Poll: Are the lyrics of the song emo?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are the lyrics of the song emo?
Yes.
76 56%
No.
60 44%
Voters: 136.
Page 1 of 2
O.K. so this is a song I wrote, and after posting it on another guitar website I got flamed for the lyrics being emo. So me and my friend have been kind of debating it, and I really don't see how these lyrics are emo. So in this context without listening to the actual song, are the lyrics themselves emo? And if you think so please tell me what about the song makes it emo. I'm pretty sure this is the right forum for this, but sorry if its not. And please actually think about it before you post.

I am every horrible person you've ever met
I am every hurtful thing that you've ever said
I am all of the voices you can't get out of your head
I am everything you know that you never meant

Oh I can't feel
This nightmare's
finally becoming real

I am all of your sins staring into your face
I am every wrong choice you've ever made
I am every second you've ever put to waste
I am everything about this world that you hate

Oh I can't feel
This nightmare's
finally becoming real

Play all the chords of my heart
til you snap every string.
Destroy me with every note
til there's no notes left to sing.
Am I supposed to find passion in pain?
Music in noise, a melody.
Silence at the sound of your voice
leaves me no choice. Die or leave.

I'm everything you though you'd never need
I'm everything you thought I'd never be
She's everything I need oh I need her
She's everything I need but I need more
your friend is an iot, if these he has to categorise lyrics in a scale of emotion then what the hell does he listen to.
DANK MEMES
The verse or whatever (The I Am _______) part reminds me of Nine Inch Nails

The nightmare part sounds really cliche...

all lyrics are emo because all lyrics have emotion in them...some more than other but thats not a bad thing
S&L is the right forum actually, songwriting and lyrics...and your lyrics lack emotive hardcore anyways
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
hmm

well yeah they could be called emo,but it really depends on how you sing them and on how the song goes.

But it could jus make a good depressing song
Quote by Surfer Rosa
hmm

well yeah they could be called emo,but it really depends on how you sing them and on how the song goes.

But it could jus make a good depressing song

Bingo.
Emo as in emotional - yes. Emo as in genre - who knows, it's actually quite hard to distinguish genres just by reading lyrics. That all depends on the vocal melody, vocal style and the music it's sung over.
These lyrics could easily be a metal, hardcore, emo song but then they could even be alternative, indie (I'm just thinking Radiohead could easily come up with something like that).

I'm guessing from what you say that you don't want them to come across as emo, so all you need to do is make the rest of the song not emo like etc.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Quote by mattyp90
Emo as in emotional - yes. Emo as in genre - who knows, it's actually quite hard to distinguish genres just by reading lyrics. That all depends on the vocal melody, vocal style and the music it's sung over.
These lyrics could easily be a metal, hardcore, emo song but then they could even be alternative, indie (I'm just thinking Radiohead could easily come up with something like that).

I'm guessing from what you say that you don't want them to come across as emo, so all you need to do is make the rest of the song not emo like etc.

Thats kinda what part of the argument was. The guy that said it said he liked the guitar and the vocals, but disliked the song cause the lyrics were emo. Thats what got me mad.
Reads like a stereotypical slightly emo song.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Reads like a stereotypical slightly emo song.

But couldn't it also be a sad song from any other genre? What sets it apart and makes it emo?
it is really hard to tell by just the lyrics along, without knowing what kind of vocal and musical styles you use, but i dont really think anything up until the "play all the chords of my heart..." sound overly emo, but that last verse sounds pretty emo to me at least
kill 'em a lot
To me, it just seems like another teen angst song that you didn't really put any effort into. You were just trying to sound angry/depressed/whatever. Just my opinion, though.
damn all this emo **** is so retarded, emo isn't a genre, you can sing about hating something and it would be emo, you know y? cuz anger is a ****ING emotion....... the lyrics are pretty good in my opinion, if you like em screw everyone else
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
could we hear the guitar/vocals?

The only reason I don't want to show you guys the guitar and vocals is cause I wanted your opinion on JUST the lyrics, without anything else influencing your decision. My voice is kinda soft and whispery because I'm a new singer and don't have very much control over it yet. So a lot of people probably would consider the song emo, but the comment that started the whole arguemnt was this guy sayin he liked the vocals and the guitar, but didnt like the song because the lyrics were emo.
Quote by mattyp90

+1
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
i dont think there emo at all.

and i like them. good work.
the bit about playing the chords of your heart i likd the most.
OLiNOLiN

Quote by Napalmdeth

bassists are not people

Quote by figsandbobo
Sometimes I stick my penis in the hole in the center of the CDs.

emo is a genre of music, albeit a very poorly defined one, and if you take any lyrics by themselves they will appear to be emotional. Fade to Black anyone?
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
The only part of the song that seems emo to me is the last two lines...the rest of it isn't whiny enough to be emo.
Quote by Grimme
I know plenty believe me. I've seen both Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine live, so don't tell me I don't know my metal.

www.myspace.com/awkwardsilencemusic
Quote by Solemn Silence
But couldn't it also be a sad song from any other genre? What sets it apart and makes it emo?

It has that emo tinge to it. Its not always explainable, but there are "right" ways to do sad songs I guess.

Into Eternity is pretty good at it

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/intoeternity/thescatteringofashes.html#7

As is Nevermore

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/nevermore/thisgodlessendeavor.html#1
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by Sol9989
emo is a genre of music, albeit a very poorly defined one, and if you take any lyrics by themselves they will appear to be emotional. Fade to Black anyone?

ya, fade to black has some of the greatest and most powerul lyrics ever written imo

Jack my swag
The second last paragrapsh/verses made me lol, and it's not really emo except for the chorus (the nightmare thing). The Nightmare part was just sorta ridiculous, imo. :P
no, these are some emo lyrics:

you all talk the same
calling out
you all sound the same
calling out
'the old guard is dead! the old guard is dead!
ive seen it with my own eyes!'
regroup and strategize
regroup and strategize
regroup
regroup
regroup
regroup

learn ur emoz newbies
Quote by Solemn Silence
Are these lyrics emo?
No, your lyrics aren't emo.

... but this thread is.

/thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
it's not emo, it's slipknot-like. lol. i wanna here it, cuz with the right music yes it would be emo. or should i say with the wrong music?
I think you might consider it emo because of my voice lol^^

But i wasnt trying to make the song emo when i wrote it. I dont know. I was just trying to do a sad song.
Emo is not real. Do not worry about your song being emo.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Sounds too much like Mr. Self Destruct (I am the bullet in the gun/I am the truth from which you run/I am a silencing machine/I am the end of all your dreams etc.)
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by blackflag49
No, because they're not wearing an overly tight hoodie, or swooshing their hair around trying to look sad.

Okay, I didn't read the lyrics..

I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Really I read it like "This Is Halloween"
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Looks like Three Days Grace lyrics.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Page 1 of 2