Ok so I've played guitar for a while and now im in a band. I need to get an amp that can play well at gigs I heard that it should greater than 50-100W.

Then I came across amp heads and wondered what they do. I noticed they're seperate from the actual amp. So what are amp heads? DO they contribute to wattage? Does the wattage of my amp have to be the same as the head? How do you hook the head up to your amp?

Sorry for these questions but it'd really help. ANd if you feel like it, drop me some suggestions for an amp and head combo that sounds good (I play rock and metal mostly).
heads are usually used in valve amps, they are basically the think which determs your guitar sound, and processes it, then you MUST connect it up to a speaker (usually a cabinet) so you can hear the sound. Tryed to explain it simply, hope that helped.

Anyway 50w is far loud enough for band situtation. Especially if its a tube amp, because tube amps are approximately 3-5 times louder (depends on amp) than a solid state amplifier of the same wattage. A 30-50w of tube amp would be far loud enough for band situations, and if it had a master volume on it, it would be good for bedroom levels.

Hope that helped
ok, a combo amp is the eletronics and speaker(s) all in one inclosure. a head is the eletronics and the cab is obviously the speakers. the ohms of your head and cab need to properly match to get full potention out of it. since you dont know too much yet stay cheep, check out the behringer ultrastack. its a head and cab for around 500USD.
It's ok to be a n00b. We've all been there.

An amp head needs to be connected to speakers in order to make sound. What you refer to as "the actual amp" is a speaker cabinet. It's actually the head that is the actual amp. A head connected to a speaker cabinet is called a stack or half-stack. What you probably think of as an amp is a combo, i.e. the head and speaker(s) are built into one.
A head is an amp w/out speakers. U cant plug two amps together. to get sound out of a head, u need a speaker cabinet. Its too much money for a stack that ur gonna turn up to only about 3 or so. And the tone isnt gonna be too great either.
if u have the money, look for a 30w tube combo instead of a stack. 30w tube are loud enuff.
vox ad50vt......it rocks
equipment
guitars:
lefty fender tele standard ,
lefty tanglewood electro-acoustic
usa gibson flying v (flipped for lefty)
castrol oil can single coil electric
amp
vox ad50vt
pedals
dunlop crybaby wah
mxr blue box

go on ireland!
OK wait, so what are cabinets?

The head amp is basically the thing that modifies your sound I guess right? can it work by itself or does it need a "cabinet'?

Oh, my range is probably going for around $300-$400. I prefer Crate, but whatver brand is fine as long as it sounds good.

Thanks
Ok I get it so basically:

An amp combo is the amp that has the settings on it, so its likea 2-in-1.

The head is the part you set up to the actual amp, which are cabinets.

Is that right? If so which affects your tone more, the head or the amp? Can you get a good sound with a crappy cabinet but an awesome amp head (and vice-versa)?
Quote by MakotoYume
OK wait, so what are cabinets?

The head amp is basically the thing that modifies your sound I guess right? can it work by itself or does it need a "cabinet'?

Oh, my range is probably going for around $300-$400. I prefer Crate, but whatver brand is fine as long as it sounds good.

Thanks

yes, i needs a cabinet, the head has no speakers in it. Try the Crate V series, there tube and i think the 50w combo is in your budget.
Quote by MakotoYume
Ok I get it so basically:

An amp combo is the amp that has the settings on it, so its likea 2-in-1.

The head is the part you set up to the actual amp, which are cabinets.

Is that right? If so which affects your tone more, the head or the amp? Can you get a good sound with a crappy cabinet but an awesome amp head (and vice-versa)?

the head IS the amp, the cab just has speakers in it, no electronics.
and a combo is exactly the same as a head, only instead of the speakers being separate, they are in the same enclosure
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by burn the stars
ok, a combo amp is the eletronics and speaker(s) all in one inclosure. a head is the eletronics and the cab is obviously the speakers. the ohms of your head and cab need to properly match to get full potention out of it. since you dont know too much yet stay cheep, check out the behringer ultrastack. its a head and cab for around 500USD.

No.
Dont listen to someone who cant spell electronics.
The head holds the 'guts' of your amp. Then you hook up to a cabinet (in most cases), which together forms a 'halfstack'. Most people think that they are loud. Most people are wrong though, because most people use solid state amps. Solid state halfstack=no balls
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
So I look for valve or tube amp heads, ok. So the head affects all of your tone and the speakers dont, right? So which is better then, combos or half stacks?
Speakers affect your tone, but not as much as the amp.

Combo's are nice for one portable amp, but they get REALLY heavy once the wattage/speakers get big. Then you can get an amp head and cab, and make 2 seperate not as heavy trips.

I would check out the Crate V16 Palomino.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi