I just started guitar a little while ago and I'm frikin tone deaf. I can't tell one note from the other. They all kinda sound the same to me. I remember from somewhere that a guy said to turn the distortion up really loud and just listen to it so I guess ill try that. But do you have any other ways or methods of helping me get better at differentiating tones? thanks
Google it.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Not to be a **** or anything, but if that's true why do you play an instrument.

Ps: Distortion won't help with anything but pinch harmonics.

Gear:
-------------------------------
Guitar:
MIM Fender Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Recto
Cube 60

Quote by wyldedarko
Dude, if you already have the capo just put it behind the nut and it lowers everything.

n00bS....
Just keep playing the guitar alot mate. You should get used to being able to hear the differences in notes. It's not easy training your ear at the best of times, just stick with it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Start playing drums instead?

Seriously though, there are lots of (free) programs out there to help with ear training.
It helped for me. I used to tune my strings by ear and I tuned them 1 octave too high, now I'm pretty close.
Quote by boyslikegirls42
I just started guitar a little while ago and I'm frikin tone deaf. I can't tell one note from the other. They all kinda sound the same to me. I remember from somewhere that a guy said to turn the distortion up really loud and just listen to it so I guess ill try that. But do you have any other ways or methods of helping me get better at differentiating tones? thanks

Just stick with it and continue to play.

Most guitarists don't have natural perfect pitch or actively train their hearing, they just play a lot and try to figure out songs without tabs.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Kanthras
Start playing drums instead?

Seriously though, there are lots of (free) programs out there to help with ear training.
It helped for me. I used to tune my strings by ear and I tuned them 1 octave too high, now I'm pretty close.

sure you did.......