ok so i just started a new band with a bunch of instruments. and we need some good songs (originals) that people can get up and dance too. now iv taken music theory classes and what not. but never in any of them have we talked about what makes a song do that. regee is good because of the bass line. but is that all that it is in the other types of music too. you all know what i mean by a song that gets people moving. but i was just thinking are their certain mixtures of major and minor or certain chord progressions besides 1-5-1-4-5exc that work well? hopefully we can get some talk going on this and come to some kind of a conclusion.
Ok take it from some one who knows iv taken music therory and AP music theroy it helps its not that bad even if they do tell you power cords are lame
I think it has far more to do with rhythm than the melodic side of music theory.

Get a good, solid drum beat and built from there, always thinking about the rhythm.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
I think it has far more to do with rhythm than the melodic side of music theory.

Get a good, solid drum beat and built from there, always thinking about the rhythm.

Agreed, most dance music i've listened to has a steady drum beat all the way through. Try to avoid unusual time signatures as well I think, that could throw people off.
Pshh, I love dancing to 7/4.

Just listen to songs that you feel like you can dance to, then take the common attributes in all those songs and make sure to keep them in your originals.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
The only thing I can suggest is that you have it in 4/4 timing.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
for instruments well its a long list. but there are 7 of us. 5 know guitar 2 know bass 2 drums 3 piano 5 sing 1 banjo 1 mandolin 1 trumpet. some people know more than 1 instrument in case you couldn't tell. but good drum beat and i noticed that the guitar tends to be fill and its more the bass that you dance too. is this true?
Ok take it from some one who knows iv taken music therory and AP music theroy it helps its not that bad even if they do tell you power cords are lame
It's very drum and bass driven.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by ledzepp2994
ok so i just started a new band with a bunch of instruments. and we need some good songs (originals) that people can get up and dance too. now iv taken music theory classes and what not. but never in any of them have we talked about what makes a song do that. regee is good because of the bass line. but is that all that it is in the other types of music too. you all know what i mean by a song that gets people moving. but i was just thinking are their certain mixtures of major and minor or certain chord progressions besides 1-5-1-4-5exc that work well? hopefully we can get some talk going on this and come to some kind of a conclusion.

Its not about the chord progression, its about the beat. The best thing to do is listen to some dance music. You might even want to steal a beat or 2 and try to write around that. The actual chord progressions are more or less irrelevant.
look at Eagles of death metal, they have the sort of music you can dance to, see what they do and see if you can pinch part of that spark
Solid, tight drum beat, heavily accented. Lots of bass.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Alter-Bridge
The only thing I can suggest is that you have it in 4/4 timing.
What about 3/4 for waltzes? Who here hasn't wanted to grab a girl/guy and dance upon hearing the sacred 3/4?

4/4 is generally good for that annoying looking rave party style dancing.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
|-3-3-5-5-0-0-3---3-3-5-5-0-0-3---3-3-5---8---7---7---5---3---1---|
|-4-4-5-5-0-0-4---4-4-5-5-0-0-4---4-4-5---9---7---7---5---4---2---|

|-1-1-3-3-----1---1-1-3-3-----1---1-1-3---7---5---5---3---1---0---|
|-2-2-4-4-2-2-2---2-2-4-4-2-2-2---2-2-4---7---5---5---4---2---0---|
|---------4-4-------------4-4-------------------------------------|

always works
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant