Check it out

Crit for Crit, leave a link and i'll crit your work

this is a post-hardcore song from my band Joan of Ruin, its brand new so we want to hear what you think, we're playing with drop dead gorgeous and alesana on november 2nd!!! excited much

thanks

www.myspace.com/joanofruinband

its the first one

p.s. the drums aren't great i know, our drummer wasn't around so our singer did them, so don't be to hard on the drums, our real drummer is actually pretty amazing
Last edited by thecorduroyjims at Oct 21, 2007,
No offense man, but I honestly think that sucks pretty bad. The music isn't original at all. There really is no singing to speak of, just incoherent screaming that sounds like somebody being tortured. The part with a little bit of actually singing sounds pretty bad and just sounds like moaning. The recording quality is crap. The drums sound out of time for a lot of the time. There is a pretty cool riff that comes in the middle, but other than that the music is pretty boring. 1-2/10

EDIT: I listened to the second song, roadside victory, and the music and recording are a lot better. The singing is still really terrible, not just the screaming part but the actual singing. It's like just wailing so maybe you guys need a new singer. I would also recommend a new drummer he doesn't stay in time very well.

Even the third song is ok, the singing is really terrible though and would sound a hell of a lot better without the whole going into overdriven pissed off whiney screaming.

Again no offense is meant with all of this at all, I know it's hard to write music and get a band together and you seem to have done more than most are capable of but still you asked for a crit.
Last edited by altgrunge at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by altgrunge
No offense man, but I honestly think that sucks pretty bad. The music isn't original at all. There really is no singing to speak of, just incoherent screaming that sounds like somebody being tortured. The part with a little bit of actually singing sounds pretty bad and just sounds like moaning. The recording quality is crap. The drums sound out of time for a lot of the time. There is a pretty cool riff that comes in the middle, but other than that the music is pretty boring. 1-2/10

EDIT: I listened to the second song, roadside victory, and the music and recording are a lot better. The singing is still really terrible, not just the screaming part but the actual singing. It's like just wailing so maybe you guys need a new singer. I would also recommend a new drummer he doesn't stay in time very well.

Even the third song is ok, the singing is really terrible though and would sound a hell of a lot better without the whole going into overdriven pissed off whiney screaming.

Again no offense is meant with all of this at all, I know it's hard to write music and get a band together and you seem to have done more than most are capable of but still you asked for a crit.

First of all I want to say that I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate your crit. As you said the recording WAS really really bad. I had my version that I recorded and I gave it to a friend of mine to master. He did a horrible job so I played with it a little myself and it sounds much better now, so if you get the chance I request that you listen to it again.

However, we're a HxC band. We like screaming and it may just be me but I thought we have at least some originality, maybe I'm wrong but I'd like to hear some other opinions as well. Maybe opinions that assist my band and I to correct or change what we have written... not just shutting it down.

Thanks
Cody
Ok I listened to it again, it sounds better than before. Yeah I understand you're a hardcore band and the screaming sounds good for that style of music. The actual singing is stay way off key for a lot of the time though. I said it wasn't original just because to me it sounds like pretty much every other hardcore band I've ever heard but it may be because I'm not familiar with the genre. I recommend that you get your real drummer to do stuff because it would sound so much better.
Regardless of me not really enjoying the screaming personally, my unbiased opinion is there is too much. It bombards you at the start, maybe that is what you wanted, but it seems a bit all over the shop early on and not in time with the music.

After the first minute, it improves and that 'chorus' I suppose you could call it - be cause you have a great diverse way of writing by chopping time signatures etc - is pretty good.

It rocked my socks in places and in other places it didn't. I know you said you had trouble mastering, but at about the 3 minute mark I can hear this great melodic line being played, can't tell if it was guitar or keys, but I think you need to bring it to the front a little bit.

Overall, it's not my favourite style of music personally, but in terms of the genre and in general, it shows some promise.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697544 <<< MINE

I think I have natural talent for guitar because I'm left handed and I use that hand to pleasure myself. Seeing as I started playing after most of intense masturbating-teen years, the dexterity was already there.