1) What do you think of this guitars?
2) Which one would you choose - recommend and why?
3) Does it matter whether it says USA or JAPAN on the back of the neck and Tokai Love Rock or Gibson Les Paul if the price difference was about £1,800?
4) Is it worth spending additional £1,800 on Gibson which uses inferior wood - and why?
(please explain your answer rather than saying Gibson or Tokai)
Thank you

Tokai LS 380:

MADE IN JAPAN
AAAA Flame Maple Top
Honduras Mahogany One Piece Back
Honduras Mahogany One Piece Neck
Set-Neck Deep Joint
Head Stock Angle 18°
Jacaranda Fingerboard
BHLS-VB (Brass Saddle Bridge)
HLS-VT (Aluminum Tail Piece)
Gotoh SD90-SL Tuners
Bone Nut (43.0mm)
Dish Amber Cell Inlay
J.M.Rolph Pick Ups ×2
2V.,2T., Controls
3way Toggle SW
CTS(Long Shaft) Pots
Switchcraft switch
Bumblebee Condenser
Switchcraft Jacks
All Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Limited Edition Hard Shell Case Included

PRICE: £2,495.00

Gibson Les Paul 1959 Historic ReIssue

MADE IN USA
Top wood: Figured Maple
Back wood: Solid Mahogany
Binding: Single-ply cream on top
Finish Colors: Washed Cherry, Faded Tobacco
Neck construction: 1-piece Mahogany w/original-style truss rod route
Fingerboard wood: 22 fret Rosewood
Inlays: Acrylic trapezoid (accurate shape and color)
Binding: Single-ply cream
Profile: 1959 Rounded
Scale length/Nut width: 24-3/4 in.; 1-11/16 in.
Pickups: Burstbucker 1 (rhythm), Burstbucker 2 (treble)
CTS pots
Bumblebee caps
Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way switch
Hardware color: Nickel
Bridge/Tailpiece: ABR-1/Aluminum stopbar
*Other: Thin, original-style toggleswitch washer and jackplate
Tuner style: Vintage tulip
Collateral: Custom Shop case, Certificate of Authenticity, Custom Care Kit

PRICE: £4,199.99
an R9 for 4200 pounds? goddamn bro, that's about...8400 USD at the current exchnage rate, an R9 goes for about 5K or so here in the U.S, so I say get the Tokai, WAAAYY more cost efficient.
id go with the Tokai. If u really want the Gibson sound, then put in some Burstbuckers. That Tokai looks like a Gibson LP Supreme almost, xcept that has a 5A maple top and not a 4A. And gold hardware. But thats a great deal. Both have the Bumblebee caps and one-piece body wood. Its almost like paying an extra 1800 pounds for a Custom Shop case and the name "Gibson." And for Gibson money, im almost sure u could get a real handmade guitar from Ed Roman, or one of his other retro guitars.
Quote by twor_smor
1) What do you think of this guitars?
2) Which one would you choose - recommend and why?
3) Does it matter whether it says USA or JAPAN on the back of the neck and Tokai Love Rock or Gibson Les Paul if the price difference was about £1,800?
4) Is it worth spending additional £1,800 on Gibson which uses inferior wood - and why?
(please explain your answer rather than saying Gibson or Tokai)
Thank you ...

1. Both are awesome!
2. Both, although I'd buy the Tokai first, given its more accessible pricing.
3. Depending on your financial situation and/or if you care.
4. I'd hardly call the wood used in either, inferior. Where did you get that? (Excluding the cr4p regurgitated in forums.)

I've visited several shops in Hamamatsu (Tokai factory location), Nagoya, and the surrounding area and those Tokai LP copies are gorgeous and well-made ... similar to the newer MIJ Edwards, and the old school Orvilles and Burnys.

However, the prices you quoted are pretty obscene. You'd probably do better flying to Japan, experience guitar Nirvana, overdose on multi-floor, wall-to-wall guitargasm, buy a Tokai, etc. for the prices you just quoted.

The only thing that might let you down on the tokai is the pickups. The rest of Tokai's electronics are top notch (at least the ones I've seen/played). I'd reccomend the Tokai and then if you want that real gibson sound, get a set of Burstbuckers or Burstbucker Pros and even then you'll be way under the cost of the Gibson.
"Jacaranda Fingerboard"

If you were to get the Gibson, you'd better off buying a plane ticket to the US and bring the guitar back. Works out cheaper that way.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
"Jacaranda Fingerboard"

It's a type of wood similar to Mahogany or Rosewood that's mostly grown in the Asia/Australia region. Well I think it's mostly grown around here. I might be wrong on that but it is a similar sounding wood to Mahogany or Rosewood.
I'd definitely get the Tokai. A Japanese Tokai Love Rock is such an amazing guitar, I've yet to play a bad one...whereas I have come across Gibsons that have been lemons.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
can you post a link to pics of the tokai?
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
I'd get the ls380 hands down.

Actually... I'd get a limited editon ls1000... almost as nice, and limited edition, meaning that it will appreciate greatly in value.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by p.stick
"Jacaranda Fingerboard"

If you were to get the Gibson, you'd better off buying a plane ticket to the US and bring the guitar back. Works out cheaper that way.

jacaranda is brazilian rosewood, surely?

i.e. the good stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Rosewood

that's a lot of money for either... i haven't tried a gibbo '59 RI. I'm assuming it's nice, very nice. But £8000 nice? I highly doubt it.

I have tried a tokai relic LP (unsure of model, I don't think it's the really high one you're quoting), it was £1000, and was nicer than any non-custom shop gibson I've ever tried (i haven't tried any custom shop gibbos, none of the shops here have them).

Another option would be an edwards- similar quality to a gibson LP standard (bar the fact the electronics aren't amazing, and the flamed maple is only a veneer over plainer maple), for around £400-£500.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok, i meant "£4000" up there in relation to the gibson, but my computer crashed when i tried to edit. Got confused between dollars and pounds for a moment.

navigator and bacchus might be worth considering too, though I haven't tried them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?