k, first off sorry if this has been posted before, not really sure what to look for, and yes this is my first post, hi I'm chaz, I'll be chillin here for a while.

I just picked up a cheap Fender Squire Bass and a 15 watt amp yesterday, never played in my life. Already playing Brain Stew and Seven Nation Army

The only thing that seems to be holding me back is my strings vibrating too much. No matter how hard or soft I strum it, if I have a death grip or just a light touch on the neck, I always seem to run into the problem at least once through a song of the string vibrating too much. The string will come down and hit another fret I'm not playing on and make an obnoxious metal on metal sound. I'm pretty confident it's tuned correctly. Without much effort the E string can be pulled up over the top of the neck.

Really lost as to if it's supposed to be like this and it's just something I'll have to get used to, if I'm doing something wrong, or if there is something wrong with the instrument/strings/tuning.

Thanks in advance.
you're new. I made the same noise when i first started too. Just play a little slower and watch what you're doing, fix the error as soon as you can before it becomes a habbit to buzz your frets
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
also, when you play on bass, it helps to put your finger right behind the next fret. Like in Brain Stew, the first fret you play on is 5, but put your finger right behind the fret for space six. Make sure you aren't actually touching the metal though.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12