At the moment, my lead guitarist and I tend to be pretty fluid when it comes to our roles (we're both pretty good guitarists, although he's a bit better than me at some elements. Some of our lead parts are written for me and some for him, depending on how easy it is for me to play while singing.)

Are we better off strictly defining ourselves as lead and rhythm guitarists, or keeping it loose?
Keep it loose. its really cool to see a band where both guitarists can play well, instead of one good one and one mediocre one.
Quote by Easty1
At the moment, my lead guitarist and I tend to be pretty fluid when it comes to our roles (we're both pretty good guitarists, although he's a bit better than me at some elements. Some of our lead parts are written for me and some for him, depending on how easy it is for me to play while singing.)

Are we better off strictly defining ourselves as lead and rhythm guitarists, or keeping it loose?

Do what works best for you. There is no reason to limit yourselves by trying to conform to the traditional lead / rythem roles.

Personally I think its cool that you can both play lead, and both play rythem. It certainly cant hurt you to continue on as you are.
Keep it loose, it's so much better and more interesting for both of you.
And it doubles the number of ideas for your songs.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by Easty1
Jolly good.

While we're at it, can you recommend some guitars that can handle both pretty well? Preferably in the £200-300 range.

I'm sure some people would answer to that, but you are going to get so much better response at Electric Guitar part of forum.

EDIT: And be sure to name the genre you play.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Last edited by DarTHie at Oct 19, 2007,
Yeah, loose is good. You could try some harmonized solos too, they are awesome, difficult though. If you want to or enjoy rhythm guitar more, get creative. Add some runs in between chords and octave notes. I hate bands with boring rhythm guitar.
Quote by Easty1
Jolly good.

While we're at it, can you recommend some guitars that can handle both pretty well? Preferably in the £200-300 range.

talk about hijacking your own thread.

KsE

You know they rock.
Quote by qotsa1998
Keep it loose. its really cool to see a band where both guitarists can play well, instead of one good one and one mediocre one.

I agree, this has not been explored enough in popular music.