Hey there

I was wondering, what are the Line 6 Spider III amp's like? More specifically I am looking at the Spider III 15 Watt version. It's basically my first guitar which I am buying and am just trying to see what I could get for my money and what would be best for the style of music I want to play (eventually lol). I am looking to be playing classic/hard rock and heavy metal so want an amp that sounds really good in those areas. So any helpful advice on either this amp or any other is much appreciated.

Thanks for your help and time.
Yer it should be great for a first amp.
Get reasonable tones and you'll get a feel for what everything does and find the settings you like. Now people are going to tell you to get a tube amp although then your gonna need a pedal to which is gonna be a fair bit more.
I'm also considering the Roland MicroCube aswell because a mate of mine who's been playing guitar for a good 2 years uses one and he says they are good all-round amps but the built in effects are not too good. So I am just trying to decide and get a bit of help as I'm not too well up on guitar related things at the moment.
Yer cubes are awesome !
if the microcubes loud enough for you then get it by all means.
I have one, 30 watts. It's great, but there are better amps out there I think. It's awesome for metal.
Quote by d3moliti0n
Pingis, which amp do you have? The MicroCube or the Spider III?

Spider 3
But I think the microcube is better. But the insane channel on the Spider is just face-rippingly awesome. But on the other hand, you could by a pedal and buy the microcube. But since you're not into that heavy stuff, the microcube would probably be a better choice.
Yeah I like a lot of heavy stuff aswell, Death Metal-wise: Cannibal Corpse, Death, Obituary, Monstrosity, Morbid Angel, Nile and a few others and Slayer are one of my fave bands aswell.
Last edited by d3moliti0n at Oct 20, 2007,
Electro Harmonic Metal Muff, it's a distortion pedal.

Microcube or Cube 15 would suit you pretty well, I think.

Try 'em out and see which you like better, them or the Line 6.
Quote by lefthandman9876
microcube and a metal muff

There is absolutely no point buying a Metal Muff when you have a Microcube
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I own a Line 6 Spider III, and I will be selling it the second I get it back from repairs.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Spider 3
But I think the microcube is better. But the insane channel on the Spider is just face-rippingly awesome.

I'd so sig that if I had the room...
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192

I'd so sig that if I had the room...

What's the matter with that? Its true. Have you ever played on insane on a spider? The distortion is good for metal, especially if consider that it's the amp's distortion. It might be a bit sterile, but it is very good for practising in your bedroom.
please dont give line 6 your money. it might make them stop from making those horrid amps. listen to what most of these people are saying and get a cube
I've played Spiders and I hate Spiders. My first choice in solid state is Peavey Transtube, but I don't play metal. I have to say even though I am a digital/modeling hater the Cube is not half bad.
I really would like to tell you to get a tube combo and some pedals, but I won't because your peers may not consider it cool enough (and I'm really not being sarcastic.) If you stick with guitar please consider this combination for your first upgrade. Good luck and enjoy learning guitar.
Quote by d3moliti0n
I'm also considering the Roland MicroCube aswell because a mate of mine who's been playing guitar for a good 2 years uses one and he says they are good all-round amps but the built in effects are not too good. So I am just trying to decide and get a bit of help as I'm not too well up on guitar related things at the moment.

Honestly, built in effects aren't that important, and you probably won't really use them a ton anyway most likely.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death

What's the matter with that? Its true. Have you ever played on insane on a spider? The distortion is good for metal, especially if consider that it's the amp's distortion. It might be a bit sterile, but it is very good for practising in your bedroom.

Assuming he was practicing in his room he'd be fine. But if he's gigging it would sound like a swarm of bees in his amp. And yes I have played a Spider. They had to cut my fingers off so I wouldn't make stupid choices like playing on the Insane channel again.
Ben
Last edited by muffinman123192 at Oct 20, 2007,
i advise against using loads of effects if you're learning, otherwise there will be a tendency to use the effects to cover up mistakes that you need to hear. I'd say go with the microcube too, you won't hear it now if you're just starting guitar but you'll hear it later that its really a lot better than the spider III.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If you're practicing in your bedroom, a Spider should be fine, but at least give the Vox AD15 or Roland Cube a look.