Hey guys im stuck in a rut....im not improving and im at a fairly intermediate level. I dont know what to learn, but i am mainly a rock and metal guitarist with a few dips in Metalcore. Can anyone suggest some excericizes or songs to improve my speed or technique cuz i want to play fast like trivium, steve vai, etc etc
play exercises with a metronome. but do it slowly.

make sure you're 100% accurate (can get it right every time, not just playing it copmletely right once) before increasing the tempo.

accuracy>speed because with accuracy comes speed.

search for steve vai's 10 hour workout on ug it's got tons of exercises that are good for improving technique.

also check out the advanced techniques forum. there are several threads on speedbuilding.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Select a speed, and play at it. Even if you're sloppy, do it until you're fast enough to play cleanly at the tempo. I did it, but then I don't have the patience to start slow.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
Select a speed, and play at it. Even if you're sloppy, do it until you're fast enough to play cleanly at the tempo. I did it, but then I don't have the patience to start slow.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. And no. Do NOT do this. Learn difficult licks SLOWLY, at a speed you can play them absolutely perfectly, and play that until it's second nature. This will ingrain muscle memory, and will allow you to build up speed. Cutting corners does not exist on the guitar, you can't take a shortcut and expect it to pay off, you'll just realize that bad technique has slwoed you down even more.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
haha trivium
yeah they're hella fast
like, if u are a trivium fan, you should know ember to inferno, or like light to the flies.
those two songs helped me superlots on downpicking.
got me from like
idk to idk
hahaha, but yeah it helps
i also suggest metronomes.
those things don't look like it helps
but it really does.
try it out
peace
hope it helps
Speed is overrated =)

But, for the sake of the thread.

Metronome exercies FTW.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Speed is overrated =)

Metronome exercies FTW.

How's speed overrated?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
speed does not equal great music. way too many guitarists nowadays place emphasis on speed and technicality over developing a great melody.

anyways, just don't think about improving upon speed. work on scales and play licks and solos that you like, with a metronome, making sure that everything is perfect before you speed up. but really just play a lot. practice a lot. you don't even have to practice fast songs. practice a lot and you'll find yourself able to play faster. it's a pleasant surprise.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Speed is overrated =)

Metronome exercies FTW.

Speed isn't overrated, merely overused. Speed is essential to being a good guitarist. Without speed, you can have all the ideas about melody you want, but you'll be stuck playing them three times slower than you wish you could. Many guitarists try too hard to play 20 notes per second, instead of making three or four notes say the same thing as 20 notes played three times as fast. Speed isn't everything, but it is definetley part of thw big picture.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!