Ok i like old school thrash metal like metallica, slayer, exodus, megadeth, etc. I've got a Randall RX120DHS amp (solid state 4x12 half stack) and its brand new so the amps staying. I'm getting a new guitar for Christmas and I have to decide what I want soon. It has to be about $600. I originally wanted an ESP M-400 but everyones warning me about using a guitar with active pickups with my solid state amp (which I can't change now). So what should I do?

A.) Pick a different guitar (Please name a good one)

B.) Get the M-400 which I really like and change the pickups to passives

C.) Say screw you Ultimate Guitar, I'll get active pickups like my idols AND use a solid state. Is it really THAT bad? Its gotta sound more metal then my strat im using now.

Thanks all.
whatever you do... NEEEEEEEEVER DO OPTION "B"....

edit: if i were you... id take my amp and try the guitar in the EXACT same amp youll be using it... maybe youll get a massive feedback.... maybe you wont

edit2: if you want a diff guitar... id say agiles, schecters and ibanez
Last edited by just17n8 at Oct 20, 2007,
changing actv. pickups for passives... is like selling your ferrari and getting a mule.... theres too much of a difference...

actives are always better... but in your case you have an SS... this could MAYBE make some horrible feedback... therefor i say TRY IT! BEFORE BUYING IT!
what exactly IS the downside of using actives with a solid state? sometimes they cause massive feedback? or does the tone just sound horrible wihout tube amp?
the signal from a active is more powerfull than a passives one... if it is not handled correctly the sound gets corrupt (read: white noise and feedback), this tends to happend with SS

you may not expirience this with your amp, its a possibility, so heres where i repeat what i said before:

TRY IT! BEFORE BUYING IT!
I have played actives on a SS and there wasnt any problem... you just wont get the full potential out of them that you would with a tube amp. The tone sounded fine, but thats just my opinion go try it out for yourself.
Last edited by thefrigginbob at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by just17n8
changing actv. pickups for passives... is like selling your ferrari and getting a mule.... theres too much of a difference...

actives are always better... but in your case you have an SS... this could MAYBE make some horrible feedback... therefor i say TRY IT! BEFORE BUYING IT!

And here, dear tour, we have another brainless and clueless exhibit.

Actives are good for metal -only-.

Passives, on the other hand, soak up with the wood tone very nicely and deliver you a good tone.

Ergo passive>active, unless you are another one of those "OMG BR00TALZ METALZZZ" people.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Quote by binjajer
And here, dear tour, we have another brainless and clueless exhibit.

Actives are good for metal -only-.

Passives, on the other hand, soak up with the wood tone very nicely and deliver you a good tone.

Ergo passive>active, unless you are another one of those "OMG BR00TALZ METALZZZ" people.

i agree the guy saying actives are always better is talking rubbish but actives are not always just for metal, lots of country artists and even shania twains guitarist uses EMGs so they can be useful for other genres too but it depends on the model of pickup and what else you use it with, EMG 81 / 85 pickups are seriously underated in terms of their ability to produce nice clean tones and not so heavy tones like a mild crunch or fuzz just depends on the rest of your equipment.

sorry just a lot of EMG hate on here when they really can be nice pickups if you like that "EMG Tone"
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works