Page 1 of 2
Curious what UG thinks about:

Friday, October 19th, 2007

New message from Billie Joe and the NRDC:

This is a public service announcement from Yours Truly!

Toyota wants everyone to think they are green -- but behind the scenes, they are working against progress.

More than a million people bought a Prius hybrid from Toyota because they want to do the right thing for our planet. Hybrid cars are great because they can go many more miles on a gallon of gas than a regular car can, so they put out less of the pollution that is causing global warming.

Right now, Congress is working on a bill that could get car companies to manufacture cars that are more like the Prius, cars that can go an average of at least 35 miles on every gallon of gas. This would be the first improvement in U.S. fuel economy standards in almost 20 years, and it would save America 1.2 million barrels of oil every day. That is more oil than we import from Saudi Arabia.

But now Toyota is copping out. It's hard to believe, but the company that makes the Prius and other super-efficient hybrids is trying to stop Congress from taking the strongest possible action to make cars more efficient.

Go to nrdconline.org and tell Toyota to stop lobbying against the 35 miles per gallon by 2020 standard!

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers -- the powerful lobbying group that Toyota is an active member of -- is saying the goal of making cars by 2020 that get an average of 35 miles per gallon is "unattainable." That makes no sense, since Toyota is making the Prius, which gets almost 50 miles per gallon, right now!

Toyota advertises itself as the greenest car company. That company needs to walk the walk. Go to greenday_globalwarming_toyota now. Tell Toyota to stop fighting progress and start fighting global warming!

Thanks for taking action to reduce America's dangerous dependence on oil.

Yours Truly,

Billie Joe Armstrong

Green Day + NRDC

P.S. If you or your family own a Toyota hybrid or are thinking about buying one, please say that in your online message to Toyota.

(that was from www.greenday.net if anyone is wondering?)

EDIT: I just realized that all the links broke.... youll have to go the website if you want to follow any of them.
Toyota= Fail
Green Day= Fail

This thread= Fail x2

Domestic Car= Win
Lynyrd Skynyrd= Win
Guns= Win

So:

Lynyrd Skynyrd with Guns and US Cars> Hippies with Punk Pop bands and Japan Cars

AND:

Free Bird>American Idiot
Last edited by FRDesign at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by FRDesign
Toyota= Fail
Green Day= Fail

This thread= Fail x2

ok
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
well, i'm not one to side with Billie Joe
but i'm siding with him
hug your local pug dealer!
Obviously they'll block it. If all cars were good for the environment they'd lose a lot of money because their big marketing ploy would be down the drain.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
JAWKEDIT: jsut finished reading, soz for being an ass and reporting , i thought it wasn't supposed to be in this forum as well. anyway, lets just watch the rugby .
DANK MEMES
Last edited by Jawkster at Oct 20, 2007,
Who gives a **** about the environment?
More importantly, who gives a **** about what Billie Joe Armstrong has to say?
Yeah, from now on, I'll take political and environmental advice from a high school dropout/ former drug dealer/ prick.
Toyota doesn't hate the environment, you morons. They're against this bill because they'd lose billions of dollars if all the car companies were to do the same.

Use your brains, you sheep.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Nice, green day fans are known for having enough money to buy expensive cars...

Nevermind that, the fans not being old enough to drive is something else billie joel forgot about.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Jawkster
*reported*

vs. threads my friend.

Why would you report him because of that?

Well, anyway, the truth is that most people just don't want to buy hybrid vehicles. And, even of they were cheaper, they still probably wouldn't sell as well as their gas-gussling, noisy, and overall more awesome counterparts.
Last edited by thewho65 at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by FRDesign

Domestic Car= Win
Lynyrd Skynyrd= Win
Guns= Win

Love that shit.
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Quote by Jawkster
*reported*

vs. threads my friend.

what do you care if it's a VS. thread? stop brownnosing the mods and leave the thread if you don't like it.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by julio1987
Who gives a **** about the environment?
More importantly, who gives a **** about what Billie Joe Armstrong has to say?
Yeah, from now on, I'll take political and environmental advice from a high school dropout/ former drug dealer/ prick.

Theres something an idiot would say. We should all care about the environment because we live in it and then our children will have to live in it. Think about that before you make yourself look stupid.
I'm sure most people will be against Billie Joe simply because he's Billie Joe. I think he has a point.

The thing is, I don't know why Toyota is so bothered about it. They don't own the idea of a hybrid vehicle. They have no right to prevent others from making one.

General Motors have developped a hydrogen cell powered car. And they were actually bribed by oil companies to keep it out of production, or so I heard.
Lol.

The great thing is, CO2 emissions from cars aren't even the biggest cause of global warming.

It's polluting industries.
Quote by Vermintide
Lol.

The great thing is, CO2 emissions from cars aren't even the biggest cause of global warming.

It's polluting industries.

I thought it was turning your lights on when it's not neccessary...
Quote by FRDesign
Toyota= Fail
Green Day= Fail

This thread= Fail x2

Domestic Car= Win
Lynyrd Skynyrd= Win
Guns= Win

So:

Lynyrd Skynyrd with Guns and US Cars> Hippies with Punk Pop bands and Japan Cars

AND:

Free Bird>American Idiot

oh
my
god
i
love
you
+5 billion trillion
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Quote by Kensai

Light bulbs don't really give off CO2, I think you're thinking about UV.
Quote by Kensai

No actually it's because people use Google with a white background instead of the environmentally friendlier site that leeches off Google but has a black background.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
pssh...japanese cars. my german audi a4 can already do over 35 miles to the gallon. people dont need to buy hybrid cars. they need to buy better cars.
Quote by Kensai

Which is essentially moar work for the Cloud Making industry. (Power plants.)

All this **** about global warming makes me wonder about the competence of our leaders. With any brains they'd just enact the Clean Air ordanance. It even brings in a few simoleans a month.

Haven't they ever played SimCity? It's simple.
Quote by Colgate Total
Toyota doesn't hate the environment, you morons. They're against this bill because they'd lose billions of dollars if all the car companies were to do the same.

Use your brains, you sheep.

+1. But I still went to the page and sent the angry letter to Toyota, because the environment > Toyota's business needs.
Quote by cashewchaching's
what do you care if it's a VS. thread? stop brownnosing the mods and leave the thread if you don't like it.

+1 The 05'ers and earlier people need to stop acting like they're mods.

With any brains they'd just enact the Clean Air ordanance. It even brings in a few simoleans a month.

Yeah but that costs $5 and I spent all my money building fusion power plants
Quote by thewho65

I think my science teacher said that those fluorescent (sp?) bulbs can actually harm the environment cause they've got mercury in them. Don't know if it's true though.

And about the Toyota thing, I think Colgate Total is right. Someone said the same thing in a similar thread yesterday.
Loyal Member of the "Pluto Memorial Club." PM Dæmönika
Member 20 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09
Member 4 of UG's Anti-Hunting League - PM Holy Katana
Heretic And Killer, P.M guitar_man_guy or T0xicitY
Billie Joe should shut the hell up. I'm guessing he doesn't know **** about cars. I love this line:
"The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers -- the powerful lobbying group that Toyota is an active member of -- is saying the goal of making cars by 2020 that get an average of 35 miles per gallon is "unattainable." That makes no sense, since Toyota is making the Prius, which gets almost 50 miles per gallon, right now!"

Yes one car makes 50mpg, but that's because its made to get that mileage. The Prius is full of compromises to make it an extremely efficient car, and not everyone wants to buy a car like that. Toyota is against this because their luxury brand in the U.S. is Lexus which makes big V-8 powered sedans that compare to the BMW 5-series and Mercedes E-Class. There's no way in hell Lexus that make a 35mpg average for the company, their hybrids only average around 26mpg.

This 35mpg standard is ridiculous, it should be geared to the cars that normal people buy like Corrolas, Civics, Accords, and the numerous other foreign and domestic cars that compete with those cars. They can't expects marques like Porsche, Ferrari, etc to hit this target. BMW, Audi, Lexus, and Mercedes might be able to do it, but the standards should be different for their large flagship sedans because those cars are only a small percentage of the market and have little to no effect on pollution. Yes a car like an S-Class pollutes more than a Civic, but the overall amount of pollution put out by Civics is higher than the total amount of pollution put out by S-Classes because there are one helluva lot more Civics on the road (this makes sense in my head).
"is saying the goal of making cars by 2020 that get an average of 35 miles per gallon is "unattainable."

that's also because their cars are so damn good that really old ones are still running around, getting good millage. by 2020 you'd still have early 90s Toyotas running around, that are decent but would just barely miss that millage requirement. Other companies don't care since their cars are such crap that you have get new ones every 4 years or so anyway.
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
Quote by Mad Marius
No actually it's because people use Google with a white background instead of the environmentally friendlier site that leeches off Google but has a black background.

Aaah, yes. I forgot about that one (well, "repressed" is more the word).

Quote by thewho65

No, I was being sarcastic

Quote by Vermintide

All this **** about global warming makes me wonder about the competence of our leaders. With any brains they'd just enact the Clean Air ordanance. It even brings in a few simoleans a month.

They should really play more simcity.

But then again, some less gifted people would spend billions of dollars to ensure we don't get attacked by an aggressive flying saucer.
Quote by Shooshooky
"is saying the goal of making cars by 2020 that get an average of 35 miles per gallon is "unattainable."

that's also because their cars are so damn good that really old ones are still running around, getting good millage. by 2020 you'd still have early 90s Toyotas running around, that are decent but would just barely miss that millage requirement. Other companies don't care since their cars are such crap that you have get new ones every 4 years or so anyway.

nope, this only affects new cars, not their old ones, read my post above to see why Toyota is pissed (and a lot of other car companies)
Quote by Vermintide

Just to let you know there actually is a Clean Air Act, as well as a Clean Water Act that are already in place.
I see where Toyota is coming from, if they are the only ones that make a car that gets 35mpg and is environmentally friendly then they have a way to market and possibly make more money in sales as well as support from environmental groups.
The problem with hybrids is that tey still give off co2 emissions, just like ethanol. We need to look into a clean burning fuel such as hydrogen, or even sugar cane. Sugar cane is completely co2 free but we don't want to use it yet because countries like Brazil would begin to tear forest down completely to plant sugar cane.
Quote by Ikilledkenny
I think my science teacher said that those fluorescent (sp?) bulbs can actually harm the environment cause they've got mercury in them. Don't know if it's true though.

And about the Toyota thing, I think Colgate Total is right. Someone said the same thing in a similar thread yesterday.

That's true. Yet GE says it's not a problem. This is right from GE's Q&A page:

Airborne mercury poses a very low risk of exposure.

wtf?

No, I was being sarcastic

Damnit! Another example of how internet sarcasm doesn't work (or pwns you in my case.)
Last edited by thewho65 at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by Kevin97220
Theres something an idiot would say. We should all care about the environment because we live in it and then our children will have to live in it. Think about that before you make yourself look stupid.

I'd rather be honest than agree with something an ill-informed person wrote. I'm assuming you probably drive a hybrid, recycle, and do everything you can to help the environment, because if you didn't you'd be a hypocrite, going against your own beliefs and morals.

I'd honestly prefer if this bill didn't get passed. Not because I hate the environment (as some sarcasm-deprived thick people here would believe), but because, like seat belts or national forest parks, it'll end up a disaster.

JD Red LP actually knows what he's talking about.
Last edited by julio1987 at Oct 20, 2007,
It's fair in my opinion... I mean of all the bands around today, I haven't seen any one of them that supportive to the environment. By the way to Toyota... you're freaking selfish... If there was no environment you wouldn't give a piss about your "business needs."

FOr the person who doesn't understand Toyota's "problem": Toyota is one of the few car brands that sell a very special kind of efficient car. If every single car brand were to do the same, Toyota would be losing a lot... so? If they were as supposidly "caring" about the environment, they wouldn't care about making a profit on their efficiant cars. They would just do it because it helped the environment.
I HAVE A BAND NAMED FALLING CONFESSIONS
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

"When there's a freakin' will, there is always a freakin' way!"
All sides are full of BS on this one.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Kensai
Aaah, yes. I forgot about that one (well, "repressed" is more the word).

You mean you still use regular white Google? You know you're slowly killing us all, right?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Page 1 of 2