I was wondering if there is a some kind of solo pedal? I have a distortion pedal, Digitech DDM, but when I play solo, it doesn't sound very professional... So I'm looking for a pedal that you can turn on when you're about to play solo, and turn off when the solo is about to end.

Btw, I don't want to change my distortion pedal, since I'm happy with it.

Thanks
A: get an equilizer pedal and set it to a bassy tone, for your solo

~or~

B: Get a Boss line selector and have it set up so that once you step on the pedal, it will change to the other distortion pedal, and my suggestion for a solo pedal is the Boss Metal Zone or big muff.
Or if you amp has more than one channel and a footswitch, set it up so you're either playing through the amps distortion channel and you use the pedal as a boost in solos. Or play through your pedal and use the amps distortion as well during solos... could work, but i have no idea how it would work with your gear...

Or an EQ pedal as mentioned above would help a lot.
I think you could have fun with a EQ or Frequency boost. You could have some flexibility, then, for using a solo with a mid cut, bass boost, trebble boost, mid boost, whatever. Try out differnt EQ's and see what gets you there.
Do you have a tube amp or solid state amp?

Depending on whether or not you have a tube amp will be the determining factor for lead channels.

For tube amps I would recommend an Overdrive, Booster, Distortion pedal set to light distortion/high output, eq pedal, or a delay pedal to thicken your tone up to make leads easier.

For SS amps I would recommend an EQ pedal or Delay pedal. SS amps don't really respond to boosters, distortion on another distortion or overdrive pedals very well when you're trying to make your lead channel better.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by VikingMetalhead
Electro-Harmonix Nano LPB-1 Power Booster... is that something that can make my solos sound better?

If you're using a tube amp it would help, but on ss amp it wouldn't do as much as and od/distortion or eq pedal.
Quote by VikingMetalhead
Electro-Harmonix Nano LPB-1 Power Booster... is that something that can make my solos sound better?

Well it won't make it sound better, it won't turn you from Stewie Roy Varne to Stevie Ray Vaughn, but you'll come through the mix a bit clearer. A different suggestion - a treble booster, surely, would be a nice touch.

Quote by tjbhdeath squad
A: get an equilizer pedal and set it to a bassy tone, for your solo

I'm no sound technician but for solo boosts you don't want to be adding bass, you want to be adding treble, so your sound comes through the mix better. Adding unneccesary bass would probably swallow your whole sound.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Well it won't make it sound better, it won't turn you from Stewie Roy Varne to Stevie Ray Vaughn, but you'll come through the mix a bit clearer.

Haha, no I didn't mean that.. Just the sound while playing solo, not the solo.
Get a wah and set it to 'full quack'. That should provide you with a nice non-bassy solo.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
also if you dont already use reverb, it can really add to a lead lick, i am never without a little bit of reverb
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by VikingMetalhead

I have an LPB-1 from the late '70s, & it's a piece of crap. It seemed great back then, but now there's much better gear available. For solo boosts, I'd recommend a Fulltone OCD w/ drive set lower (as not to alter your basic tone much), & volume adjusted as needed for boost. The OCD is the best thing I've found yet for solo boost applications.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
How about a compressor. Like Digitech Main Squeeze (compressor/sustainer)? Isn't that basically the same thing as LPB-1?
For compresssor deffinately go with the MXR Dyna Comp, and for boost, MXR Micro Amp.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
What kind of amp do you have? A lot of these suggestions will be worthless if you're playing through a low-end ss amp.
Quote by kyrreca
What kind of amp do you have? A lot of these suggestions will be worthless if you're playing through a low-end ss amp.

I'm using my dad's old Fender Champion 110 (it's like 10-15 years old).

Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
For compresssor deffinately go with the MXR Dyna Comp, and for boost, MXR Micro Amp.

I want a cheaper one than Dyna Comp. It's kind of expensive in swedish shops, like 40$ too much. Any cheaper one that is almost as good?

I want a pedal that can give me more sustain and greater sound on high notes that you normally use in solos. Now, when I pick a note on the E string, on the 22nd fret the note lasts for 2 seconds approx. before it starts to fade.
So I guess a compressor is what I want. Btw, what's the difference between a compressor and a boost?
Last edited by VikingMetalhead at Nov 5, 2007,
for boost and extra gain and volume on solos try:

electro harmonix big muff
mxr zakk wylde overdrive
boss sd-1

it really depends on what kind of distortion you're looking for

and yeah an equalizer would also help. i heard they sond better on the fx loop. if you have one, try it
just put a steve vai switch on your guitar, thats what i did and it sounds pretty good
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Regarding EQ:s, do you mean one of those with frequency-stuff (where there are like 7 different frequencies, each one with a some kind of switch)? If I buy one, how am I supposed to set it, what settings do you use to get the best tone (that make your leads sound better)?