Hello everyone (new to the forum here), I've been playing guitar for about a year and I'm looking into getting a better amp. I've read the amp guide at the top of this page and I know some stuff about it, but what I need help is an opinion or anything that you guys can help me with. I'm in a band, and we'll be gigging in about 7 months.

I've looked at several amps, but I'm not really sure which one to go for. There are two I'm looking at (maybe a third as well). The two are the Peavey XXX Super 40 Combo, or the Line 6 Spider Valve 212 Combo. I was also thinking about getting the Peavey 6505 Combo. Any opinion (non-bias opinions please) on these three or any recommendations to others. My budget can be from $600-$1800. I mostly play metal music (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Overkill, Testament type stuff). Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks!
dont get a spider. go for the peaveys . are you looking at a half stack or just combo tube?
id say go peavey or mesa boogie
Do you play regular gigs with a band, or foresee doing so sometime soon? If you don't, then you don't need a huge amp. Tube/valve would be preferable, but I'd recommend getting a small valve amp over a big SS one like the Spider.
The Peavey XXX is a pretty decent amp. Compared with the 6505, it is a much brighter amp. The 6505 is for teh_brtuhtulz dark tone chug chug. Both are pretty decent, although not my favorites. If you can, I would suggest the 6505+, its tone is less dry imo. The Line 6 Vavle combo looks pretty cool, even though there are some idiots on here that won't give it a chance because of the infamous Spider III, forgetting that the Valve's tube circuitry was done by Bogner. It definately lookd great for the price and has lots of versatility but you might want to try it out. Personally, I would be leaning towards the XXX or Spider Valve (6505 just isn't my favorite. Saw Misery Signals play with one last night and didn't exactly like the tone. Then again, they are noobs at setting up tone )

If your price range goes up to $1800, you could look into a head on a 2x12 cab. My two channel triple recto on a 4x12 only cost me $1150 total, so if you look you can find deals on some really nice amps if you go used. Look into two channel rectos, Mark IVs, Fireballs and Powerballs (wouldn't need to go used), CARVIN V3s, and stick a 2x12 with v30 speakers under it from www.avatarspeakers.com

Quote by Swat Man
dont get a spider. go for the peaveys . are you looking at a half stack or just combo tube?
id say go peavey or mesa boogie

Have you ever even tried the spider or heard it? Its ridiculous to just cast it off without trying it just because they make some other crappy stuff. And "go peavey or mesa" is pretty broad advice. There are so many different amps from those companies that sound radically different.

Quote by blue_strat
Do you play regular gigs with a band, or foresee doing so sometime soon? If you don't, then you don't need a huge amp. Tube/valve would be preferable, but I'd recommend getting a small valve amp over a big SS one like the Spider.

The spider isn't SS dude...

edit: To TS, TESTAMENT
Last edited by Say Ocean at Oct 20, 2007,
The few credible reviews I have come across on several forums (about 6 or 7) on the Line 6 valve have been fairly negative. I ruled out obvious bandwagoners and players who dissed it without trying it. The jury is still out.
Jsx. Gogogo
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by uldhppi
The few credible reviews I have come across on several forums (about 6 or 7) on the Line 6 valve have been fairly negative. I ruled out obvious bandwagoners and players who dissed it without trying it. The jury is still out.

I've heard some good things and some bad things. The important part is that the TS needs to go to a store or find a friend and try out these amps himself, since his ears are more accurate than what we type.
you dont hear good things from spiders lol. he is just going to have to try out some peaveys and mesas to see which he likes more.
Quote by Say Ocean
I've heard some good things and some bad things. The important part is that the TS needs to go to a store or find a friend and try out these amps himself, since his ears are more accurate than what we type.

I can probably try the line 6 amp at my local store, but the store I go to doesn't sell any Peavey amps. I would run down to guitar center, the only problem is its very far away and I don't get much free time to drive down there. I probably will go down once I'm done with my fall semester but that won't be until december.

Right now I'm just looking for what to shoot for, for an amp. I've never been to the guitar center, so I'm not sure but I'll ask, will they allow me to bring my own guitar in to try it out on their amps? The other store I go to lets me do that.

Also for the gigs, we plan on gigging regularly, but probably plan on playing a more than the average band does. I don't mind if its combo or a stack.
Last edited by heftywhiteman at Oct 20, 2007,
Well, they will probably let you do that. They are selling a product, and if thats what you have to do to buy it they will let you. Look at all the amps I and a couple others listed, look up clips on youtube, and also on this website www.netmusicians.org it is a huge tone data base that will give you the basic idea of what different amps sound like. Its worth waiting and making a trip unless you find an amp you absolutely love at the closer shop.
Hmm, I'm thinking the majority of the bands you listed had/have more of a lower gain (maybe Marshally?) kinda thing going on. I'm not sure.
These go to eleven...