Page 1 of 2
I've never bought an electric guitar or amp, but I am looking to do that in a few months. Just calculating possible costs at the moment so I'm wondering if I have to buy the cable separately. Is it included?
Usually, you'll have to buy a lead seperately, but maybe, you could convince whoever's selling you the amp to chuck in a lead for free.
depends, basically. unless it's a starter pack (and I'd advise against that- for very little extra money you can frequently get much better- basically, the guys who make the nice amps rarely make the nice guitars, and vice versa) it's not meant to come with it. However, if you're buying from a local shop, and are anyway good at bargaining at all, you should be able to talk them into giving you a free lead, couple of plectrums, strap, maybe a pack of strings or so too. At the end of the day they want you as a customer for life. if you buy online, you might get slightly better prices, but probably won't get that stuff thrown in free.

So best bet is to find online prices, use them to bargain with, and then try to get the stuff thrown in free.

EDIT: ^ how the heck did you manage to say what I said in two lines?

anyway, would you like any gear recommendations? what type of music do you play, etc.?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Currently I have an Ibanez PF60S-NT which is an acoustic. I'm satisfied with it but I want to broaden the range of things I can do. I was thinking of getting a Fender Standard Strat (MIM) with a Roland Cube30x. I enjoy alt rock, punk rock, classic rock, etc.
Quote by AussieVesti
Currently I have an Ibanez PF60S-NT which is an acoustic. I'm satisfied with it but I want to broaden the range of things I can do. I was thinking of getting a Fender Standard Strat (MIM) with a Roland Cube30x. I enjoy alt rock, punk rock, classic rock, etc.

That sounds like a good choice
that sounds sensible enough, yeah. might also want to try the vox valvetronix, the general consensus is that it's better for the non-metal tones than the cube. also, if you do want to play any heavier stuff, perhaps consider the fat strat, which has a bridge humbucker, but still has most of the strat tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AussieVesti

That's a pretty good choice. If you bought it all together, I don't think it'd be too hard to try and get whoever sells it to you to chuck in a lead, maybe some strings and picks too.

Dave, I guess it's just my wonderful Aussie lazyness that makes me concise.
Well I'll compare the VOX Valvetronix in regards to price then. I'm not into metal at all so I can rule out a guitar with a humbucker at the moment.
^^ haha, ok.

^ if you aren't into metal at all, my guess is the valvetronix will suit you better, but obviously you do have price considerations. I know here they're a similar price, but obviously that might not be the case in australia.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The 30 watt Valvetronix is 20 bucks more expensive than the Cube 30 here.

I'd go with the Valvetronix, because it's more versatile, but definately, try it out.
Well it's worth those 20 extra bucks. The Cube's crunch and cleans are ok, while the Vox's is far superior there. Since you con't play metal the Valvetronix is a much better choice.

Also consider an Epiphone valve jr and a cheap overdrive pedal.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The AD30VT seems to be $50 more expensive than the 30x. It's difficult to find a VOX in my area it seems, by checking up the local sites. I might get a store to order one in then. I'll do further research between the two.

Also what's a good brand for leads?
I had a look on Allan's Music's website, only 20 bucks there.

I use PlanetWaves leads, they're pretty good. Got a lifetime warranty, I think, but I've never broken one. They're kinda pricey, but it's been worth paying a bit extra to get 'em.
Well I can get the Roland Cube 30x for $449 at another store.

Have you ever gone to an Allans Music Store before? That's one of the places I'm considering I'm buying from.
Yeah, I spend a fair bit of time in one in Melbourne, just trying their stuff out.

The staff down here are pretty good, they're helpful and most of them know their stuff.

Personally though, I'd rather buy from a smaller local store, I've found that they tend to give better discounts than the bigger stores.

But definately have a look in Allans, they're pretty good.
the other thing is, if you go with the vox, you could possibly make do with the 15 watt version. while the 15 (and 20) watt cubes are crap as they don't have amp modelling.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it models classic amp models, like marshall, fender, vox, mesa boogie etc.

basically allows you access to a wide range of tones from the one amp. which is a big bonus when you're just starting out. it won't sound as good as the real thing, but can let you decide which types of tones you like, and which you don't (though just be careful it's not just a crap model and you'd actually like the real thing, lol)...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Basically, it means that your amp will be able to reproduce the tone of other amplifiers.

It won't be spot on, but the Vox is pretty good at it, for the price.

Are you just going to be using this amp for bedroom practise, or jamming with a band, or what?
It changes the tone of the amp and makes the amp sound like famous amps like the marshall Plexis and Mesa Rectoverbs etc.

Its a good thing but it doesnt sound anywhere near as goor as the real thing.
Quote by snot_foster25
Basically, it means that your amp will be able to reproduce the tone of other amplifiers.

It won't be spot on, but the Vox is pretty good at it, for the price.

Are you just going to be using this amp for bedroom practise, or jamming with a band, or what?

It would be more a bedroom practice. If the band idea does come off the ground, I'd primarily be a vocalist, and if any rhythm guitar is needed I'd probably do that. The chances of that happening though are quite slim.
Well, if the prospect of playing with a band is there, you'd probably want to go with the 30W version, just in case.

I think the Valvetronix's have a built in attentuator that lets you adjust the wattage though, so if you bought the 30W version, you could still use it at bedroom level, easily.
Well I'd most likely go to Allans Music to try out the Fender Strat and both the Cube and AD30VT together. There's one question on inconsistency on the site though. There prices vary from $829 to $1049 on the site for the MIM Fender Strat. I'm not sure if it's because of the fretboard because there are maple and rosewood with varying prices. Do you think it's a mistake?
At my local store, the MIM Strats are about $850-900, don't know why the difference in price with those ones, but material could be the reason.

I don't think it's a mistake, but you could always call them and ask about it before you go in.
Very reliable. And the difference in price is more likely due to the finish- sunburst and natural are more.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Well for some reason a maple electron blue is priced at $1049 yet a maple black is priced at $829. I don't understand how they can charge $220 extra for a different finish. The sunburst only costs an additional $50
mind linking me? that doesnt sound right.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Well i can find one of the more expensive ones with the specs listed but my guess is they're made out of different materials or something...
Quote by Ashdownlover
Its a good thing but it doesnt sound anywhere near as goor as the real thing.

'Course not, mate, the Valvetronix can't melt down a pile of EL34's into straight delicious tone!

+1 on the AD15. You don't need to pay extra for the 30 watt version. It sounds great, twice the wattage, but the volume differance isn't worth it. The 30 watt has a power attenuater (spelling?) too, but again, unecessary, IMO, on a SS moddling amp with a master volume control.
Well I emailed Allans Music and I'm waiting for a reply regarding their Electron Blue Strat. I'll try both AD15VT and Cube 30x in store and see which one satisfies me more.

Also what are some good things to do when buying an electric guitar & amp?
you bargain! get it as low as possible and ask for a free gig bag and picks and a strap.

you can ask for a free hardcase but i highly doubt that they'll give it to you.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
the fact that your spending 1000 bucks on gear will persuade them to give you free ****. i always get a free gig bag, strap and some picks when i get a new guitar.

just gota ask, dont be afraid to be turned down.

oh and i wouldnt buy from allans, their the biggest ripoff ever.

try music city in petersham or billyhyde camperdown, their close to each other.

oh and to bargain you just just ask them if they can go any lower(on the price) and if it's higher than you like, make an offer, most times they'll accept unless its unreasonably low.

good luck
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Last edited by macaroni at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by AussieVesti
How should I bargain? What often persuades them to throw in a few free things.

-don't act like you like it. act like it's ok/average/mediocre, and you might consider it, but not at that price.

- pretend you're going to walk out.

- have a cheaper price (e.g. online) which you've seen and tell them.

- just basically ask them, "is that your best price?"

- if they don't come down, or don't come down enough, ask (assuming you're willing to take this instead of cash off) if they'll throw in some free stuff like strings/lead/strap etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok cool. Using that method, how much could I approximately get off presuming I do a decent job at persuasion.
depends on several things:

-what price you can get it for elsewhere where you are- if they know they're already the cheapest, you probably won't get much off.

- how convincing you are that you'll walk away

-how badly they need the sale

-what type of profit margin they have on it

i mean, you aren't going to talk them into giving you $1000 worth of equipment for $50, nomatter how good at bargaining you are. But you might get them down to $900, maybe even $800 or $750. Plus some shops put on a high marked price, so they can appear to give good discounts. so that's worth bearing in mind too. also, don't offer them a stupidly low price, or they'll think you're wasting their time. You want them to think that you're serious about buying, just not at their marked price. But that you obviously don't expect a free lunch either...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
allans sells everything at rrp except when they have specials. u might be able to bargain down $50 bucks but depending on the person serving you, you might not get free stuff.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Page 1 of 2