Just wanted to share a few of my thoughts.

I've been smoking a pipe since 1985. There were lots of people that used to smoke tobacco in this fabulous way back then in Poland.

Now? I rarely see anyone with a cigar, nevermind a pipe. It's all cigarettes these days.

Why? Smoking a cigarette vs. smoking a pipe is like masturbation vs. sex. I do understand, that people have less and less time and patience, but come on! It's at most 2-3 minutes to get the tobacco burning. I dont get it. Plus, as opposed to cigarette smoke, pipe tobacco smoke is not so obnoxious in it's smell. Furthermore, pipe tastes a lot better.

So, UG - answer my question: Why don't people smoke pipes these days?
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
You can instantly tell when someone's been smoking a pipe. I smoke (cigs) but I find the smell of old pipe smoke awful personally. When it's going is nice, but the smells that sticks to people is a bit ick.
Old guys smoke pipes.

Cool guys on films smoke cigarettes.

People nowadays almost never smoke for the taste or feeling. They just get started as a teenager because it's "cool", then a combination of addiction and their own complete lack of individuality means they just keep on smoking like they did in high school.
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You can instantly tell when someone's been smoking a pipe. I smoke (cigs) but I find the smell of old pipe smoke awful personally. When it's going is nice, but the smells that sticks to people is a bit ick.

Personal preference, I guess. I used to smoke cigarettes until people started telling me that I reek heavily.

Now, that I'm back to pipe tobacco, it's alright.

EDIT: WHOA! "Cool guys smoke cigarettes"!?

Sherlock Holmes?
Einstein?
All 40's and 50's movie stars?
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Quote by Vermintide
Bruce Willis is a helluva lot cooler than Sherlock Holmes, mang

You take that back!
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Vermintide

Naw,Bruce Willis is a pussy compared to Holmes, man.

EDIT: Damn, Kensai. Beat me to it.
Quote by bakk
Hi,

Quote by Vermintide

I bet Sherlock Holmes wore a cooler vest. Elementary!

Yeah I guess the smell issue is personal preference. Cigarettes are convenient aswell. Can just buy a pack anywhere if you forget them.
Anyway, my point about the coolness is in regards of one's average mindless drone working a dead end job. They aren't gonna smoke a pipe, they don't even really WANT to smoke. They just do it because they always have done.

If I smoked, it would most likely be a method other than normal cigarrettes, but I don't. So meh.

Enjoy ur lnug cancre, faggorts
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
I bet Sherlock Holmes wore a cooler vest. Elementary!

Yeah I guess the smell issue is personal preference. Cigarettes are convenient aswell. Can just buy a pack anywhere if you forget them.

Well, that might be a factor. But people smoke at home too. So that's no excuse.

I have a formidable collection of over 20 pipes of different makings and materials, plus one at my workshop and one always in the pocket of my jacket.

EDIT: It just occurred to me, that money could be a factor here. A good pipe is definetly no less than 50$, anything below that is just... not what you want, if you are an avid smoker and care for the taste.
Quote by bakk
Hi,

Last edited by binjajer at Oct 20, 2007,
pipes and cigars have that entire element of taste and distinction to them
people are just hooked on cigarettes for the nicotine

Quote by binjajer
Now, that I'm back to pipe tobacco, it's alright.

EDIT: WHOA! "Cool guys smoke cigarettes"!?

Sherlock Holmes?
Einstein?
All 40's and 50's movie stars?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.R._%22Bob%22_Dobbs
my dad does this [smoke from a pipe] alot, i've always wanted to ask him if he would let me do it with him from time to time, but i'm affraid he'll say no.
Last edited by Spitz13 at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by Spitz13
my dad does this, alot, i've always wanted to ask him if he would let me do it with him from time to time, but i'm affraid he'll say no.

Try. It's quite a dignified habit, I guess. It takes patience, experience and knowledge to fully be able to smoke properly and appreciate the taste.

EDIT: Tylerishot - you are a disgrace to humanity. Roll joints or stuff blunts, my fellow pothead, but never smoke out of a pipe. Unless you mean a bowl, because that's a whole different world.
Quote by bakk
Hi,

Quote by binjajer
Try. It's quite a dignified habit, I guess. It takes patience, experience and knowledge to fully be able to smoke properly and appreciate the taste.

EDIT: Tylerishot - you are a disgrace to humanity. Roll joints or stuff blunts, my fellow pothead, but never smoke out of a pipe. Unless you mean a bowl, because that's a whole different world.

Well yes, that's what I mean.

Different terminology apparently.
Quote by tylerishot
Well yes, that's what I mean.

Different terminology apparently.

Well, then, my apologies.

Pipes are all-wood or stone, but almost never metal. Bowls can be glass, metal or clay, or a combination of those.
Quote by bakk
Hi,

A bunch of my friends just got into pipe smoking.

Not sure why.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by binjajer

yea but, im afraid he'll through some lame excuse at me like for example: you're too young.. (i'm 15.. and a half..) or he'll think that i might start doing cigs becouse he gave me the okay for pipes.. my mom would defenately be against it, so it would have to be behind her back.. but meh, it would be awesome bonding experience..
Yeah, I started on pipe tobacco because I actually love the taste and feeling of smoking tobacco. I switched to cigarettes because they're easier to keep, get people to buy for you, and hide. I didn't want to get caught with a pipe that was for tobacco and have them think it was completely different and my parents flip on me and ****. Just more convenient really.
Last edited by ibryant0915 at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by Vermintide

BLASPHEMY.
<Han> I love Hitler
I smoke a pipe, but it surely doesn't have tobacco in it
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
I've never tried a pipe...

I smoke roll ups usually though..

But I'm trying to give up.. >_< So no pipe smoking for Dobby!
cigarettes are so convenient...put them in your pocket and you can forget about them. Now a pipe is good everyone and a while, but if your main reason for smoking a pipe is for the flavor then you want to get a hookah. it will almost make you hungry how good some of these flavored tobacco taste in a hookah.

and as for cigars....unless you shell out a few dollars for a decent cigar they dont really taste that good.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Cob pipes are cheap that's why I use them, and they're nice and light.
Quote by tylerishot
I smoke weed out of a pipe.

i hear that brotha.
i smoke weed out of anything.
Quote by armon77
im american but i think canada would win. they would probably lay low until everyone took each other out and then finish the last one standing off in one fell swoop. sneaky bastards.
Real men smoke cigars

I don't actually smoke but when my dad used to he had a pipe once with some scented tobacco (whiskey, I think) which smelt wonderful
Rule number three: Never open the package

It's magic magic baby!

Yoink!