i can see there are quite a few of these topics around but i'm thinking about starting to play bass as no one i know plays bass and pretty much everyone plays guitar and it gets on my nerves quite frankly. i went to seee dimmu borgir a couple of weeks back and i was standing about 2 metres infront of I.C.S Vortex and could hear his bass pretty clearly and i realized how much i really want to play bass. as you can tell i'm into heavy styles of music, could anyone suggest some starter gear maybe? if you could that would be cool
uhh well it depends. im not judging or anything but usually there are 2 branches when people start playing. one is that they play for a couple of months, then get bored and quit. most people say there not gonna be like that, but u never know, and if u think that might happen to u, i suggest getting one of those fender starter packs. there like 250 bucks and they have the fender squier (good starter, but not really a good keeper), amp, strap, instructional video, etc.
if you know ur gonna play for a while, and u know ur gonna start a band immidiatly, then i suggest going for a fender p-bass by looking at ur kind of music. depends on how much ur looking to spend...
-Girl Bassist & Drummer-
Music: Thrash metal, punk, ska, Grunge, old rock, Techno
Pref Bands: Anthrax early Nirvana RHCP Led Zep Fallz Pantera Black Sabbath Operation Ivy Reel Big Fish Misfits Ramones Mudhoney Arctic Monkeys Muse 2 many 2 name
well as you say i might not get into it so it may not be a good idea to spend alot but i like the looks of the bc rich and the ibanez basses. i know ibanez do i starter kit.
also from thomann i can get:

BC RICH WARLOCK BRONCE BASS (Bass)
HARLEY BENTON HB-80B (amp)
ROCKBAG RB 20622 WARLOCK BASS GIGBAG (bag)
HARLEY BENTON GT6/200 (tuner)
THOMANN GITARRENGURT 2BK (strap)

for £254.26

also there are toher options for the bass liek i forgot mention i'm quite into the Ltd basses aswell
i dont suggest a BC Rich bronze series. anything in the bronze series is ...under par... to say the least.

go for the squier precision starter pack.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
I would recommend not buying low end BC Rich's and not buying anything Harley Benton altogether. There's much better out there for the money. Like said, look at Squier starter packs (the Ibanez one is also good), and if you have a little more to spend then I would say look at the Squier Vintage Modified Series and then look into a little Laney or Ashdown practice amp.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by LetTheBassPlay
i dont suggest a BC Rich bronze series. anything in the bronze series is ...under par... to say the least.

go for the squier precision starter pack.

yeahhhhh!

and like me, im really into bass and been playing for like 10 months, and i bought myself a new bass, and im gonna mod up that old fender... if u get really into bass, these things turn out to be really cool modding projects for ur future so keep that in mind
-Girl Bassist & Drummer-
Music: Thrash metal, punk, ska, Grunge, old rock, Techno
Pref Bands: Anthrax early Nirvana RHCP Led Zep Fallz Pantera Black Sabbath Operation Ivy Reel Big Fish Misfits Ramones Mudhoney Arctic Monkeys Muse 2 many 2 name
I would go for either of the latter, I have heard good things about the Squire basses and Soundgears are really nice to play.
ya. either the squier or the ibanez. My direct vote goes for the ibanez.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i started playing bass with the fender package and it was good enough to get me started and decide if i wanna play bass. Then i moved to Ibanez so i say get the fender package and then if you like it get a more expensive ESP or Ibanez. They're good for metal i think. and i love metal.