually just go lazy over em.

I have only been at it for a month or so (and the weather's getting colder here), but I am a long time fan.

Sweet! By the way, hey dude... long time no see.
10ft? You shouldnt be doing drops that high. You'll bugger your knees.
i,ve always want to try it only because it looks so cool,but i don't think i'll ever do it.i'll just stick with MMA
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Quote by Tallman
10ft? You shouldnt be doing drops that high. You'll bugger your knees.

If you land wrong I practice a correct method of landing in a rolling somersault.
I used to do little things like vaults and scaling small walls, but due to a lack of balance and fear of heights i gave it up. Still a big fan of it though.
It's gonna be a blue day
Quote by jasonmetal love
If you land wrong I practice a correct method of landing in a rolling somersault.

I do parkour. So i know about the roll.

What im trying to say, is that even when going into a roll, drops larger than 7ft are dangerous, even if you roll.

Quote by rush4life
How would be a good way to start getting into it?

http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/
Quote by rush4life
How would be a good way to start getting into it?

Start with a ton of core exercises. Squats and calf presses are nice too. You really need strength everywhere. Especially your back, legs, arms and, chest... everywhere really.

http://www.americanparkour.com/

They have some good How To's as well. Search google, I'm sure you can find more.
Quote by Tallman
I do parkour. So i know about the roll.

What im trying to say, is that even when going into a roll, drops larger than 7ft are dangerous, even if you roll.

Well yes, it is all somewhat dangerous. It's not like I go jumping off 10ft+ all the time.
I've always found this to be one of those fads all the scene kids are trying, at least round my end anyway.
Quote by jasonmetal love
Well yes, it is all somewhat dangerous. It's not like I go jumping off 10ft+ all the time.

I didnt mean dangerous, as in, "Oh, its might go wrong" i mean as in the constant strain the knees come under from drops.

height / square of gravity = time in air
time in air x gravity = speed hitting ground
speed hitting ground x weight = how hard you hit the ground.
Quote by Tallman
I didnt mean dangerous, as in, "Oh, its might go wrong" i mean as in the constant strain the knees come under from drops.

height / square of gravity = time in air
time in air x gravity = speed hitting ground
speed hitting ground x weight = how hard you hit the ground.

Well it's just something that comes with the sport...
Quote by jasonmetal love
Well it's just something that comes with the sport...

Not if you avoid big drops, which is the point im getting at.

I dont do anything over 6ft.
Quote by Tallman
Not if you avoid big drops, which is the point im getting at.

I dont do anything over 6ft.

Probably smart :P I don't know, I like them a bit higher I guess. Off topic though, do you do all those crazy flips? I don't and I really don't think I want to try that any time soon.
Quote by jasonmetal love
Probably smart :P I don't know, I like them a bit higher I guess. Off topic though, do you do all those crazy flips? I don't and I really don't think I want to try that any time soon.

Being 6ft 6, flips are seriously difficult ( not to mention scary)

I mostly do precisions, tic tacs, and vaults, and work on my balance.

Havent been able to do it for a while becuase of tendonitis, but im going to try and do a few gentle sessions to get back into it.
Quote by Tallman
Being 6ft 6, flips are seriously difficult ( not to mention scary)

I mostly do precisions, tic tacs, and vaults, and work on my balance.

Havent been able to do it for a while becuase of tendonitis, but im going to try and do a few gentle sessions to get back into it.

Nothing wrong with that at all! I think some of the harder things in Parkour are simply the basics at times.
Parkour seems really interesting. If I wasn't a total fatass I think I'd give it a go.
:stickpoke
Quote by Banlieue
Parkour seems really interesting. If I wasn't a total fatass I think I'd give it a go.

Work out a bit. It's a ****load of fun if you can do it. And it's good exercise.
Yeah, I should do that. I live in a "dangerous" neighbourhood and I'm not much of a fighter, so parkour could really be useful to me someday. I'm praying I'm never in a situation where I would need to fight or flee, but it's good to be prepared.
:stickpoke
Parkour is awesome!

I just went down to my local park to have a bit of a run and I saw some friends doing it! I had no idea that they did it.
I dont care if I get payed out but 'I see people doing it and watching it all the time and it is the ****est sport.

Japanese did it many years before it became popular and it was called Yamakasi. Parkour is just the western worlds rip off version.
Yeah, i do it. I can Kong lengths of picnic benches, Dash and Kash smaller things, Underbars, precisions ect.

Ive been doing it less and less due to the fact that i BMX more now, and all of my mates think that Parkour is stupid
Member of Cryptozoology Group!

Quote by Ichimaru
It's simple to sound like them, tune your guitars down a couple of steps but don't worry if it's actually IN tune or not, then just plug in and throw your guitar out the window.
i was into it then stopped
might start again, mainy tricking with a bit of parkour

Quote by Scott.
I dont care if I get payed out but 'I see people doing it and watching it all the time and it is the ****est sport.

Japanese did it many years before it became popular and it was called Yamakasi. Parkour is just the western worlds rip off version.

yeah what your saying is absolutely true mate
it doesn't mean it isnt fun

and ratting on sports? thats just not cricket lol
Last edited by Aussie_skater at Oct 23, 2007,
I only have the physique for performing meditation at the moment, lol.
Page 1 of 2