When i turn 20 i am planning on going to Europe for some time and i want to go places like Russia and Germany and France and Italy and Hungary. This being said since my only language is English what is a good Language that is used a lot in Europe so as the more places i go i will be able to find people i can talk to.
Raise Your Hand If you Like:

3 inches of blood
Amon Amarth
Coheed and Cambria
Death Cab For Cutie
Every Time I Die
I Killed the Prom Queen
In Flames
Pride Tiger

My cousins band from Vancouver-NWOBCHM- myspace.com/scarstruckmetalband
In all honesty, most everyone in Europe speaks English. I have been told that French people will not speak French to Americans. They don't like to hear us butcher their language so they just speak English. Almost all of Germany is fluent in English as well as in Hungary. In all, probably German (cuz it's sweet) or Russian for practical purposes. Maybe a little of each, just the basics so you can get around if something happens.
English and French are the most widely spoken languages in the world, so you could do well with that stuff.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by misfitsdisciple
English and French are the most widely spoken languages in the world, so you could do well with that stuff.

The Chinese would like a word with you.
Quote by rcw110131
The Chinese would like a word with you.

especially since it is the most spoken language of the world, then english in number two
Swedish?

Oh but then the Finn's will come after you....

Yes thats right....I call them Finn's........
if your going to Russia i suggest you learn to read cyrillics first and learn to speak some Russian
Quote by Cowslayer
Swedish?

Oh but then the Finn's will come after you....

Yes thats right....I call them Finn's........

Lol.

Learn German.
he said widely spoken, chinese is the most spoken, but only really spoken in china, people in america (north and south) asia, africa, australasia and europe speak french and english. They are the two most widely spoken languages in the world
ok, only cuz china has about 20000000 billion people, but too bad none of them have cars, or ways to get out of china. So unless hes going to china, he really doesn't need to learn chinese.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
just learn a bit of each. except maybe hungarian which is apparently one of the hardest languages to learn becasue it is unlike any other language
Quote by joelfaessler
In all honesty, most everyone in Europe speaks English. I have been told that French people will not speak French to Americans. They don't like to hear us butcher their language so they just speak English. Almost all of Germany is fluent in English as well as in Hungary. In all, probably German (cuz it's sweet) or Russian for practical purposes. Maybe a little of each, just the basics so you can get around if something happens.

thats a big misconseption and a load of crap really. Alot of people speak basic english but are nowhere near fluent. My girlfriend is German and her mum cant speak any english at all. Id go with german if I were you. About 100 million people speak it and it is spoken in germany, switzerland,austria and alot of countries that border germany.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by joelfaessler

In all honesty, no.

In countries of germanic origin (Germany, Austria, the scandinavian countries) you'll get by with English.

But France? No way. The French are way too attached to their, in my opinion, obnoxious language.

Hungary? Not in the least bit. Maybe in Budapest, in airports and such, but on the streets and in stores, fat chance.

Eastern Europe and Russia? Forget it.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
This is the worst part of going around Europe: every country has their own language, and depending where you go, a lot of people within each country either can't speak English or won't (yeah france, I'm looking at you...). I'm not too sure about eastern Europe, but in western at least, you'll find that a lot of people speak English in and around tourism hotspots and holiday resorts. As for Russia, I'd assume some people in the big cities (Moscow, St Petersburg, etc) speak a fair bit of English, and if you drop in on the UG office I'm pretty sure they speak a bit of English
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Quote by Mad Marius
In all honesty, no.

In countries of germanic origin (Germany, Austria, the scandinavian countries) you'll get by with English.

But France? No way. The French are way too attached to their, in my opinion, obnoxious language.

Hungary? Not in the least bit. Maybe in Budapest, in airports and such, but on the streets and in stores, fat chance.

Eastern Europe and Russia? Forget it.

Almost everyone in Eastern Europe will speak either English or German as a second language. Otherwise they'd be pretty screwed if they ever had to communicate with anyone from another country.

TS: A bit of German, as it's versatile in Europe and should help you out if you find someone in Eastern Europe who doesn't speak English. A bit of Russian would be useful as you will come across some Russians who don't know any English. However, Russian is very hard to learn. If nothing else, make sure you know the Cyrillic alphabet - it's not hard - so that you can read placenames on signs and so on.

Anywhere in Western Europe, you can get by with English. Rarely will you meet someone who doesn't speak it.

Edit: It has just occurred to me that a huge amount of people in Easten Europe speak some Russian, so Russian would actually probably be very useful.
Last edited by Malakian88 at Oct 20, 2007,
For practicality I'd say German or French, both of which have a lot of speakers and are relatively easy to learn. For coolness I'd say Russian, because it's a completely awesome language. If there was any language I'd like to be able to speak fluently it'd be Russian.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by joelfaessler

English won't get ya far in Italy, France and Spain IMO... They hardly understand anything. Spain is okay, but last time I was in Italy it was just impossible. I had to talk spanish with instead.
Quote by Malakian88
Almost everyone in Eastern Europe will speak either English or German as a second language.

Oh really? Have you actually been there? Which country (ies)?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Probally already said but you should learn german..
In more western countries you could better talk english but we went to poland once and almost none of the people we met could speak english but they could speak german. Also german very much resembles dutch so that is like two languages in one.
Quote by Mad Marius
Oh really? Have you actually been there? Which country (ies)?

No I actually haven't yet, but plan to some day. I know people who have though, and can say with some certainty that none of them were fluent in Polish, Czech, Slovak, Hungarian, Romanian, Serbian, Albanian, Blugarian, Latvian, Lithuanian or Estonian.

I know of no-one who's had any significant communication difficulties in Eastern Europe. People travel there all the time without learning any of the local languages beyond "hello" and "beer".

Edit: Hold on, just remembered that I spent a few days in Estonia once - so far the extent of my Eastern European travels - and none of us needed to speak a word of Estonian.
Quote by misfitsdisciple
ok, only cuz china has about 20000000 billion people, but too bad none of them have cars, or ways to get out of china. So unless hes going to china, he really doesn't need to learn chinese.

Oh yes, none of us have freakin' cars. Of course we don't, we got our refugee trucks.

Dumbass.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Can you even travel to russia now without having to talk to them first?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Can you even travel to russia now without having to talk to them first?

You need like an invitation or something get a visa I think. It's stricter than most places.
Quote by Malakian88
You need like an invitation or something get a visa I think. It's stricter than most places.

Yeah that's what I've heard, too, and you'll have to tell them where you're going and how long you're staying e.t.c.

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Malakian88
No I actually haven't yet, but plan to some day. I know people who have though, and can say with some certainty that none of them were fluent in Polish, Czech, Slovak, Hungarian, Romanian, Serbian, Albanian, Blugarian, Latvian, Lithuanian or Estonian.

I know of no-one who's had any significant communication difficulties in Eastern Europe. People travel there all the time without learning any of the local languages beyond "hello" and "beer".

Edit: Hold on, just remembered that I spent a few days in Estonia once - so far the extent of my Eastern European travels - and none of us needed to speak a word of Estonian.

If you say so.

Some of my friends went to the Czech Republic. They barely managed to communicate with English, German and French. Barely.

Then some other people I know went to Russia, noone spoke anything but Russian, luckily someone in their group also spoke some of it.

Here, in Romania, people in the academia speak English/German/French, but usually in most stores, bars and restaurants, and on the street, people either mumble a bit of English, just barely, or none at all. Unfortunately.

So it's not that you couldn't communicate, but without someone who knows the native language you'd have a tough time.

so it would seem that learning German would be my best bet?
Raise Your Hand If you Like:

3 inches of blood
Amon Amarth
Coheed and Cambria
Death Cab For Cutie
Every Time I Die
I Killed the Prom Queen
In Flames
Pride Tiger

My cousins band from Vancouver-NWOBCHM- myspace.com/scarstruckmetalband
Most people in Germany are somewhat fluent in English, so that'll get you by. France, Italy, and Russia, aren't fluent at English, so if you're spending time in non-turistic areas I'd suggest learning the basic phrases of each country. Three years isn't enough, IMO, to master either french, italian, or russian, specially if you've never tried learning a foreign language before. Spanish, Italian and Portuguese are similar enough to be able to communicate with just one of them.

On the other hand, a positive, friendly vibe and creative hand language will get you more than you could possibly need (yes, that includes sex)