So, ive been saving up for a JSX combo becuase im sick of my ****ty 15g frontman amp. Now that ive got about $900 ive realized that i should probably get an attenuator, because 120 watts+ 2x12 is going to be really facking loud, no matter what, and it will probably be 10x louder than i will ever need (Im not gigging as of now).

Should i just get a different amp? Or should i get a JSX head and then a cheap 1x12 cab?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
You shouldn't need an attenuator. If you have a gentle touch, you can tweak the volume a fair amount to keep it low. An attenuator is more for "Crank it and play" amps like old school Fenders, Marshalls, or amps like Train Wrecks or some Fuchs.
but still, it'll still be loud as hell. But then again, i suppose i dont really need powertube disortion
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Nah, you should easily be able to get a good tone out of it at low volumes without one. With the JSX, its gain lies more in the preamp than the poweramp. Granted, it probably would sound better with one on it, but I honestly don't think the trade-off of replacing tubes more frequently is as good with that amp as with others.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
the master volume isn't a switch for off/120watts. u can be gentle to get it to whispering volume.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
a lot of the reviews say it sounds almost as good at low volumes, like its almost self-attenuating. it shouldnt be a problem
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
You can pull out the outer two power tubes to cut the power down to 60 watts, but it doubles the impedance.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
IMO, it sounds as great as low volumes as it does loud. You won't need an attenuator. Also, keep in mind that attenuators don't give off a perfect sound that you would get at the high volume. You would be far better off just doing without it.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Well, they make a smaller amp in the JSX line called the 'Mini Colossal' which might be exactly what you're after! It's only five watts but would suit you fine for jamming and recording.
To be honest though, a full-size combo will still sound decent at low volume, though it's always better turned up a bit!
im pretty sure the jsx has a half power switch so it would sound good at lower volume, but even if it doesnt, an attenuator isnt needed. i played this at guitar center pretty quiet and it sounded amazing(just a little overpriced imo)

Edit: Yes, the jsx does have a half power switch, and almost every review i've read mentiones its great sound at lower volumes, so i wouldnt wast the money on an attenuator.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Last edited by SkateEmerica987 at Oct 21, 2007,