Watsup everyone

So, i have an MIM strat. its nice i like the feel n everything i just cant find a good tone out of it. like, i like to play it almost as much, sometimes more than my gibson, but plugged in....i hate it. i dunno if its just me but i cant ever get a decent tone out of it.

so, i have an orange now,yay!! so i got a good amp, i just wanna c what kinda pickups would be good. Eric clapton is a huge influence on me...ummm....frusciante tone is real nice, i like the cleanish tone he has on under the bridge. that is the kind of tone i wish i could have. umm...david gilmour the sounds he gets out of his strat are so sick...so ya, thats more or less the tones im goin for. i was looking into like either some sort of the noiseless pickups, or lace sensors...or watever really. ive heard of bkp n swineshead n lindy fralin, but theyr a bit pricey...i dont really wanna spend more than like $175 USD... Suggestions?
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
^PM the whole thing to CorduroyEW, and he'll wind the perfect pickup for you. it might go over $175 with shipping, since he ships from the UK, but i have his pickups, its worth it. UGers get 10% discount too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I just ordered a set from CorduroyEW. Give him a shout, and see what he can do for you.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
You're talking about 3 different tones.

Clapton uses an active mid-boost circuit in his Strat. Frusciante uses a pretty stock vintage Strat. Gilmour uses single coil-sized EMGs in his Strat. Noiseless pickups won't give you a traditional Strat tone. Lace Sensors, IMO, are mediocre, although you could try the Hot Golds which are supposedly an improvement. Custom pickups, IMO, are always your best bet, but again, you have to really decide what you want to go for.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by CORT noob
I just ordered a set from CorduroyEW. Give him a shout, and see what he can do for you.

really? really? which one did u get? (or what specs?)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
really? really? which one did u get? (or what specs?)

A heavily Degaussed Smooth groove '59 in the neck. A heavy degaussed, but not as much as the neck Smooth groove '59 in the middle. A Swingin' Cool in the bridge that's very evenly wound to give a more straight sound. All will be pretty low output.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

^sweeet. i like my set a lot. it's not 'too' bright, but it gets chimey when i turn down the volume. it gets creamy overdrive from my amp when i turn up the volume.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^sweeet. i like my set a lot. it's not 'too' bright, but it gets chimey when i turn down the volume. it gets creamy overdrive from my amp when i turn up the volume.

Nice!

On topicness, CorduroyEW seems legit, and probably can cook you up something versatile. It's all in the amps anyways.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

I recently bought a set of Fender Custom '69 pickups (the ones wound by Abigail Ybarra, Fender's top winder back in the 60's)... They are pricey, but they are only going up in price, as there were only a certain amount made.
I got mine for $210 Australian, so that'd be around your price range in USD... You might wanna get some while they're cheaper, even if you don't ever end up using them, they're good to just put away for years...
I got my set brand new from a shop in Melbourne, Australia, but you might want to check out this online shop in the US. It's cheap shipping within the USA too...
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitar_index.htm and go to Pickups, then into the Fender strat pickups and to Custom '69.

The Custom '69s are the same ones that Hendrix used and probably alot of other known players back in the late 60's... so these give that sweet strat tone.
i c...well, i dunno. i guess ill ask corduroy...

thnx, i was thinking about the custom 69s... but my friend got a 57 strat, and i love the tone he gets its so nice. he plays alot of gilmour stuff. its not exactly like gilmour, but its a really nice tone. i dunno how to xplain it.
Well here's a list of Gilmour's gear... http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/gear/pink_floyd/
Looks like he used a 70's strat and a 57 reissue strat... and even the 0001 strat! I didnt know that... I wonder how much it's worth now.
Also, with getting the whole strat sound thing, it depends on the guitar and the parts on it.
Strats generally are made from Alder, which gives a bright sound and is a very light wood, and the bridges are made from hardened steel, which helps give that strat tone.
But the pickups of course are the main deal with the sound...
gilmour had emgs in one guitar for a while but didn't like them he just used them because they were quiet
i have 57/62 (which are in your friends strat) i absolutlely love them
perfect frusciante tone.
and once you get that if you have a good amp you can do a wide viriaty of vintage strat tones
i think
give them a look i think you will like them
so you guys are thinkin the custom '69s?

b/c i was kinda thinkin that....or one of the noiseless....i didnt really care too much for the lace sensors...i tried an EC strat w/ em, and they were nice, but not like old eric clapton you know.
any other suggestions?
Fender "Custom Shop" (how can they be custom if you buy them over-the-counter in a box?) pickups run for over $200 a set. For that price, you should spend a small amount more and get custom, handwound pickups. Corduroy has some good ones. Stephens Design should be another company you check out. I have a set of his and they're the best pickups I've ever heard in a Strat. www.sdpickups.com
Hi, I'm Peter
damn....those mojo pickups sound sick...i like them alot. but theyr pretty damn expensive...
well...i like the custom stuff...but i think im gonna go with the 57/62 set.

i like it alot...not necesarily the tone of what ive been describing but i really like its tone....all i gotta do now is get a maple neck for my strat and itll be complete yes!
Quote by flyingv_m3
damn....those mojo pickups sound sick...i like them alot. but theyr pretty damn expensive...

I have a set of "overwound" Mojo V pickups, so they sound like the Mojo Vs but a bit fatter and punchier.
Hi, I'm Peter
i really want the '69 custom pickups but they are just so expensive for me right now
have you ever played 69 pickups?

i personally like the 57s better....idk they sound sick. great tone. ive only played the 69 a few times and less recently than the 57s but ya...i guess its preference