I've got a Marshall MG100DFX, and my buddy's got a Line 6 Spider, I'm not sure what its called specifically but I'm pretty sure its 75 watts. Whenever we play together at a band practice or something, his amp is ALWAYS louder than mine. I dunno what it is, like mine sounds more muffled or something. I don't really have the contour up on my amp that much, which usually makes it really muffled sounding. He's usually playing on a Fender Strat and I usually play either a Epiphone Les Paul or a Schecter. Is his amp just better or what?
Member #5 of the Official Conan O'Brien Club; PM Tom Trendy to join
What settings are your amps at?

If his eq has a higher mid or high then yours, you'll have to crank yours up to match it.

But for the most part, spiders are just loud.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
prepare for flaming on ur mg
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

It sounds louder and brighter because he has single coils and you have humbuckers. He has his Mid up as well and you probably dont. Also, he probably is playing using the back pickups. The single coil will sound brighter and overpower the lower, fuller sound if you arent playing with distortion. Tell him to use his front pickups and tell him to lower his highs.
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
oh yea. set the "contour" knob at 0. it will make it significantly louder.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by lexaah
prepare for flaming on ur mg

I think the MG will recieve less flaming in a match against the Spider.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
amps are also very directional, so maybe your ears are facing his amp, more than they are yours.play around with that too
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
Quote by Andras5soul
It sounds louder and brighter because he has single coils and you have humbuckers. He has his Mid up as well and you probably dont. Also, he probably is playing using the back pickups. The single coil will sound brighter and overpower the lower, fuller sound if you arent playing with distortion. Tell him to use his front pickups and tell him to lower his highs.

Actually he really doesnt use mid at all, he almost always has something like bass and treble all the way up and no mid. I usually play with some mid and alot of bass so I guess I could see how he could sound louder there. Also he broke the treble knob on his amp so cant really do much about that anymore.
Drop the bass down increase the mids and turn your amp up. Single coils are brighter and cut through better epiphone humbuckers are abit muddy also.
If you are using distortion get a distortion pedal and use the MG on the clean channel. It will give you more punch, less mud and probably sound a lot louder. Not urging you to get into a competition, but if you need more there it is.
please don't post a video of your band on youtube or anything until you've both got new amps...

Firstly, louder does not equal better. secondly, more wattage does not equal louder. and there could be many reasons why it seems louder.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
please don't post a video of your band on youtube or anything until you've both got new amps...

Firstly, louder does not equal better. secondly, more wattage does not equal louder. and there could be many reasons why it seems louder.

Its not like im trying to be louder than him or anything, or just be loud for the hell of it, its just that you cant really hear what im playing when he is playing much louder and cutting through all other sound. Id just like to be heard when im playing something that i wrote and spent time on you know?

Oh and too late we already have a video on youtube...
Quote by Kick Me
Its not like im trying to be louder than him or anything, or just be loud for the hell of it, its just that you cant really hear what im playing when he is playing much louder and cutting through all other sound. Id just like to be heard when im playing something that i wrote and spent time on you know?

can we get a link for teh lawlz?

yeah, probably a combination of the pickups and the fact that the distortion on your MG, quite simply, sucks. +1 to the distortion pedal idea, if not a new amp to completely pwn his spider.
Quote by Kick Me

i think you missed my point because i missed your point. i thought you were saying that your friends amp was better just because its louder, my bad.

i think a good idea would be to find out if anyone else can hear you, because it could just be that you can't hear yourself, but everyone else can. i know from experience that you can be stood directly in front of your amp and still not be able to pick out a single note from it, while everyone else can hear you clearly. if not, try putting your amp on top of some chairs or on a stand, or angling it upwards to help it project the less directional frequencies towards you so that you can hear the whole output better.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

lol a mg and a spider in a band. ****in awesome
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
His sounds louder because he has a bright guitar and probably quite alot of mids dialed in. You have a darker sounding guitar and relatively few mids. Simply put, you've EQ'ed the amp wrong.

Dial some mids and you'll hear yourself. The guitar is a midrange instrument and without the mids dialed in, you'll just fade into the mix.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
An MG, a Spider, scooped mids... I shall pray Eric Johnson never finds you.
Quote by merfsullivan
I think the MG will recieve less flaming in a match against the Spider.

What? The spider is atually half-decent, the MG is just terrible
Because your buddy is turning his up when no one notices because he wants to be louder then you and stand out more.
Quote by Kick Me
I've got a Marshall MG100DFX, and my buddy's got a Line 6 Spider, I'm not sure what its called specifically but I'm pretty sure its 75 watts. Whenever we play together at a band practice or something, his amp is ALWAYS louder than mine. I dunno what it is, like mine sounds more muffled or something. I don't really have the contour up on my amp that much, which usually makes it really muffled sounding. He's usually playing on a Fender Strat and I usually play either a Epiphone Les Paul or a Schecter. Is his amp just better or what?

I think it also helps the spider spread the sound as its open back.Plus spiders are loud
oh god, a spider and an mg, who lets these kids be in a band....

neither one is better because they both suck a chode.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by Aziraphale
An MG, a Spider, scooped mids... I shall pray Eric Johnson never finds you.

was bumping this thread entirely necessary?

Probably not, but his comment kinda made me lol.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
phew! i hate to be in the middle of that jam session.

anyway.. boost your mids.. cut your trebs a bit.. like the uld hippi suggested.. maybe try a pedal on the clean channel.

Usually if i want to run a distortion pedal.. i run it thru the gain channel on my amp. i always find the gain channel much less bright yielding a smoother tone.

and obviously i only have the gain on the amp around.. 1 or 2.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Blompcube
was bumping this thread entirely necessary?

Why not, it didn't hurt anybody and we've got the tubes now so this thread has gotten purpose.