i was at the guitar shop today trying amps. tried the new spider valve. didnt like it. it was just a spider with tubes in really. punchier sounding, and def a bit more defined by not what I wanted. so then I went a tried an engl thunder. and it wasnt bad, but the clean was to wet and bright sounding for me, and the distorsion seemed very classic rock voiced, or brightly voiced. and the gain just wasnt sounding right to be.

i currently have a 112 valveking, and its got groove tubes in it, and ive replaced the speaker for an eminence legend, and i must say i prefer the way it sounds to both of the amps i tried. the distorsion has a darker voicing, and the bass seemed thicker. and on the clean the amp was dryer sounding and more warm sounding. so i was wondering, what amp or amps the valveking is based on ? and what could give me a similar sound.
^Amps haven't been original designs for decades, they're always based on something else.
Def browse the Peavey Forum on the Peavey site. I remember some posts and seems to me it may have been loosely based on another Peavey.
Quote by uldhppi
Def browse the Peavey Forum on the Peavey site. I remember some posts and seems to me it may have been loosely based on another Peavey.

had a look. couldnt really find anything. but i did find a review, and the review said "has the crunch of a JCM900 and the air sound of the JCM800 Marshall"
but I also read that people think it sounds like a 5150. maybe the marshall bit refers to the power amp distorsion, cause the 5150 and jcm are very different sounding amps
opinions ?
The voicing of a Valveking is definitally a more american voicing, I belive, darker and thicker. Mabye it's a long long shot as something Mesa-esque?
Its kind of a "sort of" thing. You can adjust it to sound somewhat like those two, but I'm not sure you couldn't do that with some other amps as well. Hard to describe it but I'd say it is primarily an American-voiced amp with shades of British influence, mainly good for classic rock, but packs a little more gain than say a Classic 30 or 50. Not going to get as much gain as a 5150, maybe closer to the Marshall but the voicing is still different and distinct.
nice description. but here also lies my problem. the marshalls wont be voiced right, but the gain will be the sort of thing im after. the mesa ive tried the recto and the express and they didnt sound right though the expresses distorsion was similar. the 5150 would be good but it wouldnt have the cleans. the fender blackface amps would have the cleans, but would it be able to give me the gain. any ideas appreciated?
I don't have any suggestions, just an observation. Now you know why a lot of players own more than one amp. Your ear is good and you are particular. Its going to be hard to find an amp that does it all. Check out some of the dialoques between boutique amp owners, even spending multiple thousands of dollars they most often can't find the Holy Grail. Good luck friend.
I find the Valveking has a loosely JCM800-style crunch, a loosely Fendery clean and 6L6 output valves for a more American tone overall, it's a weird hybrid of an amp although the output valves can be changed...

What exactly are you after, tone wise?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by uldhppi
Its kind of a "sort of" thing. You can adjust it to sound somewhat like those two, but I'm not sure you couldn't do that with some other amps as well. Hard to describe it but I'd say it is primarily an American-voiced amp with shades of British influence, mainly good for classic rock, but packs a little more gain than say a Classic 30 or 50. Not going to get as much gain as a 5150, maybe closer to the Marshall but the voicing is still different and distinct.

+1, sounds about right to me. it had, to me, a fendery clean channel, and a more american-sounding overdrive channel, though not as br00tal as a 5150 or mesa...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Def
nice description. but here also lies my problem. the marshalls wont be voiced right, but the gain will be the sort of thing im after. the mesa ive tried the recto and the express and they didnt sound right though the expresses distorsion was similar. the 5150 would be good but it wouldnt have the cleans. the fender blackface amps would have the cleans, but would it be able to give me the gain. any ideas appreciated?

several amps, most likely... you're either going to have to compromise somewhere, or else suck it up and buy two.

there are amps that'll do both, but they're expensive... are you in europe?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
several amps, most likely... you're either going to have to compromise somewhere, or else suck it up and buy two.

there are amps that'll do both, but they're expensive... are you in europe?

indeed. im in the uk. home of marshall and laney. u thinking of something along those lines ?
^ probably not.
i guess he's thinking of a boutique amp of some sort.
prepare yourself for the price of it
Quote by The red Strat.
^ probably not.
i guess he's thinking of a boutique amp of some sort.
prepare yourself for the price of it

true.

though a laney vh100r is probably worth a look, plus an engl blackmore, without truly pushing the price.

Though if you're willing to go up in price, a brunetti xlr-evo, koch, framus, diezel, higher engls, etc. etc. would doubtless be worth a look.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Though if you're willing to go up in price, a brunetti xlr-evo, koch, framus, diezel, higher engls, etc. etc. would doubtless be worth a look.

i've been looking at the brunetti. god it looks sweet. i'd have to get down to cambridge to try one though. my uncle has a matchless cheiftan in his studio at the moment, so I'm going to go see how that sounds, as I've been told I'll be amazed by it.

is there any other high-end makes I should look out for ?

the only other ones I can think of are bad cat, matchless and bogner
Maybe the Joe Satriani signature amp? That looks pretty bitchin' if you got a bitchin' amount o' cash...
Quote by Def
i've been looking at the brunetti. god it looks sweet. i'd have to get down to cambridge to try one though. my uncle has a matchless cheiftan in his studio at the moment, so I'm going to go see how that sounds, as I've been told I'll be amazed by it.

is there any other high-end makes I should look out for ?

the only other ones I can think of are bad cat, matchless and bogner

oh, there are a bunch, problem is finding somewhere to try them in the UK. matamp make a high gainer, i hear it's good, but I haven't tried it. probably worth a look.

Haven't tried matchless, but hear good things.

oxford guitar gallery, if you're anywhere close (sounds like you aren't a million miles away) has brands like cornford, budda, etc. etc. bound to be worth a visit. Guitar guitar in edinburgh/glasgow/newcastle is pretty sweet too, but probably quite far from you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
also i should add, there's normally something really obvious which I forget...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, you forgot soldano SLO, you wally. but then that's heading up over the £1500 - £2000 price range so.. yeah.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Dave_Mc
also i should add, there's normally something really obvious which I forget...

hmm. maybe hiwatt. theyre british, and their new higain seiries looks promising. i found theres a music store in nottingham that sells matamps so next time up there im going to have to try some of their range.

do u think theirs any milleage in vintage amplifiers ? ive noticed old fender champs at the moment can be bought really cheap of ebay, and i know a few places in london that stock vintage marshalls
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ yeah, you forgot soldano SLO, you wally. but then that's heading up over the £1500 - £2000 price range so.. yeah.

haha, yeah. more like £2500, i believe.

I'm not too well up on vintage amps, to be honest. slats or uldhippi might be better people to talk to regarding those...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?