Im abit confused about this. A chord is three or more notes (a triad) or more played at the same time right? The how could a power chord (the root and third) be a chord, unless you added the octave to it?
Well, technically speaking it really isn't a chord. Just a root and a 5th. But I'm not really sure why it's actually considered one.
It's considered a chord because it consists of multiple strings strummed together to produce a single sound.

Technically it's not actually a chord, but people say it is anyway. It's like the marshall MG of chords.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Yeah, really all it is is a root and a fifth combined, but a lot of times people will add that octave in there and make it a complete chord (1st, 5th, octave).
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Its not a chord, Its a harmonic interval... or something like that.
Been away, am back
They're not, it's something of a misnomer. They're really just intervals, but "power interval" sounds stupid.

Quote by philipp122
Yeah, really all it is is a root and a fifth combined, but a lot of times people will add that octave in there and make it a complete chord (1st, 5th, octave).

That doesn't make it a chord, because it's still only two notes. A chord is three or more unique notes played simultaneously.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
What about:

-----
-----
-----
--7-
--7-
--5-

That is 3 notes now...
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
No, its still 2 notes. the 5th on the E string and 7th on the D string are the same notes, just an octave apart. It still only uses the notes A and E
Been away, am back
Quote by slayer1516
Im abit confused about this. A chord is three or more notes (a triad) or more played at the same time right? The how could a power chord (the root and third) be a chord, unless you added the octave to it?
True.

Interestingly, two notes can become a chord if you play them with "power". (actually distortion.)

There are 2 important types of distortion:

Harmonic Distortion (changing the shape of the waveform)

Intermodulation Distortion (heterodyning) This is the one we're interested in, atm.

Heterodyning is where the output of a non-linear system (such as an overdriven amplifier) will have the original frequencies AND the sums and differences of those frequencies.

For instance:

A4 440hz and a fifth above that E5 660hz on the input would result in:

660 - 440, 440, 660, 660 + 440 -or- 220, 440, 660, 1100

Back to note names: A3, A4, E5, C#5

So you have the root (and an octave below), third (placed up one octave), and the fifth.

You have a triad!

...Isn't science fun?

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by TSelman
What about:

-----
-----
-----
--7-
--7-
--5-

That is 3 notes now...

thats how i hold all my power chords...

otherwise its called a double stop.. which is just two notes at the same time
isn't it because it's just a shortened way of playing a barre chord? or am i wrong?
Quote by guitarnoobie
So E minor isn't really a chord?

Yes, but Em isn't a powerchord; powerchords explicitly contain only the root and fifth so that according to the dictionary definition of the term "chord" makes them not chords.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by guitarnoobie
So E minor isn't really a chord?

Why wouldn't it be?

Em:

--0--- E
--0--- B
--0--- G
--2--- E
--2--- B
--0--- E

Six notes. The set of italicized notes is the minor triad. The whole chord is EBEGBE, (1st, 5th, 1st, b3rd, 5th, 1st)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Em is a chord, power chords arent chords, even with the octave added, its just a name, and its really not a double stop either. power chords can't be major or minor, because it's just the root and fifth. to determine major or minor you need the third in the chord. so in summary, technically no, they are not chords, but us guitar players are just lazy and call them chords.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Quote by SilentDeftone
I have taught thee well, my son.

-SD

SD! My Mentor

I was searching for ages to find the thread you posted about it, but i couldnt find it so i had to rack my brains trying to think of it.
Been away, am back