Alright this time I'm not even going to explain the AC30 situation, as most of you know I want one. I thought I was dead set, but I've been really into bass lately and am not sure what to do. I'm not sure whether I want to focus on guitar or bass. So, I currently have an AD15VT for guitar, which I was going to replace with an AC30. But, since I like bass a lot, I was thinking about something else since a starter pack bass amp just doesn't cut it. I guess I could get an amp that takes guitar and bass, but the thing is, I'm crazy picky about my guitar tone. I was thinking Fender Bassman, but that won't cut it for stuff like GN'R. A Thunderverb seems nice, but that's outrageously expensive for me. So, what do I do? Do I save up for a GK or something for bass and an AC30 for guitar? That would mean not having an amp to gig with, as 15 watts won't do much good.

PS. It isn't like I'm just starting bass. I've been playing for a while, and if I say so myself, am a pretty damn good bassist. I just don't know if I want to play bass or guitar or both.

Thanks for the help,
Ben
Ben
wait until you know for sure which you want most. I think it is hard to wait, but I see no other way unless you dont mind buying either of those amps...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Well, I guess I worded it wrong. I want both actually. I want to have the option of gigging bass and guitar. I guess my question is, do I get two separate amps or one that does both well. If the latter is chosen, what are some good affordable examples.
Ben
You could get a tube combo with reasonable power and swap the speaker for a full-range (like those in PA's) but you would be compromising the bass a little. I have done this, it works ok. A 30 watt tube combo would start to distort the bass at fairly low volume however. Or maybe disconnect the internal speaker and run a bass cab, just make sure you get the proper ohms and don't accidentally run the amp without a speaker hooked up.
And plus, I know that I can run my guitar through any bass amp. That wouldn't be a problem except I am so picky about my tone for guitar I don't want to sacrifice it for being able to play bass. I'd rather be restricted to guitar with good tone than bass with an okay guitar tone.

But yeah, what if I got like an AC30 head and ran it into a guitar cab (VOX, Vader, Tone Tubby) and into a bass cab (GK, Ampeg)?
Ben
I've played bass thru a guitar amp head that was connected to a bass cab. That could be your short term solution. Look for one of these big old Ampeg or Traynor tube heads (over 100W, the bigger the better) and get your GK cab. That'll give you solid (if not AC30) guitar tone. Excellent cleans with either of those amps. And you'd have just enough power to drive your bass at gigging volumes.

Then from there you could get your bass head and/or your guitar cab down the road.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by muffinman123192
But yeah, what if I got like an AC30 head and ran it into a guitar cab (VOX, Vader, Tone Tubby) and into a bass cab (GK, Ampeg)?

The AC30's a loud guitar amp, but I doubt it would have nearly enough power for a gigging bass.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
So get an AC30 head with a GK cab? My budget would be about $1000 USD, so that puts me at what $900 for the head and $300 for a 2x12? I'd have to get some help from my parents, but that might be possible.

EDIT: Ahh, nevermind....
Ben
it would probably be better if you bought a guitar amp and a bass amp. maybe another amp besides the ac30 so that you will have some money saved up for the bass amp...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
i really wanna say suck it up and get the thunderverb but then i'm not sure how nice is really is for bass.

hm, no job? scrape and save, that's what i do. i can't really help much more since i haven't really considered this before.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Yes, I really need to get a job. But I don't think that will help all too much for getting a thunderverb since by the time I have that money, I might have/get a car and will need the money for gas.

This sucks.
Ben
what're you playing bass through? sometimes you just gotta sacrifice. i could've gotten a tele and a ton of effects before my amp, but i had to stick it through, and you may have to as well.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

A crappy little starter pack. Which I don't mind for home use, but when I gig I will need something more than like .0000000000001 watts.
Ben
ah damn..

i'm out of suggestions

oh wait, i'm sure it's far from likely, but uh, borrow a bass amp from a friend that may have one... okay i'm done.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I guess I could do that, but then there's always the possibility that that falls through and I have no amp to gig with.

I'm not trying to shoot down everything you guys throw at me, it's just that my options are limited.
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
Alright this time I'm not even going to explain the AC30 situation, as most of you know I want one. I thought I was dead set, but I've been really into bass lately and am not sure what to do. I'm not sure whether I want to focus on guitar or bass. So, I currently have an AD15VT for guitar, which I was going to replace with an AC30. But, since I like bass a lot, I was thinking about something else since a starter pack bass amp just doesn't cut it. I guess I could get an amp that takes guitar and bass, but the thing is, I'm crazy picky about my guitar tone. I was thinking Fender Bassman, but that won't cut it for stuff like GN'R. A Thunderverb seems nice, but that's outrageously expensive for me. So, what do I do? Do I save up for a GK or something for bass and an AC30 for guitar? That would mean not having an amp to gig with, as 15 watts won't do much good.

PS. It isn't like I'm just starting bass. I've been playing for a while, and if I say so myself, am a pretty damn good bassist. I just don't know if I want to play bass or guitar or both.

Thanks for the help,
Ben

Izzy Stradlin played through a Bassman
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, but I'm not really going for the rhythm. More of the lead stuff, Slash, not Bumblefoot or Buckethead.

Plus, Izzy had his cab so that he had two Celestions on the top and two EV's on the bottom.

EDIT: Although I can obtain a '59 reissue Bassman for $999 locally...
Ben
Last edited by muffinman123192 at Oct 19, 2007,
I have that problem with guitar and drums, once I ruled out bass... I have to spend a lot of cash on my drumset, 'cause I play drums in three bands right now, and then I can't buy much guitar stuff, it's tricky...

But I don't want to leave either...
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Last edited by fexnah at Oct 19, 2007,
Bass guitar can go straight into the mixing desk without too much of an effect.

Geddy Lee of rush does that on the last 2 tours
how about get a cheaper guitar amp then buy a cheap(ish) bass amp?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Because I don't want to settle like that. I could do with a cheapish bass amp, but again, my guitar is important, and I don't want to go up playing GN'R with a Blues Junior or something.
Ben