ok i have 5 choices that are all in my price range in a local store of mine
so the question is
which one should i get?

1.this is the one that i will most likely go with
2.this one cause im a fan of acdc and its pretty sweet
3.this is a popular starter so a good choice
4.my friend has this one and reccomends it
5.another popular starter

so whitch ones do you guys think is the best to start with?
DONT BUY A PACKAGE.
For realz.
Buy guitar and amp separately.
For you I would go with a cheap Ibanez and a Roland Microcube.
PACKAGES ALWAYS SUCK. PERIOD.
Rap is music too. It is just another evolution of the medium. Don't be a douche and say it isn't.
I agree with him^, I got a Peavey starter package and the amp was terrible.
DO NOT BUY A PACKAGE buy separate guitar and amp, unless you're mega super ultra rich and can afford to buy a decent guitar the second you realize what a crime you've committed
Its not on your list but the Bc rich SOB son of beast is a good one.Its what i started with.The ibanez metal jumpstart pack is a good one even if you don't play metal.
packages aren't meant to sound good, they're meant for a quick, easy and cheap way to start playing guitar. go with the squire affinity strat pack
That's what she said
if your gonna buy a package, buy a new amp afterwards cuz the amps always suck
Buy a cheap guitar and an amp.

Get a Squire, Ibanez, Epiphone, or something of that sort.

Starter packs Arn't worth it! especially when you really get into guitar!
but i wanna get my fav choice
the les paul
its gangster
and yeah obviously imma get a new amp with it
its just the accesories that come with it
i dont have to buy it seperatley and have a huge clutter
Get a ymaha pacifica 112j and decent amp.. thats what i got, hopefully buying new gear today, but pacifica 112j imo so much better than those squiers, you get more value... but if your really serious about guitar, you should steer away from the starter pack you'l end up spending more on replacing that
I don't care how "gangster" you think your Les Paul Special is, it is still a ****ty guitar for the price. An Ibanez or even a Squier would be much better for that price (or a yamaha). Seriously though, buy everything seperately.
Guitar
Cable
Pick
Case
Strap
is really all you need.
Rap is music too. It is just another evolution of the medium. Don't be a douche and say it isn't.
Quote by groovymr1337
DONT BUY A PACKAGE.
For realz.
Buy guitar and amp separately.
For you I would go with a cheap Ibanez and a Roland Microcube.
PACKAGES ALWAYS SUCK. PERIOD.

+1
Quote by groovymr1337
I don't care how "gangster" you think your Les Paul Special is, it is still a ****ty guitar for the price. An Ibanez or even a Squier would be much better for that price (or a yamaha). Seriously though, buy everything seperately.
Guitar
Cable
Pick
Case
Strap
is really all you need.

thatll cost more by itself
plus if i get all serious about guitar playing then ill replace everything
Dont buy a Squier pack at all. depending on ur budget, id say an Epi LP-100 and an Epi VJ. that should be a pack.
ok all you squier bashers SHUT UP, they are great guitar for what they are which are starters, and it's a huge difference if you ACTUALLY change the amp out
Quote by gagnerants
ok all you squier bashers SHUT UP, they are great guitar for what they are which are starters, and it's a huge difference if you ACTUALLY change the amp out

YEAH!
All your choices are very bad. The most expensive was $249. For guitars a Yamaha Pacifica (Strat type) or Silvertone SSL3 (Les Paul type.) For an amp Peavey Backstage. These should all fall in your budget.
im not sure if imma be a huge guitar player though
if i get into it seriously ill get new stuff
I'd say the 1st one. Though do try to buy separately if at all possible. Also try before you buy.
Quote by GoodGod
I'd say the 1st one. Though do try to buy separately if at all possible. Also try before you buy.

i might
but ive been a big fan of the les paul for awhile now
imma most likely go with that one and buy a new amp around christmas if i like playing and if i get decent
Two things about the Epi Special-II package:

1) The Epiphone LP Special-II is quite simply, the worst guitar I've ever played. I've played Epi Juniors which have been better (despite the fact they should be all rights be inferior). The Special-II is made out of the lowest grade woods Epi have, i.e. you're playing a guitar made out of the trash wood that wasn't good enough for any other. It's hardware is also appalling, the pickups are lifeless and it's got the worst bridge I've ever come across. The bolt-on neck is particularly painful, the damn thing wouldn't have much sustain anyway with it's cheap hardware and wood, and the bolt-on construction takes out what little sustain it has left.
If you're going to get a Les Paul, the very minimum you should get is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. a Studio or below, is not worth the money; you're better off saving up more and getting the Standard. Even then, the Standard isn't particularly great quality. There are other brands than Epiphone which do good LP copies, such as Agile, ESP/LTD, and Tokai, which are worth looking into at this range. Ideally though, you want to be aiming for an Epi LP Custom or higher.

2) Do not ever buy any Epiphone instrument as part of a package or online: you must physically handle the specific guitar before you buy it. Epiphone have very random quality control: a very small percentage of their guitars are masterfully built, however about half are just average at best, and almost half are incredibly poorly made and will fall apart in your hands (let alone play and sound awful). Of course when there's the chance of getting a good one, why would you settle for an average one, let alone a bad one? You have to try out multiple Epis (six or seven at least), and hand-pick the very best one you find. Do not settle for a boxed up one or one you can't try before you buy it: if you can't at least physically hold the specific guitar you'll be buying, then do not buy it, simple as that.

As someone who owns a couple of Gibsons, a couple of Epiphones, and has played countless others, trust me; you will regret buying that Special-II package. I would argue you'll regret buying any package, but you seem hell-bent on having one...
[quote="'[P|E|R|S|O|N"]']look if you're gonna be so damn stubborn then why do you ask for advice?
word
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
dude, please listen to what these people tell you. it is a HUGE mistake getting a starter pack. damn. i mean really. please dude, i am begging you, and i dont even know u. DO NOT get a starter pack. i didnt get a starter pack but i got a guitar for like $200. and i have been wanting a new one for about a year. you know how long i have had the guitar. one year
none of those. You'll hate playing guitar after buying one of those.

epiphones will make you cry.

Get, a BC rich, or something.

don't be tricked by all the amps, cases etc. 200$ for all of that is pure junk.

Just to get a good guitar alone is around 500$+
Have you tried out the Les Paul? Their neck thickness and weight are quite notorious. I'm also siding with getting a separate amp (or multi-effects pedal) and guitar. You'll get a better tone and better working guitar.
You should look into the ESP EC series...even though it's made of an unpopular wood (agathis) around here, it should offer very good setups and ergonomics, so you can focus on playing. IMO, unless you play live, there's nothing wrong with the wood...it sounds like Mahogany with a little loss of definition.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I started with the Squier Affinity Strat Pack.

I don't much like the Frontman 15G amp, but it got me through my first year of playing and should be all you need with a decent clean sound.

The Guitar is great though, the Affinity strats are a bit underrated IMO, it plays great. The electronics aren't all that good but for the price it really is a great guitar to start with I think. Plus you can mod it later.

It's no top of the line but it does the job and came with (atleast for me) a nice guitar.

BTW if you save a little more you could get a nice guitar and nice amp separately.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Oct 19, 2007,
if you MUST get a package, get one of the first two epiphone ones, bud i would strongly recommend against it, get the guitar and amp seperatly.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Roland Mircocube

Squire Affinity Fat Strat

Dunlop Gator Grip picks

Levy Straps (take your pick)

That shouldn't be too much over $300, and would be a MUCH better option. If you decide that you just can't get into it, then sell it. I'm sure it would have a much better resale value than a box of pre-packaged feces.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
As many people have said before, get them both serperately. Most packages are complete BS.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Get a real epi Les paul,SG or a high end squier n a decent amp of ur choice, if that fails,look 4 used guitars and amps but make sure u test them out, if all else fails, get the squier affinity pack
im a mad led zeppelin fan
id kill for a guitar that was made to play classic rock though
any links?
Packages jack up the prices. They'll charge you $200 for a $99 guitar, $40 amp, $2 cable, $3 worth of picks, and a dvd of a fat guy telling you how wonderful the world of guitar is.

Congrats, you've just pissed away $200 on $145 worth of total crap :]

Buy seperately. Always.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Page 1 of 2