I have a question. i think i might start a project real soon, and I need to know what I should do with the pick ups.... what are the fender p bass pick ups? and are they the same or completely dif?

is there any other pick ups i could sub in for these, because i dont know if i feel like making the pick up hole smaller or bigger or longer or whatever. somoene please help.
-Girl Bassist & Drummer-
Music: Thrash metal, punk, ska, Grunge, old rock, Techno
Pref Bands: Anthrax early Nirvana RHCP Led Zep Fallz Pantera Black Sabbath Operation Ivy Reel Big Fish Misfits Ramones Mudhoney Arctic Monkeys Muse 2 many 2 name
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The standard upgrade pickups are the Seymour Duncan basslines.

.....for modern tones. If you're into vintage-y sounds, looking into Nordstrands or Fender Vintage or Samarium Cobalts. For a happy middle-ground, go for Lindy Fralins.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
thankss...

but still... are fender p bass squier pick ups the same as ones that are used on fender p basses???
-Girl Bassist & Drummer-
Music: Thrash metal, punk, ska, Grunge, old rock, Techno
Pref Bands: Anthrax early Nirvana RHCP Led Zep Fallz Pantera Black Sabbath Operation Ivy Reel Big Fish Misfits Ramones Mudhoney Arctic Monkeys Muse 2 many 2 name
Quote by ms.bassist
thankss...

but still... are fender p bass squier pick ups the same as ones that are used on fender p basses???

yep. if it's problematic, it's nothing a bit of elbow grease can't fix.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
yep. if it's problematic, it's nothing a bit of elbow grease can't fix.

Most are interchangeable, and replacing the pups in a passive is the easiest mod you can do, and for spending less than 90 USD, you can make a nice upgrade to your bass. Even the pots and wiring are insanely easy compared to an active instrument; it was so straightforward it actually threw me for a loop when I opened up my Pbass (which was sorted out quickly by a few of the more knowledgeable Bass Chat *****s, btw)

For a more modern sound, the SD Quarter Pounders are great, and I prefer them over the Fender Vintage, though the 62 Fenders do have a great sound as well. Avoid the EMG Selects, there's a reason why they are lower priced, they sound a bit thin.

I am waiting on my SD quarter pounders and then will be taking on this mod myself, replacing all of the pots, wiring, pups and putting on a new pickguard as well. Its a great way to get a nicer bass and learn how to do your own repairs, which saves beaucoup bucks in the long run.
Quote by mountaindew88
For a happy middle-ground, go for Lindy Fralins.

Correction.

Fralins are probably the best all round pickups for Fender style instruments. you can get vintage to hot metal sounds depending on how many pickup windings you choose.

Go for slightly overwound ones. I heard a demo and was blown away (2 jazz basses, one with fralins and one with stock pickups.)
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Go for slightly overwound ones. I heard a demo and was blown away (2 jazz basses, one with fralins and one with stock pickups.)

I love the sound of overwound Lindy Fralin's, as soon as I start my new job I'm putting in an order for a set of slightly overwound Precision pickups.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!