Today I spent a good portion of the day in a Long & Mcquade's. I was interested in purchasing a Fender American Standard Strat in the color scheme of either Chrome red or Candy Apple Red with a maple neck and fingerboard. They checked Fender's website to check the color scheme and to my dismay, THERE AREN'T ANY LIKE THAT!!!!!! It seems as though Fender has stopped making red standard americans... The only other thing they have which is sort of close is a "candy COLA" and it's got a rosewood fingerboard. I personally don't like the candy cola at all. I couldn't believe it! It's ridiculous, thats like the CLASSIC Strat! I am so shocked!
Anyways,
a) what should I do?
b) what are your thoughts on this?
Thank you,
-Dave
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
i always thought the "classic" strat was either a 50s mint green one, a blue, a white one, or a black one
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
*sigh* do you have an answer or is this gonna turn into a debate about what the "classic Strat" is?

kiddding, but seriously, I need advice.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Candy Cola comes in maple, it just don't have a picture.

or you could get a 50's classic series strat, it comes in fiesta red.

Also you can't judge colour based on pictures you see on the internet. I'm sure the Candy Cola red looks beautiful in person.
Last edited by neggbird at Oct 19, 2007,
nice. with it, u'd need some EMG single coils. and a hiwatt amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510590

They have Candy Cola with a maple fretboard on here and there is a pic of a Hot Rod Red with maple, though it's no on the selling list.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN117402

Your right I can't seem to find the classic red, but the Candy Cola seems nice, it's like a dark metallic red. Looks like these come with a maple fretboard.

Also maybe you could look used for a red American strat....
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Oct 19, 2007,
The Candy Cola does come with a maple fretboard:

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/p43321h-6e59ad2cfbb1b54e5d0d6bf3412088d2.jpg

I think it looks really nice, but you could also try finding an '06 Strat in Chrome Red. I got my Mexican Strat a few months ago, brand new from L&M, and it's an '06.

Just out of curiosity which store did you go to? I've only been to the ones in Markham and Burlington.
Quote by neggbird
Candy Cola comes in maple, it just don't have a picture.

or you could get a 50's classic series strat, it comes in fiesta red.

Also you can't judge colour based on pictures you see on the internet. I'm sure the Candy Cola red looks beautiful in person.

I was at the Long & Mcquade's and he showed me what the candy cola looks like in person. The answer is (IMO) terrible.
look at the last one on that page, it's exactly what I want.
O, and it was the Markham location.
**** nevermind, it doesn't. I tried to select it to put it in my cart, it wasn't available as an option.
*sigh*
You know a black strat would be really cool too I think, you can even put a black pickgaurd on there as well. I actually like the black strats a bit more, but if your set on a red one then go for the one you want.

yea. black strat with the maple neck, black pickguard, white plastic parts. i dig that one more.

i can do it to mine with a pickguard swap hahhaha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
yea. black strat with the maple neck, black pickguard, white plastic parts. i dig that one more.

i can do it to mine with a pickguard swap hahhaha.

Awesome you should do that and post pics.

I really want a black strat, just a simple black one that plays really well. Then I can do the Gilmour thing with the black pickgaurd. One of my favorite looks on a strat...

^no way. i like my blackie looking strat. black body, maple neck, white pickguard. its the best!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Buy a black strat, David Gilmour's black strat owns his red one any day :P
Last edited by KillahSquirrel at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by ECistheBest
^no way. i like my blackie looking strat. black body, maple neck, white pickguard. its the best!

Blackie also a very good look on a strat.

Quote by ECistheBest

Neat guitar, says it has a basswood body, sounds like TS would want alder though right?
Unless the tonal difference in minimal...

^that's what i'm gonna find out when i land in japan!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Kinda off topic but you live near me! Anyways did the Long and Mcquade you went to have any strat hss?
Quote by ECistheBest
^that's what i'm gonna find out when i land in japan!!!

So we can assume your gonna come back with a MIJ?
and pics of the new MIJ strat too...

^^who r u talking to?

^ya. i asked my grandpa who plays steel guitar through a fender blackface reissue. he was like... figure out lyrics for this live recording i got from a concert. then i'll buy one for you.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ you said your landing in Japan and was gonna find out about the strat, unless that was sarcasm.

^it was for the other guy haha. edited. yes im getting an MIJ. of course. who doesn't get an MIJ when they go to japan?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^it was for the other guy haha. edited. yes im getting an MIJ. of course. who doesn't get an MIJ when they go to japan?

Well someone who's not a guitar player I imagine..
But they don't count.

Edit: Better get back on the thread topic.

^that's true. but the problem with the MIJ is smuggling it back into the states... how should i go about doing that?

at the customs... just be like... It's MY GUITAR. now **** off... ?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I guess so, I don't see why they would arrest someone for traveling with a guitar. I mean if you bought it and all...

Quote by ECistheBest
^that's true. but the problem with the MIJ is smuggling it back into the states... how should i go about doing that?

at the customs... just be like... It's MY GUITAR. now **** off... ?

Get hardcase, put stickers on said hardcase, possibly a sticker on the guitar too if you have the means of removing it.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Ya, I always thought about getting the black on black. It kicks ass. I think I might do that.
Last edited by Dave Gilmour at Nov 9, 2007,
Quote by MrCarrot
Get hardcase, put stickers on said hardcase, possibly a sticker on the guitar too if you have the means of removing it.

hmmm. u know those stickers as window decals??? the ones u put up for halloween that comes off cleanly. i should try those...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Steel8909
Kinda off topic but you live near me! Anyways did the Long and Mcquade you went to have any strat hss?

Yes. Certainly.