Here is a Guide for Amp n00bs before they buy an Amp.

Green= Good
Red= Bad

Line 6 Spider

Pros: Lots of FX and Models
Cons: Sounds Digital, Bad at High volumes, Models sound Awful, Bad FX

Marshall MG
Pros: Looks cool, Makes good Coffee tables and footrests.
Cons: Distortion, Price, Quality, Sound, Digital FX, Doesn't have Modeling, Distortion sounds like Bees buzzing

Roland Cube/Microcube
Pros: Lots of Good Amp Models, Good Built in FX Great Value, Good for Metal and High Gain
Cons: 15 and 20 Watt models don't have Models or Effects

Vox DA-5

Pros: Good cleans, Decent FX, AC and Battery Powered, Very Portable, Light
Cons: At louder volumes it doesn't sound as clear, higher gain settings aren't too lovable, effects aren't as goos as Microcubes .

Epiphone Valve Jr. Combo

Pros: All-valve, cheaper than Most SS amps, simple and great-sounding, gets louder than you'd expect, Sounds AWESOME at high Volumes, Comes in Head/Cab halfstack.
Cons: 8" Speaker on Combo isn't great, needs pedal for Higher Gain apps.

Vox AD-Series Valvetronix
Pros: Great for Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz and Rock, Tube Pre-Amp, Decent at high Volumes, Built in Attenuator on 30-100W Models
Cons: Not very High gain, Expensive compared to other amps in its range.
Last edited by FRDesign at Oct 20, 2007,
from what ive heard, theres no such thing as pros on a line 6 spider

and the cost of an amp being cheap isnt a pro.. it tells u its a piece.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Last edited by fli.pansy at Oct 19, 2007,
Epiphone firefly dsp: brilliant cleans
cons:distortion is noisy and weak

my epi's pick ups dont help much but the big muff does
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Create FlexWave(NOT THE HALF STACK, the half stack sucks, at least the one i played on)
Pros: Good Distortion (has a Overdrive and Heavy), Good Effects.
Cons: Only 3 eq bands, that only change the Clean channel of the amp.
the on board tuner i didn't thing much of, i like having a pedal tuner better.
Laney HCM15
Pros: Solid as hell, good crunchy distortion, price.
Cons: No effects, sounds somewhat digital at high volume.
Guess I can add some stuff to this. These are amps that I would recommend over any of the others that have been mentioned so far.

Vox Valvetronix

Pros: Sounds good for what it is, well-priced, lots of models and effects
Cons: Still not going to give you the sound of a valve amp

Epiphone Valve Jr. Combo

Pros: All-valve, cheaper than a lot of worse SS amps, simple and great-sounding, gets louder than you'd expect
Cons: Too simple for some (but can be sorted by an overdrive and EQ pedal), 8" speaker isn't the best

Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cab

Pros: As VJ combo, plus a better 12" speaker and the ability to use different cabs
Cons: Again, perhaps too simple for some (same remedies)
If you're going to construct a list then you must give all amps a real review, not shooting it down before you even state what it does.

Line 6 Spider
Pros: Decent high gain tones, many effects, low priced in US
Cons: A little thin toned, effects can sound cheezy, clean channels are very thin, overpriced outside of the US.

Marshall MG
Pros: Does everything a practice amp should, nothing sounds awful, nothing sounds great
Cons: you're paying a lot for the Marshall name

Roland Cube
Pros: Great sounds for just about everything, effects sound "real" as do the amp models
Cons: The Cube 60 and higher come with amp models, $60 more than a Spider
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
If you're going to construct a list then you must give all amps a real review, not shooting it down before you even state what it does.

Agreed!

Vox DA-5
Pros: Nice amp settings, good cleans, effects are useable and broaden a beginers mind, can get quite loud, battery/mains run (so it's portable), it's a light amp.
Cons: At louder volumes it doesn't sound as clear, higher gain settings aren't too lovable, effects aren't top notch (but for about a hundred quid, what do you expect?).
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Roland Cube/Microcube
Pros: Lots of Good Amp Models, Good Built in FX Great Value, Good for Metal
Cons: 15 and 20 Watt models don't have Models or Effects

I knew cube 20x has models and effects
how bout you add all those peoples amps to your one main topic? please remove all pros for spider and marshall mg
Lmao.

Don't you just love it when people shoot down an amp they've never even played, just because it doesn't handle the only style they play well?

Srsly. stfu. Every amp has its' pro's. Even spiders and MG's. I own a spider III 75W'er. The higher watt models still sound like crap at high volumes, but they have a decent (digital, but usable) tone at lower volumes. MG's are overpriced, but they're portable, look cool, and add +50 to your coolness rating every time you play it. Especially when you load it with pedals.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga

MG's are overpriced, but they're portable, look cool, and add +50 to your coolness rating every time you play it. Especially when you load it with pedals.

I don't really agree with that at all. Most people could care less what amp you use if you're a good guitarist, having a better amp just makes you overall sound much better. Using a bunch of pedals with a beginner amp is really a bad idea. For one you're making something decent toned sound like it has a layer of static and nastiness over it.

All amps of that range tend to be portable also.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
How the f*ck can people say that MGs are overpriced or "con: price" I mean seriously, it's like the cheapest amp you can buy. I mean you can buy a Marshall MG 10 for like 60 bucks on Ebay, how is that overpriced or "you pay alot of money for the Marshall name", you're not paying much at all if you ask me. When it comes to that kind of money, everything sounds like ****, so atleast be happy that it got "Marshall" written on it.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
ive actually played an MG and a spider and i hated both of them. when i went to guitar center to try out marshalls i wasnt paying attention to the amp i was using. i was like wow this really sucks. i look at it. it was an MG. i was like, "well there we go".

MGs suck so bad hendrix playing one wouldnt even make it sound good
is this only for amps less than $200?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Thought I should point out that the Smaller Cubes do have moddeling and effects, just not as much as the bigger ones, I think.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
what people dont understand about the Marshall MG series, is they made the lowest quality amp, with the biggest name on it. So they are trying to sell the name, i mean if you want to talk in depth of why its crap, i could. I mean for a 50 watter, it should have at least better then pedal distortion, but yet it still sounds as thin as the 15, which also is thin sounding. If your some one that wants more of a "fuzz", or just uses clean, then i would say get the MG series. To me when i played on some of them in GC, i would say there are atleast 5 amps that would sound decent compared to this.
This needs to be Stickied
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
This has been done before, not just the once about 4326438927 times.
IMO, bad idea.
The Line 6 is fine for just practice in your room and if you like the sound then good, that's all you want it for. Same goes with the MG.
Jesus christ, there's more people hating stuff just to be cool on this forum than the entire sXe community of every high school in UK...

Anyway for this side of the pond...
Laney LC15
Pros: All valve, modern sounds, quite a bit of gain, bright, good overall amp.
Cons: Could do with a speaker/valve upgrade, lacks reverb/effects loop (Get the LC15R), not as nice as it's sister amp (VC).

Laney VC15
Pros: All valve, gorgeous sound, british voxy crunch, vintage tone, warm sweet cleans, FX Loop, Reverb
Cons: Again with a speaker/valve upgrade, VCs are unreliable (According to the Laney thread)