ok i like old skool thrash and death metal (metallica, megadeth, slayer, exodus, heathen, testament, overkill, morbid angel, death, obituary)... right now i have a boss mt-2 metalzone...its been a great pedal and had good tones, but im just ready to try some others out and experiment.. what are some good distortion pedals for my type music? i was looking at rocktrons, they seem pretty good
Quote by Guitargod12345
The Boss MT-2

He already has an Mt-2

Get the electro harmonix Metal muff.
Screw all that SS crap and look into things like the Damage Control Solid Metal and Demonizer, the Radial ToneBone Plexitube or Hot British, or one of the Vox Cooltron pedals. All of those mentioned are all tube distortion pedals and kick most SS pedals in the nuts. Expensive but well worth it.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
If you're gonna shell out for tubes, get them in an AMP.

+1 on the Metal Muff.

You're saying it's better to chuck out your amp and go buy a new $1000+ one than to buy a $150-$200 pedal that will sound awesome on ANY amp?
No, actually. My apoligies, I was thinking in terms of my rig and rigs of the past. I think, $200 pedal, compared to my $130 Valve Junior and $100 cab, and think that it's a silly extravagance. If I had a F-30, a V3, and a XXX, with a cab for each, I'd probably think a $200 tube powered distortion pedal is an excellent idea. He's looking at rocktrons, so I presume he dosn't have the budget or rig to justify a $200 pedal. My mistake for not thinking as globably.
i have a randall rx120dhs ($600) and esp m-400 ($600) with some pedals... not great but ive only been playing 1 1/2 years.. so what kind of distortion pedals should i be looking at as an upgrade from my boss mt-2..or maybe not upgrade but just something different but good
also i have a solid state amp... should i get solid state pedals too? i have the budget for tube pedals if it makes that big of a difference
Quote by kirkhammett09
also i have a solid state amp... should i get solid state pedals too? i have the budget for tube pedals if it makes that big of a difference

Well, tubes definitely make a difference in the big picture - it's why everyone goes for tube amps nowadays. Tubes make for better tonal dynamics and pick attack. If something sounds good or not is solely up to the listener - you may be happy with the cheapest pedal in the world, who knows. But if you are like me and have a sweet tube amp with only a single channel (clean) you certainly wouldn't want to take away from it's quality by buying some cheap solid state pedal. Hence my opinion that tube pedals are the way to go - especially for distortion.

Plus, the whole point of buying high end pedals is that you can keep them forever. You don't come to that point where you get a nicer amp and all of a sudden your pedals don't stack up. If you can afford, say, a Damage Control Demonizer/Solid Metal, and think it sounds great, then get one and use it on any amp for years to come.
Quote by kirkhammett09
i have a randall rx120dhs ($600) and esp m-400 ($600) with some pedals... not great but ive only been playing 1 1/2 years.. so what kind of distortion pedals should i be looking at as an upgrade from my boss mt-2..or maybe not upgrade but just something different but good

If you really want something different, buy MXR M-151 Double shot dist.You can find a whole bunch of new sounds in it, from Dime's signatured sound to really ****ed-up fuzz (in a good way), and they are all pretty good.
My gear:
Jackson RR3 moded (EMG 81/85, OFR)
Jackson JS30 (with Duncan JB/Jazz from my RR3)
Peavey studio pro 112
MXR Double shot dist.
MXR 10 band EQ
Crybaby 535Q

Metal Rulez
I play death metal to and i bought a DOD FX 86 death metal distortion pedal
Its the best pedal ever made simply said.
it has so much gain awesome sound screaming solos and pinches with the heaviest
riffage. its really good in drop d tuning so its great for DEATH style stuff (R.I.P Chuck).
They stopped making them 7 years ago so you got to get it off ebay.
its like busting a nut playing on it.
but watch out they are nutorious for blowing amps