Poll: leave or stay in band?
Poll Options
View poll results: leave or stay in band?
leave
11 58%
stay
8 42%
Voters: 19.
I just joined my first band 2 months ago. It has been a pretty fun experience. I bought a new guitar and amp after i joined as well, and learned a bunch of stuff from the other guitarist. So i'll talk about the pro's and con's of quitting, since many bad things have happened recently.

pro's:The drummer has started to be a jerk and has a tendency to call me names at least 4 times a day just at school, and he controls the whole band since we kicked out the old guitarist-picked the new guitarist without asking anyone about it nor even having him try out, he just played a riff or two for him on the phone and he automatically accepted him..Also, the drummer isn't supposed to be in a band due to his grades dropping when he was in his last band, and we play at his house..The only time we have practice is when his parents go on their random weekly vacations. His garage, where we practice, is also WAY too small, because his parents are pack rats and there are boxes all the way up to the ceiling, the other guitarist has to put his amp on top of mine to fit it in there, it's dark, hot, and we get tons of feedback. The last reason, is that our new guitarist has football practice all of the time, and so we can't do anything ever anyways..Our drummer is trying to get back into football as well..

cons: i hang out with them all at lunch in highschool and they're all pretty buff and would stand up for me, i sit next to our drummer in math and he helps me plus we get to work together on most stuff. If i leave i don't want them all mad at me, because i'd like to still be friends with em all. If i stay we'll probably eventually get stuff going during the summertime.

So should i leave the band or stick it out?
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
I think you got your pros and cons backwards...

but just tell them what you think about the band, and tell them its nothing against them and that you just wanna leave the band
If you're not enjoying it, is there any point being there?

Until you're making an income off your music, it's probably best to just have fun with the guys you jam with, so if you're not having fun, I would quit.

But then, it's evidently not that simple.
Talk to the rest of the band about it... decide to kick the drummer out or something if it isn't gonna work... or if they won't, then I'd say quit. I come from a very small school, but there were always plenty of musicians to jam with even without as band.

Of course, if you can works things out with the drummer, then I'd say stay. However, it seems like his personality isn't the only thing that is a problem...
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Quote by The Spoon
I think you got your pros and cons backwards...

i might have, i thought since i actually want to leave, i'd have the pro's be the reasons i'd be happier leaving,and cons are the disadvantages to leaving.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
I've been in almost the same exact situation, but the drummer in my band quit on us before i could make a choice, but I think you should really think about it and just do what feels right. If you can deal with the drummer and just forget about the stuff he says, then you should stay in the band. BUT if you really feel like you don't want to be in the band anymore, but if you want to stay friends with your bandmates. You can quit the band in a nice way. Not the "**** you guys i quit" but just say you don't want to be in the band anymore because it's just not fun for you anymore. If they will still get mad at you for that just make up some excuse like your parents dont want you playing in a band anymore because they want you to focus on your grades, or something like that.
Quote by Dgretsch892
I've been in almost the same exact situation, but the drummer in my band quit on us before i could make a choice, but I think you should really think about it and just do what feels right. If you can deal with the drummer and just forget about the stuff he says, then you should stay in the band. BUT if you really feel like you don't want to be in the band anymore, but if you want to stay friends with your bandmates. You can quit the band in a nice way. Not the "**** you guys i quit" but just say you don't want to be in the band anymore because it's just not fun for you anymore. If they will still get mad at you for that just make up some excuse like your parents dont want you playing in a band anymore because they want you to focus on your grades, or something like that.

i can forget about the crap he says to me, but we practice at his house(when we do practice) and because of the "crappy music space", i really can't come up with stuff as easily when i've got 0 space at all..i'm seriously right next to the bass player and my neck hits him if i move anywhere. I basically don't have any say in the band either..
By the summertime i'll probably be in my friend's band for like a month because he's coming back from hawaii and they're having a crap load of shows in our local area before he has to leave again lol. Also i'll probably find a permanent band in a few days from other friends as well.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
how about play in more than one band, doesnt sound like you even practice that much atm
Quote by Napalmdeth
how about play in more than one band, doesnt sound like you even practice that much atm

and how do you know how much i practice?..this summer i will probably be in 2, but i have a little something called school..if you've ever heard of it, i actually need good grades so i can go to a little thing called college.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by DoomSentinal
Or voice your complaints with the Band and not here? If it still bugs you then just leave. But until then I say stay.

it's my first ****ing band i was just asking for advice, i guess it's bad to do that here
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
it's my first ****ing band i was just asking for advice, i guess it's bad to do that here

Sorry bout that, didn't mean to sound like an ass. I meant to say was to bring it up with them first, if they're your friends they should respect you and your opinions. Not saying to ask here, that should have been the first thing to do.