just like to hear some positive points on EMG pickups. Im looking to get 81/85(maybe) for some shredding and intense soloing. Are they right for soloing? Is there a better brand of pickup for soloing? just like to hear your opinions
Hi tom
i like them, i've got two 81/85 sets in a les paul and a charvel, and they're pretty fly
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
They are pretty sweet. But they get a little old after a while. Not as versatile as one would hope... and trust me. You think you just want them for solos now, but eventually you will want more out of them. That being said, I'll leave it up to others in this community to recommend you some other pickups or tell me that I'm an idiot, as I'm not as knowledgeable about the vast majority of pickups as I wish I was. I know Rockfields are great, and Bare Knuckles seem to be really popular as well.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
DiMarzio's ftw.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by 4117
just like to hear some positive points on EMG pickups. Im looking to get 81/85(maybe) for some shredding and intense soloing. Are they right for soloing? Is there a better brand of pickup for soloing? just like to hear your opinions

like I said in your other thread, look at the Dimarzio Evo2's
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I want an Evo 2 for my bridge.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I have the 81/85 in my Pacer, I really hated them when I first got them, installed them like all the pros do, 81 in the bridge, 85 in the neck. the 81 sounds really thin and the 85 too muddy, was thinking of getting rid of them then tried reversing them for the heck of it, now my 85 sits in the bridge and the 81 in the neck, I couldn't believe the improvement, they sound awesome now. I'm in no way brand loyal though, I like EMG, Dimarzio, and SD. I've tried all brands and they all have their place, just depends on what model you get in their line, as for passives for shredding, I like the Dimarzio Evolution, and the Tone Zone.
I like mine. EMGs are good for high gain metal, that includes solos with high gain. They aren't the best for clean things or more bluesy/jazzy stuff though. You should also check out Seymour Duncan JB/jazz pickups.
WTLTL 2011
there high gain. very high gain. I love em. they've got this great sustaining fuzz(good fuzz) for bends, have a creamy top end, and a nasty midrange that's still got a little fizz on the low end. there awesome
Ive decided over EMGs and im getting Bare Knuckles, people seem to prefer them. All being said kurt hammett uses 2 81s, so i dont think there bad but you either love em or hate em.
Manchester United
i love my EMGs, they really wail when playing lead, rhythm is heavy and chunky and has this thickness to it that i cant explain just that "ah" sound that gilbery talks of but with rhythm playing, i love my EMGS, and people say the 81 / 85 combo isnt great for cleans, but mess around with volume / tone knobs with both Pups on, bit of chorus and they sound really nice imo, its all personal preference but i know ill stick with EMGs.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works