I'm in the market of buying a new distortion pedal and have heard demos of both pedals and like both, but not sure which has the best distortion. I mainly play stuff like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium, but Also write my own music. Which pedal would also be better for leads.

I'm asking here because my local guitar shop is moving and isn't getting the new shipment of pedals in until next week.

Thanks
Right now all I have is a 15 watt Crate amp, but I'm looking for a new amp that's at least 70 watts.
i honestly have no experience with the boss but i own the line 6. i love the noise gate and it has 3 different settings as far as the tone of the distortion. the scoop is pretty nice too if you want to mess around with how it sounds. i have no idea if the boss has these features but i have yet to find a downfall of the uber metal pedal. plus its fun to say. lol.
Quote by a4lrocker
i honestly have no experience with the boss but i own the line 6. i love the noise gate and it has 3 different settings as far as the tone of the distortion. the scoop is pretty nice too if you want to mess around with how it sounds. i have no idea if the boss has these features but i have yet to find a downfall of the uber metal pedal. plus its fun to say. lol.

i own one too and the only complaint is that it doesnt have as much distortion as i would like.
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Idk about the Line 6, but I have the Boss and it's pretty good, WAY better than the Metal Zone no matter what anyone else says.
i used to have the boss, and i loved it, probably the best distortion pedal i ever owned, and ive owned almost every metal pedal, i'd say go for that
Guitar:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Jackson DK2-L w/ Dimarzio X2N
Takamine acoustic

Bass:
Fender Precision Bass

Amp:
Marshall AVTX150H
Behringer BG412F
Marshall MG15MSII
yeah, I own the boss ML-2 and it's by far the best distortion pedal I've ever heard!
<BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA ! ! !
I had the uber metal for a two months before i returned it

sooo much hiss for me and just way to shrill and annoying, i was trying to play similar music to what you are trying to play too and it didn't work.

havn't tried the metalcore but i like the clips I've heard
Either way, your pedal is going to sound like trash through your amp. Just dont make the mistake of not asking here first. Ive found that the uber metal pedal was sterile, and very harsh. The metal core is pretty good, it gets the job done
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
the boss is awesome...set everything at half and it sounds like a jcm2000...crank up the gain and go nuts
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by wyldeshredder
the boss is awesome...set everything at half and it sounds like a jcm2000...crank up the gain and go nuts

I highly doubt that.
Quote by dm1925
i own one too and the only complaint is that it doesnt have as much distortion as i would like.

how much distortion do you need man?!
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
I own a Line 6 Uber Metal and a Boss Metal Zone, but not a Metal Core. I tried both a NYC Big Muff and a ProCO RAT in the store—neither had enough gain for my tastes. Here's how I compare the two I own (for comparison, so you can see the range of the scale, I put in a ProCO RAT in there as well):

Line 6 Uber Metal:
Tone: 7
Variety of tones: 9
Sound quality: 7
Gain: 10

Boss Metal Zone:
Tone: 2
Variety of tones: 5
Sound quality: 3
Gain: 10

ProCo RAT:
Tone: 3
Variety of tones: 2
Sound quality: 4
Gain: 5

The Uber Metal gets only an '7' for tone, since it's a far cry from any tube-based distrotion pedal or preamp, but IMO, it's among the best among the <$100 pedals. I would say forget both, and buy a Damage Control Solid Metal for $200. It's got dual 12AX7 tubes, and the YouTube demos sound incredible. I recently bought a $510 Engl E530 preamp, and it's awesome. I am never using a stompbox distortion device ever again (except, the Damage Control, if I ever needed one. I bet the DC pedals sound very similar to the Engl—they have the same tubes).
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Gotcha, Shread. You're right. But, the YouTube demos sound amazing. Search "Damage Control Solid Metal" and view the first one in the search result. Let me know what you think!
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

I had an old version of the Metal Core from years ago, called the Hyper Metal. Same pedal basically. Its not bad, but you have no mid control and the mids are heavily scooped. Not my thing. Lot of range in the OD control though. It also was a bit fuzzy. I would go with the Line 6, though the Line 6 does sound a bit digital/sterile to me.
I agree. The Line 6 is awfully digital and sterile. But then again, to me, ALL non-boutique, non-modded, non-tube distortion pedals sound like that to me. So, if the Line 6 sounds "digital," then the Metal Zone, IMO, sounds even more "binary." But, I like the Line 6 a lot because is has a LOT of tone control. There's 6 pots on that thing, plus a three-position switch, so you can get a TON of variations. It sounds like an oxymoron, to say that the Uber Metal has a lot of tonal control, but yet still has no actual "tone." But it's true. If you had one, you'd know exactly what I mean. No matter what you do, it always seems to end up sounding "flat," "thin." and "digital" in a mix.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 20, 2007,