New at all this....

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I am confused about my amp settings.

I think the problem is that my electric guitar.....does not sound electric. When I have overdrive OFF it just sounds like an acoustic on a speaker.

I want a little bit of electric twang but I am not sure how to set everything up.

I have an IBANEZ GRX-20 and a 15W Fender Frontman amp.
You need to turn that overdrive up... that's what makes your electric sound like an electric
Quote by lateraluspiral
She sucked your dick after you put it in her ass..?
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran
At least you're thinking out of the box.

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club.

Save the world?
1.put ur guitar on the bridge pick up
2.put the bass on ur amp to 0
3.turn teh mid to 5 ish
4. treble to 10

that should give you some twanginess

EDIT: ^thats when your on the clean channel
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
You probably should switch it to the channel labeled "Overdrive" or "Distortion" and turn the drive up.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Check that the volume on your actual guitar is turned all the way up.
That's because you're playing with the overdrive off. That's what that does. It's called playing "clean."
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Okay I understand the overdrive on/off thing.

It makes things fuzzy....right.

Nevertheless electric guitars have a distinctive sound without overdrive, or am I completely wrong?

I tried setting the treble up and bass down, and turning up the volume.

Definite improvement....thanks....

Any more hints welcome.
I got these amp settings:

Volume 5
Overdrive 10
Master 4
Mid 5
Treble 5
Bass 5

Guitar knobs:

Volume: 10
Switch on treble and the other knob on 5

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo
an electric guitar is going to sound like a normal electric guitar if you dont have overdrive or distortion on. if you unplug your guitar and just strum. and then plug in and strum with over drive off, it will sound the same lol. and you cant get a twangyness really unless you have a telecaster which is what they r known for
Hmmmm........

All very helpful information.

I guess my expectations are a bit different from reality, or perhaps Im not hearing songs correctly after they have been synthesized and such.

The sound Im thinking of is similar to the intro to Metallica's Sandman. (just the very beginning intro...not the rest of the song)
After relistening to it maybe what I am thinking of is reverb giving it an echo-like quality.

Ideas?

One last question.

On the guitar itself is a TONE knob.

How is that used in general?
The tone knob cuts the treble; the closer to zero the less treble in your sound, that makes your guitar song more rounded with less attack than with it all the way up.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by cj95
Hmmmm........

I guess my expectations are a bit different from reality, or perhaps Im not hearing songs correctly after they have been synthesized and such.

The sound Im thinking of is similar to the intro to Metallica's Sandman. (just the very beginning intro...not the rest of the song)
After relistening to it maybe what I am thinking of is reverb giving it an echo-like quality.

Ideas?

I looked up your amp and from what I read, it is only good for practicing at home at low volumes. About 92% of the way a guitar sounds is related to the amp. You're using what's called a solid-state amp, which is best for everything except guitars. Most if not all guitarist who want distortion use tube amps, and if you want your guitar to sound like Metallica, you'll have to buy the amps they use (pickups also have an effect, but the amps more so). If you want a really good tube amp it'll probably cost around $1000 (not cheap). But anyway, the best way to learn about this stuff is to look around, read tons of articles, and ask questions (you're on the right track). Here's a good UG article to start you off and make you're brain hurt: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149114

Rock on, dude. :]
Last edited by -Rane- at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by -Rane-
I looked up your amp and from what I read, it is only good for practicing at home at low volumes. About 92% of the way a guitar sounds is related to the amp. You're using what's called a solid-state amp, which is best for everything except guitars. Most if not all guitarist who want distortion use tube amps, and if you want your guitar to sound like Metallica, you'll have to buy the amps they use (pickups also have an effect, but the amps more so). If you want a really good tube amp it'll probably cost around $1000 (not cheap). But anyway, the best way to learn about this stuff is to look around, read tons of articles, and ask questions (you're on the right track). Here's a good UG article to start you off and make you're brain hurt: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149114

Rock on, dude. :]

Yes but you can still buy a cheap amp with amp simulations on and they'll pretty much do the job until you feel you can afford the real thing. Also, try out some overdrive and distortion pedals too.
Quote by cj95
Hmmmm........

Ideas?

One last question.

On the guitar itself is a TONE knob.

How is that used in general?

the reason the intro to sandman sounds so good is because they use mesa boogie amps and ESP and gibson guitars with EMG pickups.

all gear which you dont have and will have to pay at least £3000-4000 for, that tone cannot be achieved with your amp.
Gear: ESP MH250 NT
ESP EX400 ow
Ashton Dualler

Marshall MG50DFX

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
EHX metal muff
for your first few weeks or so id play with the overdrive off
Quote by pfizer
Okay then, let's say I've got enough food to feed Yngwie Malmsteen for a day (about 6 months for regular people).
Very helpful all of you, thanks.

I do understand that my equipment is rather cheap at present, but its just to learn on.

I researched another song that better describes the sound Im looking for.

The intro riff to Sweet Child of Mine.

Now I know Im not going to sound like SLash....duh....but his guitar sounds less like a guitar string and more like a screechy electric tone.

Thats what I meant by an 'electric sound'
Very slight overdrive, neck pickup.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
If you are just starting, I'd look into scales and practice those. Also look into chords as well. Chromatics would also be a good place to start building finger strength and dexterity.

A good place to start with scales is the Pentatonic. You can see the Pentatonic Minor in A at this link. Change the scale and key with the combo boxes and click "Get".

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=5&scch=A&scchnam=Pentatonic+Minor&get2=Get

Hope this helps you

Chris
Quote by RCShadow
If you are just starting, I'd look into scales and practice those. Also look into chords as well. Chromatics would also be a good place to start building finger strength and dexterity.

A good place to start with scales is the Pentatonic. You can see the Pentatonic Minor in A at this link. Change the scale and key with the combo boxes and click "Get".

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=5&scch=A&scchnam=Pentatonic+Minor&get2=Get

Hope this helps you

Chris

Great link.

Im actually already working on those exact scales, and am already noticing some improvement, although the stretch to fret 8 is a bit much for my pinky at this stage.

I wasnt implying Im trying to learn these famous solos yet, but merely citing them as examples of the tone of note I was looking for.
A good place to look for settings of famous stars (as in Treble, Middle, Bass, Gain/Drive) is the ultimate settings thread stickied at the top of the guitar gear and accessories sub -forum on this site.

Edit: Here's the link