Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a Fender Mustang. What do you guys think of them? I play alternative rock/metal/punk/grunge. Stuff like that. What are other guitars up to $700 that might be good for that style of music. Any suggestions, comments or anything are welcome. Thanks in advance!
EDIT: I have an old peavey amp, not exactly sure what type, its 65 watts and about 16 years old. It sounds pretty good but not great.
Last edited by altgrunge at Oct 20, 2007,
what kind of amp do you have cuz thats what will give you that sound
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
You'd probably want something with humbuckers, Mustangs are super super thin sounding. I love mine though, great feel and the workmanship is excellent.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
i think they are great if you can get used to the awkward switches, thats the only thing i don't like about mustangs and its a BIG letdown for me. Aside from the oddness of that, its a really nice guitar, excellent playability and very comfortable.

might not give you the sound you're looking for though. The only way you can get something that isn't totally thin "twang" is to flick both switches so they are pushed in the same direction so you have both pickups in phase. that will give you a thicker tone, but it won't have a lot of presence..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Oct 20, 2007,
I like those guitars so i would buy it cuz they play great but a humbucker is a better idea unless you route it
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
Quote by Newdawn
I like those guitars so i would buy it cuz they play great but a humbucker is a better idea unless you route it

he could get single coil sized humbuckers.. although i'm not sure if they'd really fatten the sound up much. There shouldn't be much of a problem with using a mustang for any of the genres he listed, but i don't think a mustang is the ideal choice.

A guitar similar in feel but more metal/grunge orientated would be the HH Jaguar, although i think its considerably more expensive. Or you could try to find a Cyclone, which is very similar to the mustang, but with a bridge humbucker and a strat bridge.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

^ yeah listen to him i forgot about cyclone but those are discontinued now and are like ebay only right
Quote by nasstyman
I think, when buying a guitar like the Mustang, you need to consider the vibe factor. I'm sure there's something out there for less that'll get you closer to that sound, but just look at the Mustang. Don't you wanna just pick it up and hug it and put it in the passanger seat of your convertable Bel Air and take it to drive in movie on a warm summer night?
I love them, but the thing that turns me off is the price tag. It's really just paying for the cool shape.

You might want to put in a single coil sized HB in the bridge.

It seemes fitting for your genres though...

Check out some Strats and LPs, the ones over 500 bucks...Deluxe Player Strat, LP Custom, 60s, 70s, 80s strats...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
You're also paying for the Japanese labor
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I love them, but the thing that turns me off is the price tag. It's really just paying for the cool shape.

CYCLONE! honestly. its near enough the same shape. but it doesn't have the same vibe. I'll admit i have a weakness to the vibe of a mustang even though i don't like the switching... its the kind of guitar i'd buy and not want to change a thing about it even though there's things i don't like about it... odd really.

i love my mustang but you are gonna need new pickups for anything rock/metal/grunge the stock pups are just so weak and i mean very weak. but the neck is so amazing my favourite ever.