Page 1 of 2
hello all, i would just like to tell you all that tomorrow im competing in a massive state wide guitar competion. EVERYONE will be going up there and shredding the fretboard up like the world is ending, but i will be deliberately going against all expectations and improvising on Voodoo Child. all the shredders will get PWNED! infact, im going to go so far as to say that rock n' roll, and blues in general, pwns all shredders. in the ultimate axe battle of all time and space, the shredders would get up and do their thing that they call music, then Hendrix would obliterate them with a stunning rendition of Red House, but then Gilmour would pwn them ALL by doing a massive bend and improvising on one fret. haha shredders will get pwned!
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
...This may have been the most random and stupid thread I've seen.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
I sense first round elimination.....
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
+1 points for not shredding and playing blues.
-5 points for bragging about it.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Woot! Go Random Guy! I Hate Shredders! Destroy Them With Real Music!
Anyone who thinks that music these days is dead doesn't listen to enough music.
hmm I bet there's at least 10 more kids that are gonna play something by Hendrix. I suggest you get a backing track of YOUR own chord progression or something.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
HahahahahahaNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Eh this thread is stupid.
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
Since most people in the guitar community (at least around here) respect shred more than blues...
I don't think you are going to win.
there are no backing tracks allowed, and the comp is limited to 32 people, and none of them will be doing what i will be. and walloping an e minor chord with a g note here and there is not exactly the same as hendrix, it will be my own. oh, and the purpose of this shred is to throw opent the shred vs blues debate

HAHA!
Typical attitude of someone who can't shred and is jealous of people who can.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by mattallica
I will put a wager on it that the shredders do not get pwn3d. If Hendrix+Cobain=You, you must be the sloppiest player ever lol.

No but seriously, you give the impression you think doing Vodoo Child is original...

no actually Hendrix+Cobain>me as in they are better. hell yeah im sloppy as your mums bossoms. but seriously, it is original. all chord progression have already been made and so no chord progression is really original. the improv is the original part. ok so someone throw me in jail for thinking that someone needs to go there and represent Jimi and prove that he lives on

edit: i can shred, but why bother? look at me, i can sweep pick an a minor arpeggio. why would i want to shred? shredding cant bring a tear to a grown mans eye, can it?

HAHA!
Last edited by cobaindrix at Oct 20, 2007,
i think its very important i state this though: i completely respect shredders in their skill. they do have an insane amout of skill and technique, but im just saying that it sacrifices feeling and stuff. but no doubt they are much better guitar players

HAHA!
how about

shredders are equally talented as blues players, and just have different styles.
so shut up with the "LULZ SHREDDERZ R TEH SUXX"
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Dismemberment gives me an erection!
Quote by cobaindrix

edit: i can shred, but why bother? look at me, i can sweep pick an a minor arpeggio. why would i want to shred? shredding cant bring a tear to a grown mans eye, can it?

No I doubt you can. The fact that you said you were sloppy shows it.

There are many beautiful shred songs. At least to me.

Sweep picking a minor arpeggio isn't shredding. Shred has a lot more to do with improvisation than speed.

And the idea that blues/rock and shred are somehow opposite is stupid.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
i think i was a little bit genralistic in my comments. no doubt shredding can be beautiful, but the guys in this comp are the kind of shredders that just tremolo pick and tap a lot

HAHA!
Yea, slot of shredderZ blow lol. But what pisses me off heaps (this isnt you, just alot of Blues players), how just because blues players don't 'feel' it, they think it sucks and the person can't 'play' guitar. Personally, i cannot get into Jimi Hendrix and think he's the msot overrated guitarist of all time ( LOL CONTROVERSY), but i can see he must have something going for him, even though i dont get it.

Anyway, sorry dude i just got pissed off at (what i read as, even though i know you didnt mean it that way) "LOL shred has no feelings. Blues can play guitar better"

anyway, good luck
Quote by cobaindrix
hello all, i would just like to tell you all that tomorrow im competing in a massive state wide guitar competion. EVERYONE will be going up there and shredding the fretboard up like the world is ending, but i will be deliberately going against all expectations and improvising on Voodoo Child. all the shredders will get PWNED! infact, im going to go so far as to say that rock n' roll, and blues in general, pwns all shredders. in the ultimate axe battle of all time and space, the shredders would get up and do their thing that they call music, then Hendrix would obliterate them with a stunning rendition of Red House, but then Gilmour would pwn them ALL by doing a massive bend and improvising on one fret. haha shredders will get pwned!

Sounds like someone has a small penis...
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Oct 20, 2007,
Wow dude, just read your post and think about what you just said

edit:
Quote by cobaindrix
i think i was a little bit genralistic in my comments. no doubt shredding can be beautiful, but the guys in this comp are the kind of shredders that just tremolo pick and tap a lot

oh ok, as long as you apologize
But that was one retarded post. I'm somewhat a fan of shred, in fact, I like blues too, and I don't understand why people can't like both.
Last edited by Maxx_Pouwer at Oct 20, 2007,
i think i wasn't thinking clearly about what i was saying. i agree there are beautiful shred songs, i listened to a joe satriani cd and it was pretty good. perhaps what i mean by 'shred' is the people who just tremolo pick and tap a lot, like those idiots on youtube. i mean, i couldn't listen to that for more than an hour or so, it gets annoying. the solo from master of puppets sounds hella cool to begin with, but it kinda sucks musically, you may as well just make a lot of random noise. i geuss im not a real fan of hardcore metal really. like i love GNR and Black Sabbath and all the more "happy" kinds of bands, but the darker bands i don't much care for. i think it all comes down to the scales guitarists use. i prefer just using pentatonics with a few notes added in here and there to create a great melody. but i don't like using the and major minor diatonic scales in such a way that it creats a 'metally' melody. for example, slash uses e minor and g major a lot, but it always sounds bluesy, where as songs like fade to black that ascend and descend up and down the scales just doesn't do it for me. ok i los my point somewhere along the way

HAHA!
Quote by hollow1928years
So it's a massive state-wide competition for 32 people?

yeah, they had to individually process each application and pick 32 people. tasmania is pretty small though lol

HAHA!
^x2 CAPITAL LETTERS!

Since when has Sabbath been commonly known as "happy"?
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
Last edited by jimmypage27 at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by cobaindrix

*grabs guitar to try*
Quote by cobaindrix
. like i love GNR and Black Sabbath and all the more "happy" kinds of bands, but the darker bands i don't much care for.

um, you think sabbath is "happy"?

and add my two cents, you not opening any debate, simply continuing an on-going one that's probably gone back to when this site opened. Your definitely not the first to try bringing out some Hendrix style thing at a guitar comp to "blow away those shrederz."

you've contradicted yourself already. And playing Hendrix to blow away the shredders would be a contradiction in itself. Hendrix, in case you didn't know, was ridiculed back in the day by contemporary blues artists for his flashiness and guitar technicality. Wolf Smith once said Hendrix was all flash and speed, no feeling.

And hint: you don't gain credibility by having a cobain reference in your screen name.
Quote by jimmypage27
CAPITAL LETTERS!

Since when has Sabbath been commonly known as "happy"?

i mean songs like paranoid have a lighter feel about them. even iron man is still sort of light hearted. i guess it is just ozzy's vocals that im talking about. he actually kind of sings and doesn't vomit and growl a lot. and Tony Iommi seems to use mainly pentatonics... i think

edit: no matter how unskilled anybody says cobain was, he was raw and passionate. he had that intense feeling i try to replicate. and yes i know back in the day hendrix was baged out, but from a modern perspective looking back i can't see how little wing could be critised for having no feeling

HAHA!
Last edited by cobaindrix at Oct 20, 2007,
Now the time is here
For iron man to spread fear
Vengeance from the grave
Kills the people he once saved

Heavy boots of lead
Fills his victims full of dread
Running as fast as they can
Iron man lives again!

that seems all sunshine and roses to me
pwn them with "The Road Less Traveled" by Mattias Eklundh. It has speed when appropriate, it's not wanking, it has cool harmonics and it has soul. + it rocks. xD
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by cobaindrix
i mean songs like paranoid have a lighter feel about them. even iron man is still sort of light hearted. i guess it is just ozzy's vocals that im talking about. he actually kind of sings and doesn't vomit and growl a lot. and Tony Iommi seems to use mainly pentatonics... i think

Yes, Iommi did use mostly pentatonics, though he could play other types of scales. But don't limit yourself to pentatonics, bud. There is so much more you can play from a melodic standpoint.

Take Marty Friedman's improv on Little Wing for instance:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6u1YmHkVNMc
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
Quote by cobaindrix
no actually Hendrix+Cobain>me as in they are better. hell yeah im sloppy as your mums bossoms. but seriously, it is original. all chord progression have already been made and so no chord progression is really original. the improv is the original part. ok so someone throw me in jail for thinking that someone needs to go there and represent Jimi and prove that he lives on

No, but shredding can rip a man's head clean off his neck. Seriously, who are you to say that your blues will 'pwn' everyone else's shred? I say good luck to you, but don;t go in thinking that you're going to beat all the shredders, for all you know you're going to get your ass kicked.
Quote by The Spoon
i wasnt wikipediaing blow job okay, it just happened

Quote by primusfan

one time i fucked a sofa.

Quote by Draken
Freedom of speach?

on a private website?

Based in Russia?

i'm sorry comrade, but you fail.
Shred and blues are seperate but equal.
As far as your selection goes, I've prolly seen over a dozen different voodoo child improvisations. So I doubt the judges will remember you as an original.
Quote by cobaindrix
i mean, i couldn't listen to that for more than an hour or so, it gets annoying. the solo from master of puppets sounds hella cool to begin with, but it kinda sucks musically, you may as well just make a lot of random noise.

says the nirvana fan
Page 1 of 2