But what would happen if you had your computer do something it didn't have the RAM for?

Like what if your computer has 384 mb RAM and you have it run a program that uses 512 mb?

Would it just freeze? Shut down?
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Probobly just lag like hell, or the program would crash or complain about a lack of RAM.

Usually it just uses the Virtual Memory to fill in the gap...and lags...>.>

mine used to anyway
Quote by ep1kz
wtf? why didnt you punch one of them in the face or something? they're not girls, they are fat chavs, they are their own gender
Cause (like I said a few hours ago) I really wanna play WoW, but I need more RAM...
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Well i tried doing that with Age of Empire 3 and it was dead slow and the graphics were bad, so i advise you if you are trying to do that; it's not worth it.
Ok.

One last thing, how do I find out what kind of RAM I have? Cause apparently there's SIMM and DIMM...
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
I think you have to open up the computer. Either that or I do it the complicated way and there's just a menu I haven't found
everything in the entire universe would be turned into rasberry jam if you did that
kill 'em a lot
dude, google your computer's model. i don't know why people don't search for things that are readily available. damn man, you can get a 512 stick for $100 max.

just know it's not a good idea to mix sizes of memory (weird things start happening). rip your other two or three chips out and replace it with 1 512. you'll love it.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
google for a program called cpuz. it tells you tons of useful stuff about your ram and other components.
Got the spirit, but lose the feeling
Quote by PlayMadness
Ok.

One last thing, how do I find out what kind of RAM I have? Cause apparently there's SIMM and DIMM...

There was a thread about it earlier.
You computer besides RAM uses Virtual memory as well (using the hard disk swap file as a memory space) so what will happen is - your computer will run slow as hell.
I started a new wave in music - it's called n00bism...
Oh wait, Curt did it before me
=================
Kramer pacer
Screamin' deamon (neck)
Live-wire metal (bridge, 18v)
Finaly knobs that go to 11
=================
Quote by DougC84
dude, google your computer's model. i don't know why people don't search for things that are readily available. damn man, you can get a 512 stick for $100 max.

2 problems.

1: I have no money, and no possible means of income.

2: My computer is home built (read: cheap bastard) so it doesn't have a "model."
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by PlayMadness
2 problems.

1: I have no money, and no possible means of income.

2: My computer is home built (read: cheap bastard) so it doesn't have a "model."

One conclusion: You're scewed.
Quote by DougC84

just know it's not a good idea to mix sizes of memory (weird things start happening). rip your other two or three chips out and replace it with 1 512. you'll love it.

oh duh. I feel like an idiot now Go to newegg too if you want to buy online
Quote by kidsilcon
One conclusion: You're scewed.

agreed. get a job.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by Maxx_Pouwer
Do you remember what RAM you originally put in there?

No... a friend who thinks he knows a lot about computers built it, and told us it would handle everything we'd ever need
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by PlayMadness
No... a friend who thinks he knows a lot about computers built it, and told us it would handle everything we'd ever need

That idiot did he claim that World of Warcraft wasn't a necessity.
Quote by kidsilcon
That idiot did he claim that World of Warcraft wasn't a necessity.

No, he thought that any RAM over 384 was useless, cause nothing ever uses more than that.

He also said that LimeWire is the fastest and most accurate way to download music and iTunes isn't needed for an iPod.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
ask him for RAM model, look it up, find number of pins and memory type, then buy a new stick(but first you might wanna check if your mobo has an extra slot, otherwise you'll just have to buy a 512 mb stick)
I'm leaning towards having my mom's friend come over (he's a certified Windows tec) and have a look at it.

And just going all out and buying a 1 gb stick and only using that to avoid any problems.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by PlayMadness
No, he thought that any RAM over 384 was useless, cause nothing ever uses more than that.

What the hell, i only put 1.5Gb in this when i made it and i still want more xD
Quote by ep1kz
wtf? why didnt you punch one of them in the face or something? they're not girls, they are fat chavs, they are their own gender