Page 1 of 2
My friend and I were discussing yesterday if two subjects, chosen at random are equally as difficult at the same level.. and if not, why not? Shouldn't they all progress in difficulty at the same rate? The famous comparison that is made is: Media Studies VS Physics.
I personally think Further Mathematics is the hardest subject you can study at the British A Level and that some subjects are harder by nature..

Your opinions?
No, because I'm studying history, language, literature and psychology at A level, and I know for a fact that they're much easier than the sciences.

Or it could be because I'm really bad at science. Perhaps it's more a matter of opinion.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Some subjects like History, English, Sciences and Maths are harder because they're real subjects unlike media studies, Art, music and drama.
I think it depends on who you are. Some people find certains things easy that are considered hard by others.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

well. It depends on what kind of person you are really.

edit:
Quote by preludetowar
I think it depends on who you are. Some people find certains things easy that are considered hard by others.

Damn you
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
-All subjects are viable.

-Every subject will be easy or difficult to someone around the world

its all in people's minds. you can't judge this accurately because it's impossible to be precisely as good at one subject, as you are at another. Thus, no conclusion can be reached because there's no fair testing involved.

and i did Further Maths so i must get TS respect
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
It al depends on your personal strengths and weaknesses.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
statistacally, physics is one of the hardest, and psychology is one of the easiest, further maths is meant to be harder

as a result the A levels themselves are held in higher esteem with certain universitys

im doing further maths, and find it easier than regular maths, so it is down to the student, but statistically there is an order. the order is derived from the average marks scored on that paper by all the students who take it.
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
wat kind of mathematics do you study in further math? (i'm in america lol) i'm in calculus three and physics three right now, and i'm sure that they are both more difficult that photography three and music three, but really like everyone else says, it depends.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
No. Chemistry the hardest A Level. Maybe the rest are equal, but Chemistry is by far the most challenging.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Usually it depends what you're good at, but occasionally there will be a subject that does require less effort or skill. These are not the commonly accused Drama, Art, Media Studies, etc. though.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
further maths we do mechanics, economics, pure maths (calculus, etc) and loads of other stuff

so far in mechanics ive done equations of uniform velocity, resultants of a system of coplanar forces, newtons three laws, limiting friction, equilibrium, statics and momentum
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
Firstly, it depends on what kind of person you are.
You might be good at more acadamic subjects (english, history, chemisty etc.)
or practical (art, drama etc.) To the person who said drama isn't a real subject - you need to beable to act well to get a good grade in it, and a lot of people are terrible actors.
Secondly theres the quality of teaching, for example i would say my geology teacher is definately a better teacher than my computing teacher, and if i had my geology teacher teaching computing, i would probably find computing easier.
Quote by Magic Jim
further maths we do mechanics, economics, pure maths (calculus, etc) and loads of other stuff

so far in mechanics ive done equations of uniform velocity, resultants of a system of coplanar forces, newtons three laws, limiting friction, equilibrium, statics and momentum

so for me that's like the next three quarters, statics, dynamics, linear algebra, differential equations, and calculus based physics, sounds like a nightmare, lol, u really have to have a very visual mind to get this stuff
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
You always get the 'academic subjects' and the 'artistic subjects'. Sometimes it doesn't even matter, you're just good at random things and appalling at others.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by happy-and-lost
No. Chemistry the hardest A Level. Maybe the rest are equal, but Chemistry is by far the most challenging.

????????

lets not go there.

My best subjects are maths and physics by a long way and I'm doing Maths, F. Maths, Physics and German. However, looking at the work other people are doing I also know I could get A's in almost anything else quite easily. Anyone in my maths class could ace PE or media studies or Business studies even, but half of those classes can't ace their subjects and would fail maths.

It's all well and good saying that people have their own good and bad subjects, but if you look at the stats they would seem to show that there are more people who are good at media studies than at Maths, which the most rational explanation of seems to be that maths is harder at A-level.

I don't think in general maths or physics is more challenging than business, or media or chemistry etc. but I do feel that at GCSE the hardest subjects are in order Maths, Physics, modern languages, chemistry, Englishes, History, Biology. However at the top level everything is as hard as everything else, otherwise the top level would be higher.

Quote by Magic Jim

so you've done M1, D1, and which pure?

so far in maths we've done C1 and S1 and have almost finished C2, in FM: most of FP1 (matrices, proof and complex numbers), and M1.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
Last edited by dnjoe at Oct 20, 2007,
No.

I suck sweaty hairy balls at geometry, advanced algebra, and science.

English is freaking easy as hell to me, and I have the highest grade in my computer service and maintenance class at the moment.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
No.

I suck sweaty hairy balls at geometry, advanced algebra, and science.

English is freaking easy as hell to me, and I have the highest grade in my computer service and maintenance class at the moment.

We're like twins.

Except I don't do computer servicing and maintenance. But I'm good with using them.

-Matthew Arnold

People are always making threads about 'difficulty'. And I keep telling you people that difficult is relative.

Anyway, I think you've got the point from all the above threads. And as with Dinkydaisy and Ishiga, I am absolutely terrible at all things numeric and factual. But English and art, they are extremely easy for me.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

it depends for some people calculus is easy, but they likely wouldn't do as well in drama or english, and for some people it's the opposite, depends on what kind of person you are and how smart you are.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
It depends on the person. I've heard many people say that Chemistry is by far the hardest A-level, but I find it pretty easy. Biology is supposedly the easiest science at A-level but I find it the hardest. It just depends on what you are good at...
I'm doing Double maths, accounting, german and performance studies.

So far performance studies, in a way is the hardest for me because we do not have enough time to rehearse for our first practical assesment. I know we're meant to rehearse otuside of lesson time, but when you compare our timetables theres not a time when everyone n our group has a free period together. However, the actual dancing, drama and music we do in the lessons I find really easy, it's just putitng together the 3 minute compositions.

The thing about maths and the sciences and oher maths related subjects, is that there's always a 'right' and a 'wrong' answer.
I'm usually as good as the more academic subjects as I am at the creative ones. I think that most subjects are at about the same difficulty level.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Further Maths is hardest at A Level, but that's because it's 'further' than A Level and is really getting on for degree level maths. Most of the actual subjects, such as History, Maths, English, the sciences and the arts are all really the same difficulty level, depending on your natural ability.

I do English, Maths and History and probably find Maths the hardest most of the time, but when you have to study things in depth in English or get into the detailed interpretations in History they get quite beastly too.
It depends on what you are good at. I am good at science and math, but with history, I can't remember all these dates and names, etc, and my mind just goes blank.
Quote by matth05
My friend and I were discussing yesterday if two subjects, chosen at random are equally as difficult at the same level.. and if not, why not? Shouldn't they all progress in difficulty at the same rate? The famous comparison that is made is: Media Studies VS Physics.
I personally think Further Mathematics is the hardest subject you can study at the British A Level and that some subjects are harder by nature..

Your opinions?

You'd be hard pushed to make Media Studies as hard as Further Maths, at any level.

All subjects are not equally difficult.

Quote by SmarterChild
Most of the actual subjects, such as History, Maths, English, the sciences and the arts are all really the same difficulty level, depending on your natural ability.

Then why do far more pupils achieve As in Arts subjects than they do in Maths/Science?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Because, Mr Meths, people who do art are good at art. Surprisingly.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Meths

Then why do far more pupils achieve As in Arts subjects than they do in Maths/Science?

Because more people are good at it? Because **** and modern art are easily interchangable, thus creating a talent void in the mark scheme. To actually be good at the subjects you'd still need to have some ability.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Meths

Probably because they have made the actual marking criteria slightly easier for Art, when they would be the same difficulty if they were all marked at similar difficulty levels.

Also, another reason be that only those who are good at art take it. I suck at drawing, so I hardly want to spend 2 years of my life doing that. But more people do Maths/Science without having natural talent or being at A standard and get a decent grade, but not an A.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Because, Mr Meths, people who do art are good at art. Surprisingly.

"The Arts". As in English, History, Classics etc. Not art with a paintbrush or pencil.

And people who do maths aren't good at maths?

Quote by break-me-in
Because more people are good at it? Because **** and modern art are easily interchangable, thus creating a talent void in the mark scheme. To actually be good at the subjects you'd still need to have some ability.

Why are so many of you ignorant?

Quote by SmarterChild
Probably because they have made the actual marking criteria slightly easier for Art, when they would be the same difficulty if they were all marked at similar difficulty levels.

Also, another reason be that only those who are good at art take it. I suck at drawing, so I hardly want to spend 2 years of my life doing that. But more people do Maths/Science without having natural talent or being at A standard and get a decent grade, but not an A.

THE ARTS. NOT ART.

For fuck's sake people, don't humiliate yourselves with your ignorance.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths

THE ARTS. NOT ART.

Well done for avoiding answering the actual points raised by noticing a small reading error. The points remain about mark schemes because they can be applied to any arts subject.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by matth05

Your opinions?

Well I do both and Media is a walk in the park compared to Physics.
Quote by Meths
"The Arts". As in English, History, Classics etc. Not art with a paintbrush or pencil.

THE ARTS. NOT ART.

Damn you Jack, I missed the 's'.

You're always so quick to jump to the conclusion that's best for you.

-Matthew Arnold

I find chemistry and biology pretty easy- just have to be willing to do the study- especially on biology.
Applied maths is meant to be a bitch but yet if you're good at maths and are also doing physics it can be easy.
It really depends ont he person. I find math easy, biology hard, and physics easy, history easy and english hard.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by Meths

Quite a few of them aren't.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

I study advanced mathematics in University, and I don't see it as particularly difficult. Though a general consensus is that mathematics and physics are more difficult than other subjects, and I'm used to the cringing when I tell people I'm studying maths, with interests in theoretical physics.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I killed Advanced Higher (=~ A level) Physics, Chemistry and Maths - I was always going to get As. I had to work very hard at Higher (~= AS level) Spanish to get an A. If I had done Advanced Higher History and English instead, I would probably not have got an A, since I find them much more difficult to excel in.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
Quote by break-me-in
Well done for avoiding answering the actual points raised by noticing a small reading error. The points remain about mark schemes because they can be applied to any arts subject.

You didn't have any points. Nothing you posted suggested they were equally as difficult at A level.

Quote by DinkyDaisy
Damn you Jack, I missed the 's'.

You're always so quick to jump to the conclusion that's best for you.

No, I jumped to the conclusion that you posted.

Quote by JamieB
Quite a few of them aren't.

And quite a few people of the people who do Arts aren't good at them.

Quote by properBo
Well I do both and Media is a walk in the park compared to Physics.

Media is a joke.

Fewer people do maths/sciences because they're considered harder and fewer of the people who do take them achieve As.

Oscar Wilde
Ok since this argument seems to be going round in circles lets generalize it a bit:

lets pretend there is a group of people who is averagely talented in all areas, between them they take every single A-level subject possible. Can anyone really claim that they'll all get exactly the same marks in PE AND further maths, or media studies AND French? Course they wont. People may be good in different areas but we're looking at trends here, not individual cases. For someone equally good at media studies and maths, maths will be the harder one to get a good grade in.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
Page 1 of 2