I've used both MXL's a few times. The problem with the bulky vocal mic in a live gig is that it's multi-directional. This is a problem because it will pick up whatever's in front of you (the audience). Not to mention it's ultra-sensitive. I've never actually attempted to use this mic live, but I assume it would give you a lot of problems with squeaking and feedback.

I actually have tried to use the narrower condenser mic for live performances. It was so sensitive that all I got was constant squeaking and feedback. But of the two, the narrower mic would probably be a better bet for live gigs.

For recording, these mics are awesome (as far as vocals and acoustic guitars go). I use them all the time and I've never had any complaints. My advice is to invest a tad bit more and buy the MXL's for the studio and something else for live gigs. The SM58 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM58-Mic?sku=270101) or cheaper Behringer XM58500 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-XM8500-Microphone?sku=270490) are good choices for vocals. You can't go wrong with the SM58, but the XM8500 is a much more affordable option. I'm actually looking to buy an XM8500 soon, but I suggest you read the reviews and make your own decision. As far as micing an acoustic guitar, I don't know enough to help you with that. Sorry.

Please don't take my word on this because my knowledge is very limited. I just felt obliged to respond since I have a tad bit of experience. I'd suggest you do a bit more research before making any decisions. Good luck!
Last edited by shortyafter at Oct 21, 2007,
Thanks for the imput!

I already have a mic to use on stage (i havent tried using it for recording), but what i am realy looking for is a good acoustic condencer mic that i can also use for recording and playing live.

Mabe im better off just purchasing a pickup?
Like I said, the condenser microphone is excellent for recording. But when I used it live it gave me a lot of squeaking. I'd suggest you do a bit more research or get someone else's opinion before deciding if you want to buy it or not.