is it a bad idea? should u only go to 8 or 9 for metal....i heard that turning gain, treble, mids, or bass to 10 would sound bad
Metal = Everything on 10
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
dude...more is better...i just flip everything to 10
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!

That SUCKS for clean, more isn't always better.

For metal, switch them all to 10, but have bass at like 7 or 8...
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Christ, what's wrong with you lot, you sound like a bunch of 8 year olds

TS, turn them until it sounds good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 20, 2007,
more is better...really its all personal preference...its up to the player...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
If you want a flat tone with no life, then sure, go ahead and turn everything up to full equal levels.
Adjust to avoid mud. That's really what to do. Don't set arbitrary levels and think they're good...experiment.
Quote by steven seagull
Christ, wbhat's wrong with you lot, you sound like a bunch of 8 year olds

Nah, they're brutal, everything sounds best at full

Just set the EQ where you like it TS, regardless of it being on 10 or not.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
It's personal, really; I have an all maple guitar so tone on ten is pretty bright. Great for cleans, though.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by bi-ah!

No, you put all the knobs to eleven, you see? Eleven, straight across.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
No, you put all the knobs to eleven, you see? Eleven, straight across.

...I got a shirt that has a knob pointed to 11...11 owns...period.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
I had to go for the Spinal Tap quote. As far as playing with everything on ten, it won't hurt the amp, unless it's realy crappy. The knobs don't go to ten just for decoration, I always say.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
As long as you don't scoop your mids it should sound fine, within reason. I think turning all knobs to 10 would also sound crap.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Gah. What an unoriginal idea...

Give me a guitar and amp and I could mess with a 3-band EQ for hours trying to get my tone right for different songs and pickup selectors.

More is NOT better. Put each knob at 30% and play. Think to yourself what needs to be added or subtracted to get your tone right. And adjust it.

BTW adding all your EQ's to 10 has practically the same effect as boosting your presence to max, if you have a wide presence range on your pickups. Why don't you just do that?

Or...

Why don't you make your OWN sound...O.o
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Well, I prefer to turn my amp to 11.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
Well, I prefer to turn my amp to 11.

My deville has 12.

"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
TS, just do whatever you like the sound of. I play metal and these are my favourte settings to date:

Gain: 7
Treble: 5
Mids: 10
Bass: 9

its all about how you want to sound.
Gain: 7
Bass: 6
Mids: 4
Treble: 7

I'm in agreement with the guy above me, this is just what I use for Metal.
This is what I use, to sound 'heavy'.

Gain 7.5
Bass 5.5
Mids 8
Treble 9
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by steven seagull

I agree AND play metal. I can get a much better tone with some careful boosting of the lows and mids. Cranking everything to ten seems stupid as hell to me, just like guitars with one knob/pickup.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Alright, let's think about this logically, the bass, mids and treble knobs effectively try to split the frequency range of the amp into thirds. However this isn't easily achieved and so it's usually not quite that, but anyway. Turning an eq knob to noon or 5 is neutral, where it doesn't boost or cut, lowering it cuts that specific frequency band, raising it boosts it.

So say you turn all of them to 10, what are you effectively doing? Trying to boost all the frequencies that the amp puts out, but not effectively because it doesn't quite do it. You know what's a better way of doing it?

The volume knob.

Yes my friend, by boosting all 3 EQ controls the same amount you're effectively creating a crappy volume knob which is quite random in the way it boosts stuff.

The guys who say this is good are idiots and don't know how an EQ works. Don't listen to them.

The only time you would possibly use this is if you had the volume on 10 and had to push a little bit more out of it.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
Alright, let's think about this logically, the bass, mids and treble knobs effectively try to split the frequency range of the amp into thirds. However this isn't easily achieved and so it's usually not quite that, but anyway. Turning an eq knob to noon or 5 is neutral, where it doesn't boost or cut, lowering it cuts that specific frequency band, raising it boosts it.

So say you turn all of them to 10, what are you effectively doing? Trying to boost all the frequencies that the amp puts out, but not effectively because it doesn't quite do it. You know what's a better way of doing it?

The volume knob.

Yes my friend, by boosting all 3 EQ controls the same amount you're effectively creating a crappy volume knob which is quite random in the way it boosts stuff.

The guys who say this is good are idiots and don't know how an EQ works. Don't listen to them.

The only time you would possibly use this is if you had the volume on 10 and had to push a little bit more out of it.

Hendrix must've been an idiot then, since he would often put all controls on his amp at 10.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
You could get away with that on the old Marshalls

Now if you did the same thing on a triple rectifier or something like that it would sound like pudding being slopped into a bowl.
Quote by SG Man Forever
Hendrix must've been an idiot then, since he would often put all controls on his amp at 10.

Read my post again:

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by steven seagull

+1

How high to turn them depends on your amp, your guitar, your pickups, and the song you want to play. If there were a right answer to "what is best" then companies wouldn't spend the extra money on tone pots.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by SG Man Forever

If you're trying to sound clever then it really isn't working...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I use
Gain: 75%
Bass: 50%
Middle: 50%
Treble: 70%

Just start with everything at 50% and adjust from there. Small changes, and see what you prefer.
WTLTL 2011
+1

You can't be serious about the guitar unless you're prepared to learn to use your ears, whether that's recognising notes or learning to hear the differences that your EQ makes and learning to recognise what sounds good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Hmm, I feel like adding though that having all the dials on 10 would be fine if you really liked the inherent character of the amp. Then I guess that's reasonable. EQ's at 10 and volume cranked and you'd really hear the amp and if that's the tone you want, fine.

Still, I personally adhere to the "set everything at 5 and go from there" stance.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay