Hey, ive been needing to upgrade from my H&K matrix 100 SS amp for a while now, and i have found a couple of amps that i think are right, but i need some more opinions from people who have played them, and people who know about them.

I play mostly metal/hardcore like bring me the horizon, parkway drive, Avenged sevenfold. trivium, misery signals etc. So im looking for a high gain amp, with alot of bite.

I can get two amps for realtively cheap, a 6505 combo, or a mesa single rectifier head.
I already have a 2x12 cab, so the mesa would be easier to get transport, but if the 6505 sounds alot better for my style then id rather get that.

There is nothing else really in my price range (im from Australia, so most amps are overpriced here) except the Genz Benz el diablos, which sound alright but im pretty sure the peavey or mesa would sound alot better.

I would like to try out the mesa but i can only order it, no shops anywhere near me have the single recto, only dual and triples.

Would the single rectifier have enough gain? from reviews on HC and here it says it does but just want to make sure. Which amp would be better for me?

Thanks
Mark.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Jackson DXMG
ENGL Fireball E635 100
Peavey JSX
Orange 4x12
G-Major
BBE Green Screamer
Either one. I don't particularly like either amp, but I don't play the genres you do. If you have an opportunity, play the Dual Recto on set on Solid State rectification. It doesn't really sound that far off from the Single.
Hi, I'm Peter
mesa recs = metal.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
do the dual rectos sound alot better because they have the tube rectifiation? not the diode or whatever it is?
Is it worth getting the single recto? or does the dual sound worth the extra money?
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Jackson DXMG
ENGL Fireball E635 100
Peavey JSX
Orange 4x12
G-Major
BBE Green Screamer
95% of tube amplifiers use solid state rectifiers because it's a cleaner type of power transformation. Some people like the tube rectifier "sag," but it doesn't necessarily make it better. Truth is, it's mostly vintage guys who like the tube recto "sag" anyway.
Hi, I'm Peter
So for modern metal id be better off going for the single rectifier?
And does anybody know what would sound better for my type of music? the 6505 or mesa?
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Jackson DXMG
ENGL Fireball E635 100
Peavey JSX
Orange 4x12
G-Major
BBE Green Screamer
either one would be great for your style. im a pretty big trivium fan so i know what they use, and throughout the years they've used mesas and 6505s and either is amazing for metal. the single rec really doesnt vary a whole lot from the dual, just slight difference imo. it just depends if you really want a clean channel or not. the 6505 is amazing for metal, but has no dedicated clean channel. but the mesa has a little worse metal sound(but still great) and a pretty crappy clean channel, but a clean channel at that haha. id probobly go with the 6505. but if you already have a 2x12 why not just get a 6505 head?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Because i can only get the 6505 combo for cheap. The store i buy from is having a sale, and the mesa head and 6505 combo are the same price, 1700. The 6505 head would be 2300.

I think il go the mesa..because all the local bands i see are all using 5150's and 6505's, and they sound good, but they all sound the same.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Jackson DXMG
ENGL Fireball E635 100
Peavey JSX
Orange 4x12
G-Major
BBE Green Screamer
I take it you have anywhere from $600-$850 saved up?

Single rectos are good, they have a bit of a clearer (not necessarily cleaner) signal than a dual recto, a bit more a natural feel, tad more saturation, but not quite as much force as a dual recto.

You might also want to look into an F series, MKIII, or mesa Quad Preamp and 20:20 power amp. A Carvin V3 might also interest you.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio