Page 1 of 2
I've had my electric guitar for 2 days now and I've played it for 6 hours each day (even though it felt like 10 minutes) and i'm learning alot and i can play a couple cool riffs

My question is is it worth it to buy lessons? Tell me your opinion fron your experience
once your playing has leveled lessions can be worth it. i played for 4 years before i even thought about taking lessons. i learned by studying beginner books and writting my own songs. but if you dont have the motivation to play and learn everyday, then lessions would keep you on task and constantly learning.
Or you could subscribe to a guitar magazine like Total Guitar. It often include lessons from people like Herman Li (Dragonforce), Synyster Gates (Avenged Sevenfold), Paul Gilbert etc.
its always good to have a professional guitarist aiding u. so that u will be on the right track and also learning the right way.

most people who are self taught tend to learn the wrong way yea so if ure really into the guitar, i guess its a good thing
no, it's far more satisfying knowing you've had the patience and determination to learn an instrument youself rather than have your playing style influenced by somebody else telling you what to do, i've been playing around 8 months and my playing is just fine, i play for around an hour every night sometimes 2 hours. If you have the patience you will find it far more rewarding. The most satisfying thing however is knowing your a better guitarist than people who have been having lessons for like 3 years and still suck :p

good luck and do the right thing!
Quote by 3nemy
no, it's far more satisfying knowing you've had the patience and determination to learn an instrument youself rather than have your playing style influenced by somebody else telling you what to do, i've been playing around 8 months and my playing is just fine, i play for around an hour every night sometimes 2 hours. If you have the patience you will find it far more rewarding. The most satisfying thing however is knowing your a better guitarist than people who have been having lessons for like 3 years and still suck :p

It's not that you're taking somebody else's style, its that you're learning the most technically sound way and you're getting direct feedback from a person who knows their stuff. I started taking lessons about 2 months into playing guitar and have had them for close to 2 years now, the only downside to taking them is the money, period.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
dont get lessons, most of the people i know who takes lessons learn far slower, and play more of a processed style. When you're self taught(like me) you obtain your own style and theres less boundaries to what you should be doing. All the people I know who are self taught are much better guitarists, so Im speaking from my personal experiences
Quote by SoccerRM1
It's not that you're taking somebody else's style, its that you're learning the most technically sound way and you're getting direct feedback from a person who knows their stuff. I started taking lessons about 2 months into playing guitar and have had them for close to 2 years now, the only downside to taking them is the money, period.

ok whatever you say, all i'm saying is i have more freedom in playing than people i know who had lessons when we used to go to school and quite frankly they suck, they learnt nothing but ac/dc chords and various other stuff like green day which can be learnt by ear. I'd rather spend the money on guitars etc.

Also, with sites like this and magazines like total guitar and also video lessons you can buy the cost of having lessons is not very cost efficient.
Quote by 3nemy
ok whatever you say, all i'm saying is i have more freedom in playing than people i know who had lessons when we used to go to school and quite frankly they suck, they learnt nothing but ac/dc chords and various other stuff like green day which can be learnt by ear. I'd rather spend the money on guitars etc.

Also, with sites like this and magazines like total guitar and also video lessons you can buy the cost of having lessons is not very cost efficient.

I dont quite see how taking lessons reduces the amount of "freedom" you have with guitar, but since I have experience learning both ways, there are a lot of specific quesitons that a guitar professional can answer that some website cannot. Also, because your friends suck at guitar does not mean that lessons aren't worth it. My teacher asks me what songs I want to learn and what type of music I want to learn. This doesnt mean I can't do my own thing on the days I am not taking lessons either. I just think that people should reserve their opinions about taking lessons unless they actually have taken them.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
i like teaching myself because i like to go at my own pace. I learn things real fast.
Quote by newaccount
i like teaching myself because i like to go at my own pace. I learn things real fast.

there's another advantage, you can choose when you want to learn instead of thinking, uurrrgghh i can't be bothered with lessons tonight, then eventually getting bored and putting you off playing again.
I say for the first year or so you should try to teach your self and explore the guitar. Then if you feel like lessons after that to get your technique better then you could take lessons and learn theory at that point.
Quote by 3nemy

i thought the same after 8 months, but now i have lessons and it really helps a lot. you dont learn somebody elses style, you learn techniques, theory, and musical direction from lessons. a teacher helps you become a better musician in general, and i would reccommend them.
Quote by yoyodunno
I say for the first year or so you should try to teach your self and explore the guitar. Then if you feel like lessons after that to get your technique better then you could take lessons and learn theory at that point.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Learned on my own for a little over a year, got an idea of what I like to play and some basic personal style, then took lessons. IMO they're DEFENATELY worth the money, especially if you get with a good teacher that's well versed both in theory and your particular style of music, but is also well rounded in all styles. You may spend a year on one particular style, get a lesson from your instructor, then find you love another style as well. Bottom line, lessons help greatly at any point in your musical travels. I'd highly recommend it.
I've been playing guitar for a few months now without lessons. So far I'm doing fine without them.
i used to be self-taught,but i got tired of just learning songs. when i went to my teacher he showed me all these bad habits i had developed so i think u should get lessons
well they are not bad habits really, they are your playing style, if you learnt to play the songs accurately then what does it matter, this is why i refuse to get lessons, i'm not having somebody dictating my learning "oh you shouldn't do it that way because that's not how i play it" "this is the corect way" when really, there is no correct way to do anything if it sounds right and feels comfortable to you. Nobody said this is the right and wrong way to play the guitar, they left it up to people to decide how to play it, and that is why music "evolves" over time, because people adapt to playing their own way.

no matter what i will swear by teaching yourself. I'm not one for taking shortcuts, i am a very independent person and so far it's got me to a good standard.
the things i did were my style i guess, but it didnt let me get better. i played in a way that made my hand rigid and id always just downpick really fast and had like a crappy way of alternate picking. now that i have lessons i've gotten way better
Yeah, in addition I find it helps a ton to have someone showing you different ideas and concepts, as opposed to just reading about them or watching videos. I won't take anything away from self teaching, if you have the motivation and the tools then by all means, some of the guitar greats (IE; Hendrix) never took a lesson. However, for the rest of us that aren't as blessed, lessons are great for pointing you in the right direction and possibly exposing you to routines, concepts, and styles that you never would have pursued on your own.
is it bad to get lessons within the first week of getting my guitar?
It's not 'bad', but you could certainly teach yourself some basic fundamentals (open chords, a couple scales, a few songs) before you start taking lessons. It's entirely up to you, but I'd work on some basics before you go in for lessons, that way you'll have the 'easy stuff' out of the way and you'll have given yourself some time to decide what you like to play and start developing your own style.
I think that good self-taught guitar players found success despite not having formal lessons, not because of. If you can afford lessons, get them. Nothing wrong with going it alone, but your learning will have more focus with a good teacher.
i personally prefer learning by myself. However, i also played several instruments before guitar which i took lessons for so i have a decent understanding on theory and what to practice.

I like having the freedom to learn at my own pace and develop my techniques by myself, its more rewarding imo.
You can get lessons if you want. I would suggest lessons if your a total noob. Bcoz a tutor can guide you through the basics of music, like notes, how they are represented and stuff. Once your done with the basics, you can learn on your own....
Man , it's always useful to have more and more tools for you to learn. that website seems great . It's not like he's saying , hey play like this and if you play different you will be executed. By the way he has a very similar accent to borat which is kinda funny.The important thing is to keep focus and make sure you are evolving and not just learning the same things over and over again.
Taking Lessons Doesn't limit you, if anything it expands your range. The other guitarist in my band is self taught and although he may be better than me, i know more than he does which helps out a lot more. i don't think lessons slow you down, some people go at a different pace. But if u want to be a dedicated guitarist, i recommend taking lessons. you learn proper techniques and everything that comes with guitar
I would suggest them they really help because most o the time you will learn about musical theory as well. Well worth it.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
I am self taught on the guitar. I am classically trained on the piano. I feel a real sence of accomplishment on the guitar by teaching my self. How ever I believe it took me longer to get there on my own. Plus I believe it is very important to read music properly if you want to make it in this biz. If you have a audition and they hand you sheet music and can't play it they won't even concider you no matter how good you are. I'm talking with a none groupe not a local band. My advice is learn how to read music if you do teach your self.
Quote by Marsbe
Would lessons be good purely just to learn music theory?

No. Lessons are great for theory, granted, but they're also great to learn basic and advanced techniques, scales, difficult songs, and various music styles, not to mention learning to improvise both lead stuff and rythem stuff.
if you can self teach yourself its much better since you develope your own sound but it is much harder to teach youself to fretboard with the pinky
Quote by pfizer
Okay then, let's say I've got enough food to feed Yngwie Malmsteen for a day (about 6 months for regular people).
I think that good self-taught guitar players found success despite not having formal lessons, not because of. If you can afford lessons, get them. Nothing wrong with going it alone, but your learning will have more focus with a good teacher.

+1

Refusing to take lessons in order to develop your own style is nonsense. Why not take lessons AND develop your own style? The teacher doesn't prevent you from practicing what you want to play.

Lessons with a good teacher will help you learn faster and better. Why re-invent the wheel? Guitar has been around for a long time. I think the best way to develop one's own style comes from understanding a variety of techniques and styles -- what makes it your "own" is how you assemble all the techniques and styles after understanding them. A lot of self-taught musicians wind up being one-trick ponies, where they do one thing really well, but tend to be less versatile than a well-trained musician.

If you can afford them, take the lessons. There's no substitute to having a teacher correct your technique so you can get on to the business of playing music. Crappy technique holds back more players than lessons, IMHO.
Personally, I think it might be a good idea to have a few lessons just to get the basics down. After you have the basic building blocks of guitar playing, then you can stop and teach yourself the rest, if you want.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Lessons improve your skill by 100%

I've been taking them ever since I started playing guitar. They are $15 for half an hour lesson.
Dont take lessons. Learning by yourself is better in sooo many ways

1) You have to pay for lessons as well as a guitar.
2) You get a sense of achievement having learnt by yourself
3) You can learn at your own pace
4) You can decide how you want to play (i.e. music style, techniques etc.)

Make the right choice
i've decided to go with lessons to get some of the basics down, hopefully it's not a waste of money. thanks guys
Page 1 of 2