I am seriously looking into building my own amp andi was going to build an 18 watter(from dockery amps) but i dont think that it will be loud enough for what i am looking for so upon looking through webers kits i found a nice 1987x clone that is 50 watts. i was wondering if anyone here has experience with weber kits, how do they sound and such. thanks for any unput
-caleb
Weber is a very well trusted name on these forums.
Whether it's for their speakers, kits, attenuators, mods, you name it.
I haven't dealt with them, but i've heard their amp kits are great.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^i have. not the amp kits, but their speakers and attenuators are top notch. (i got'em.) i'm waiting for the beam blocker too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah, I hear weber is great. If you're after a little cheaper method, head over to 18watt.com, tons of stuff there, sure you could do it yourself.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
yah im a member of 18 watt already its just after you get the trannys and the chassis and stuff you arent saving much, i was looking at the webers and im thinking of either a 36 or 50 watter cant quite decide thought the 50 watter is based off a 1987x which is good for classic rock so im leaning towards that
i want weber's blackface kits, but they say it's a freaking complex build...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
just look at the layout, nothing is that difficult if you read through the directions, it just may have more parts..i think im gunna build a 1987 reissue, im stuck between that and a 36 watter anyone here have some input on which one i like classic rock and blues, nice cleans is essential
Last edited by mercinariesgtr at Oct 20, 2007,
^both weber kits and ceriatone kits don't come with instructions...

if it did i'd have a weber amp already.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well it comes with layouts and schematics which are basically instrustions, they re all you need
Yeah, who needs anything more than a layout? Put the bits together like this, solder, put tubes in, turn on, play. There's your instructions.
^seems like i would forget to put in something...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by cokeisbetter
Yeah, who needs anything more than a layout? Put the bits together like this, solder, put tubes in, turn on, play. There's your instructions.

+1. that said, be sure you can read the layout with 100% accuracy, as well as knowing all the markings on the various components. Make a mistake it could fry your amp, or worse. Having said that, the most important thing is to take your time and double and triple check you make sure you've got the right parts in.
^now ur making me want either a ceriatone kit or a weber kit...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^seems like i would forget to put in something...

Just double check the layout like CJRocker said. Written out instructions wouldn't really be able to help you in that case, anyway.
hmmmmmmmm

okay. i think i'll go for a weber blackface kit...

(they say they're the most complex out of anything though...)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yah i think that the weber kits are really nice, ceriatons are nice but they are really expensive to ship over, i have decided on the 1987 does anyone have a real one of these to help me with how it ll sound
Yay Dockery amps!!! I have built the 18 watter, and my cousin owns the company. Well, he sorta runs it on his own, but still. His real name is jimmy.
oh actually i ordered a 1987x kit last week, i also got all carbon comps for it, sozo's ll be going into it later, i ll make a thread on it when i build it
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
I'm new to this but those Weber kits seem awfully expensive to me. I was thinking of getting a used Hotrod and they run about $350. Are these kits that much better or is it just the satisfaction of building it yourself?