Hi. My name's John.

I'm looking for funk rock bands that use guitars as a lead melodic instrument, this meaning I would prefer bands like old school Red Hot Chili Peppers over James Brown who uses more, sax and trumpet and that sort of stuff. Anything like this would help, as I'm deciding to learn funk rock style.
I think the one and only funk rock band is the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
They have their own unique style that I don't think anyone else could duplicate.
The chilli's are THE funk rock band but there is also Incubus, Janes Addiction and even Rage Against the Machine can be funky at times
My Gear

Guitars:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Standard Strat

Cort Acoustic

Amp:
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 201

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
Check out some Prince.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Man, if you like a raw rock sound, but also with funkiness, check out Mourning Widows (yes, a very upbeat funky name ;P). Its on of Nuno Bettencourt's band, personally I think it was his best so far.

Get the track Mourning Widows - Monkey Paw.
Quote by PissOffImEating
Hi. My name's John.

I'm looking for funk rock bands that use guitars as a lead melodic instrument, this meaning I would prefer bands like old school Red Hot Chili Peppers over James Brown who uses more, sax and trumpet and that sort of stuff. Anything like this would help, as I'm deciding to learn funk rock style.

I say great minds think alike. I love RHCP too, as you can see.
I don't know of other funk rock bands too. I think RHCP is THE band.
Tower of power I guess
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
RHCP is so alternative now that you can't even consider them funk rock anymore. But, since you said old school then I'll agree. The other one that comes to mind is Average White Band. They have a very funk oriented sounds but with a rock vibe. Good stuff, have a listen.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
RHCP is so alternative now that you can't even consider them funk rock anymore........ ......... ......... .........

Well i think that's true, Dani California's no funk.

Certain songs of Stadium Arcadium are funk though, like Charlie, Hump De Bump, Warlocks, Tell Me Baby & Turn It Again.
There's a hint of funk in Torture Me & C'mon Girl too.

Mainly off the "Jupiter" side of Stadium Arcadium.
I have all of RHCP's old albums starting with Blood Sugar Sex Magik haha the old school stuff is really funked out!
Well, they're funkier but they aren't funk songs. Just because the bass is funk influenced it doesn't automatically mean the songs are funk songs. If you compare them to James Brown, Sly and the Family Stone, and Parliament (the funk trinity) you can see the vast differences.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Well, they're funkier but they aren't funk songs. Just because the bass is funk influenced it doesn't automatically mean the songs are funk songs. If you compare them to James Brown, Sly and the Family Stone, and Parliament (the funk trinity) you can see the vast differences.

Well you're right but I think that's all the funk we're gonna get from the peppers right now sadly.
I'm only 16 so I think Hump De Bump is the best degree of funk-rock mix of RHCP, please forgive me for that
Quote by paulefty
I'm only 16 so I think Hump De Bump is the best degree of funk-rock mix of RHCP, please forgive me for that

Hah, don't feel bad. Bales is only 14

Also check out the Spin Doctors. Especially their first album.
Quote by Lendorav
Hah, don't feel bad. Bales is only 14

Hey! I turned 15 3 months ago.

Quote by paulefty
Well you're right but I think that's all the funk we're gonna get from the peppers right now sadly.

No worries. I was just trying to correct the assumption so many people have of RHCP being funk, I don't know why it always has bugged me.
The Higher have a few songs with funky basslines. you might be able to consider some sublime songs somewhat funk-rock as well. i think the chili peppers own this genre, however

EDIT: look at some hendrix as well. a lot of stuff with his wah pedal makes a very funky sound.

also, a more classic sounding sounds that have a few funk-rock sogns:

Aerosmith
Deep Purple
KISS
Trapeze
Living Colour
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
Last edited by wshnationals at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
No worries. I was just trying to correct the assumption so many people have of RHCP being funk, I don't know why it always has bugged me.

Haha. yeah that's true.
Quote by Lendorav

yeah I only have one song of theirs: 2 Princes.
It's kinda funk. very little, like what RHCP is now.
I actually prefer the current RHCP.
It gd to note that their the most notable hits from of yesteryear have not been funk at all. Californication, Under The Bridge.
Only BY THE WAY is leaning towards funk-rock a fair bit.

Haha. all right.
what chords to funk-rock bands usually use?
7ths, 9ths?
Band of Gypsys era Hendrix
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by slashjr123
I think the one and only funk rock band is the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
They have their own unique style that I don't think anyone else could duplicate.

okay wow.

this is wrong.

a lot of dumb **** in this thread.

1, Jane's Addiction have funk influences in two of their songs. They are nowhere near as funky as the chili peppers. just same era stuff, anyone who calls them "funk rock" never listened to funk.

2, see the same with Incubus. Slap bass alternative does not equal funk.

3, Rage you could make an OK argument, but wtf? does no one remember bands from the 70s?

so for actual suggestions.

Defunkt, Funkadelic (Parliament was the Funk band, Funkadelic was the Funk Rock band. See "Who says a funk band can't play Rock".), the Ohio Players had some fairly rocking songs, Tower of Power were more of... a funk jazz outfit but you should still look into them, Prince is a lot of different things but at several points was funk rock, I suppose you could call a few modern bands like the spin doctors or Fishbone "funk rock" but I certainly wouldn't, although both are way funkier than Jane's Addiction, Trapeze, and a certain era of Frank Zappa.

and yeah thats about what I can come up with. RHCP was basically a Funkadelic rip off for the record though. I mean, I love RHCP, favorite band, did it better than Funkadelic.
Funkadelic rip off until 1988.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
check out tomo fujita.

tower of power

the meters

sly and the family stone, etc
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."