Hey, i recently bought a Krankenstein amp, after testing it out for a bit I noticed the sound was really fizzy and it doesn't have much of a bottom end, I'm really looking for that Metallica black album sound, or get as close as I possibly can.

I think I need to do a bit more tweeking with the amp, you can tell it can produce a good tone, but it's just getting it. Also, it doesn't really have TONS of gain like its supposed too, kinda lacking I think, Lead riffs don't sound too good on it either.

Any ideas at all, distortion pedals, EQ's, even a different amp for the sound I'm going for??

I really don;t care about Krank and their supposed fake reviews and all that, I just wanna get a sweet tone!!

Thanks guys!
Isn't Krank like reaaaally expensive? like diablos, diezel or superduper mesa boogies?
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
yeh man, well I'm in the UK so i ordered it from the states and saved a bit of money, but it costed me about $1700. so its expensive stuff and im a bit bummed out with the tone really. At the moment i'm playing it on like volume 2 in my house and it's literally tearing the walls down, so I'm hoping when I get to practise I can turn it up and the sound will be much better!
ok let me get this straight, you essentially imported a krank....but you live in the UK...and coulda got a marshall for really cheap? because metallica used marshall, and since the st. anger times it's been mesa
what kind of guitar do you have tho?
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
that's right. I had a Marshall Mode 4, i've never really liked the distortion on Marshalls really, I think it's quite generic, so i decided it was time for a change. I'm using a Jackson Kelly KE2 with an EMG 81 on the bridge and an EMG 60 on the Neck.
I know a guy who also uses the krankenstein but he has a maxon pedal, that sounds pretty kool, but i dunno!
put the lows to about 9, the mids to about 6, and the highs to about 7, and the gain from 5-8, and i don't know if you have presence, but if so, put it around 7

edit: cuz it's kinda weird, because i get really good sound (i think at least) out of a littel crate GT65, it's solid state, and only 65 watts, but i get "good sound" considering the fact thats it's a pretty crappy amp, so i dunno why you can't get good tones out of a krankenstein..., and i have a jackson DKMG Dinky, EMG 81/85
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
oh dear...

actually try pm-ing erock503, he gets decent tone with his krankenstein.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok cheers man! Thanks to the guy above aswell, I'll try those settings out and play around with them! I heard erock503 clip of the Framus Cobra, and i think i'm prefering that sound! AAAH!
Well a lot of people don't like the Krankenstein. Did you get a chance of tryig it before you bought it? Can you return it?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
well, the other thing is, if erock gives you hints and you still don't like it, since you got it in the states, you might be able to sell it on in the UK for not much loss.

why on earth did you not try one, though?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well we used it in recording, the engineer had one and a peavey xxx and i thought the sound he got from it was killer, especially with the maxon pedal. I just can't seem to get the tone i'm looking for
A realllllllllly old cab, a make I haven't even heard of, roseni I think it is, but this actually sounded far superior to the mode 4 cab!
Yeah, that's because the entire M4 line is pretty bad. And the cab may be part of the problem, but Kranks sound like what you're describing in general. The cleans are great, though.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Check your PM's bro, I have a couple tips that might help.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Hey man, there's no message?! If you could re-send it that'd be great thanks man
Also, I tried out a dual rectifier today, far superior sound, awesome low end aswell as that hi-gain and scooped mids, damn!! im gonna sell my krank for it, definately!
go into your profile, I sent it there. If you're selling it though, maybe no point in messing with it. The sound certainly isn't for everyone.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Your first mistake was buying a Krank.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Oct 20, 2007,
Ok, i've decided to sell the krank and get either a mesa dual recto or a engl power ball, both with a Maxon OD808 pedal. Any thoughts guys??
I think you'll dig the powerball more actually, and it should be priced better where you are.
amp clips
amp vids
what kinda money do you have? i mean if you have enough for a recto you have enough for other (and in my opinion, better) amps.

you won't need an od808 with the powerball o_O (though it might help with the mid-gain tones)

brunetti xlr-evo is very nice. brootalz, but more versatile than the powerball.

soldano avenger is very nice.

higher engls, e.g. the savage, SE, invader etc. can be got for less, or not much more, than the recto if you buy from e.g. thomann.

vht deliverance, pittbull...

bogner xtc

cornford (various models, perhaps not br00talz enough)

framus cobra (ask erock about that one)

koch powertone

diezel vh4/herbert (maybe pushing the budget a little)

lots of options...

lots of options.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?