Just need this cleared up. My instinct says that if I want replacement pickups for my Ibanez Rg1570, I DON'T want F-Spaced humbuckers, but i'd like confirmation for my own peace of mind. I assume that only Fenders are F-Spaced, but something tells me that non-Fender guitars might used the same spacing, but I'm not sure.
Quote by StiltonCheese
You don't sound too sure...

No I'm saying it like it's plainly obvious. Not alot of non-Fender guitars use F-Space...can't go wrong with regular.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
F-spaced = pole-pieces are further apart.

Regular = pole-pieces are closer apart.

If it's F-spaced and you get regular, it's gonna sound like crap. If it's NOT F-spaced and you get F-spaced, you won't sound as good but better than if it was and you got reg.

Either way, go through GC if you got one near and you can return em if they don't fit.

Or just bring your guitar in and ask if you need reg or f-spaced.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
You need F Spaced if you are fitting a bridge humbucker on a tremelo equiped guitar.

Neck pickup is always standard spaced.

Hope that helps.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
F spaced pickups are pickups whose pole pieces are slightly further apart to accommodate the saddle spacing of Floyd rose (notice the emphasis on F) brides as the strings are slightly further apart than on a fixed or vintage trem bridge
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Mixed messages here, then. Do I want F-Spaced or not for the Rg1570 - it's got an Edge Pro Trem...
Yes for the bridge, no for the neck.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by StiltonCheese
Mixed messages here, then. Do I want F-Spaced or not for the Rg1570 - it's got an Edge Pro Trem...

Oh sorry should have sed Floating trem rather than floyd lol

And yes, bridge, not neck
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
You're instincts are wrong on this occasion, RGs use F-spaced in both positions....measure the pole position spacing if you're not convinced, it'll be 51.5 mm.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Will do.

It's weird. Looking at the V7 neck, the strings go straight through the the middle of the poles. All of them. Yet, the V6 bridge the strings don't the through the middle of the poles, it's all skewed...

Is there a good site that I could use as reference for all this stuff?
Um, what the holy hell are you guys babbling on about?! First off F-Spaced stands for Fender-Spaced, not Floyd Rose-Spaced or any trem thing.

Secondly, F-Spacing does NOT (not!) have a significant effect on the sound/tone... if any! It was originally designed to align the pole pieces with the wider Fender bridge spacing. Lots of guitars now have large distances between saddles and/or nut slots, especially tremmed guitars, and so F-Spacing tends to come into play more often.

TRUST ME: I've compared F-Spaced pickups with non-F-Spaced pickups on the same guitar and it truly doesn't matter. In the case of your RG you should get F-Spaced (both PUs - since the nut is also wider than most) simply because the pole pieces will line up properly. If you didn't get F-Spaced no one would give a rat's ass anyway.
The DiMarzio site seems to suggest that you need proper spaced humbuckers for a balanced sound. I'll measure up, it's got all the measurements you need to make on the site.

Ta for the help, guys.
Get a F-spaced pickup for your guitar, or you'll end with some of the strings not being over the pickup poles. I've tried both with my RG270DX, and it made a difference.
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Quote by Johnny Two Tone
Um, what the holy hell are you guys babbling on about?! First off F-Spaced stands for Fender-Spaced, not Floyd Rose-Spaced or any trem thing.

Just saying that you need F-spaced pickups for the bridge if you have a floyd rose or vintage trem, which is the basic wisdom really. Neck pickups are always standard spaced.

Just standard rules.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by StiltonCheese

You need/want F Spaced for BOTH positions. That's the way RGs are set up, and that's what I got for my RG320, also with an edge pro.
people need to do their research before they talk... f-spaced is does NOT stand for floyd but instead fender, as other ppl have said
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by lanzaa
people need to do their research before they talk... f-spaced is does NOT stand for floyd but instead fender, as other ppl have said

Noone stated that it stood for Floyd, but it applies. If you have a Floyd Rose you need f-spaced pickups for the bridge.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
Noone stated that it stood for Floyd, but it applies. If you have a Floyd Rose you need f-spaced pickups for the bridge.

hm i could have sworn someone had said it stood for floyd spaced keyword f or something like that. regardless, yeah it still applies but its just everytime a thread like this surfaces someone always says that.

anyways
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by lanzaa
hm i could have sworn someone had said it stood for floyd spaced keyword f or something like that. regardless, yeah it still applies but its just everytime a thread like this surfaces someone always says that.

anyways

Indeed mate.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

So even if the RG has a fixed bridge, like say the RG321, you still need neck and bridge pickups F-spaced?
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I was the omne that sed it stood for floyd rose lol then I thought maybe Floating trem ,,,, then I thought who gives a toss wot its called yo need F-spaced for a floater anywho :S

My understanding of it anywho
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by sajuuk
I was the omne that sed it stood for floyd rose lol then I thought maybe Floating trem ,,,, then I thought who gives a toss wot its called you need F-spaced for a floater anywho :S

My understanding of it anywho

trying to be slick huh

naw im kidding.

and yeah an rg with a fixed bridge like the 321 (which is also the guitar i have) would need an f-spaced pickup (which is what my d sonic is)
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by lanzaa
trying to be slick huh

naw im kidding.

and yeah an rg with a fixed bridge like the 321 (which is also the guitar i have) would need an f-spaced pickup (which is what my d sonic is)

thank you very much.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
no problem
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
So an RG2EX2 needs both the neck and bridge humbuckers f-spaced?

I wanna get some dimarzio's soon but I'm not entirely sure if they should be f-spaced or not.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
yeah i think it does. i believe it does because the rg's fixed bridge resembles that of a strat bridge, without the tremelo ofcourse.
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Alright, thanks a ton.

I'm looking at an Evo 2 in the bridge and PAF Pro in the neck.

But I wanna paint it first.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Sorry to bring this up again...

It won't matter that I'm sticking the pickups in a leftie, will it? Are thge pole pieces calibrated so they work best with the correct string above them? Will having the high e on the low e pole piece make any discernable difference to tone?
Quote by StiltonCheese
Bump, sorry, I'd really appreciate confirmation on this.

No, it will not matter that the PUs are going in a left handed guitar.