My sixth string is completely dead at the 12th fret and at the 18th fret, not fret buzz, just dead...i tried raising the action and its still dead.. this just started happening , what should i do?

P.S. Using a mexican strat and ernie ball 9's
EBs can be a little iffy.

it's either going to be the string, or that the fret is a little flat from use.

a redressing/finishing. shouldnt be more than $20.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Have you changed string guage/tuning? If so the neck tension will have changed, and you might need to adjust the truss rod.
thanks ill see what i can do

the guitar is not more than a month and a half old..so i dont think the fret is too flat from use
it is possible there is something wrong with the nut. it may be filed down too much on that string. but you can go out and buy things to fix it with. i think it is called nut sauce. you take off the string, fill in the crack a little and let it sit, then replace the string. ive only heard about it, so it might not work that way, but it should help fill in that crack a little.
Quote by fretboard88
nut sauce.

You made me lol.

On a more serious note. Try changing the string first, you never know. Then take a good look at the nut, see if the sixth string nut cavity looks different from the other ones. also see if your bridge looks weird at the sixth string. Lastly, take a look at you frets and see if something is weird there. If no strings are buzzing, I doubt the truss rod is the issue.
WTLTL 2011
thanks very much for the advice guys, ill try your suggestions
I like to think I dislike it when people throw tis option out but it sounds like it could be anything, taking it to the shop you bought it from (or just any guitar shop) sounds a better idea ... no offense to UG but a shop can get their hands on it and look
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by Axis28
thanks ill see what i can do

the guitar is not more than a month and a half old..so i dont think the fret is too flat from use

if ur getting dead frets at the 12th and up, either the string is bad, the fret is bad, or the neck is back bowed.

the nut isnt going kill a fret south of 12. you tried the action. and you didnt say the 13th-17th are messed up. so you know what?

it's the string or bad frets. and yep, guitars come that way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011